Strange overclocking results

One note of caution. When you test these things, you have a decent chance of crashing the system. Which *can* lead to corrupted Windows. So make sure you have a good backup (backuped up with verification on).

All it takes is tuning one thing, causing it to bluescreen/die, and not being able to fix it even with win10 boot/recovery disk.

Could you walk me through this a bit? I'd be lying if I told you I was particularly computer-savvy. I know just enough to get myself into trouble, most likely. I downloaded Windows 10 directly from Microsoft. Considering the gear I have listed below, how would I go about getting prepared for this possibility (boot/recovery disk, back-up's, etc.)? I have the OS on the 1Tb NVMe SSD, along with DCS and my Steam/Oculus games and other flight sims. I imagine that's the one I really need to worry about, whereas I could just unplug the other ones if it gets screwed up, so they're not formatted if I have to use a recovery disc, right? Thanks for your help!

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero MB

Intel i7-8700K 5.2 GHz delidded & lapped

Corsair H100i CPU watercooler

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2 80+ Platinum PSU

EVGA FTW3 watercooled GTX-1080Ti

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Two Toshiba XG5 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD's

Various SSDs and HDDs, 24 terabytes

6 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans in push/pull on CPU and GPU radiators.

Windows 10 Pro 64, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog throttle and flight stick.

Thank you especially for your help and guidance throughout this process, B.M. !

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Veeam back is a solid software for doing backups. I use it too. Its also free with no BS attached.

Backup your pc to an external usb3 drive is best. Burn the recovery disc that comes with it !!!

Forget ms backup feature, its broken and unreliable over time.

Make notes when you change things, one at a time only,then work the rig and see what changed.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

AVX is always enabled, the only thing you can do in bios is define an OFFSET, with an offset of -3 the cpu will clock DOWN 3 X 100MHz when it does AVX code. AVX is pulling more watts and heats the cpu further up than any combination of code i know of. I have no offset but would never run an avx-load on 5.2g, max was 5g with temps closely watched.

Vccio and vccsa are no issue at ddr4-3000, the problems arise past 3200mhz and those values on auto, then they may rise above the healthy 1.2 -1.25v range.

By thumb, the faster the ram the higher io and sa need to be....up to until your intel ME goes haywire when booting, then the imc crashed along with me. Imc is integr. Mem controller, me is managm. Engine btw..

With your ram, leave it at auto for now. If it boots fine and ram is flawless its all good. It should be at 1.15-1.125 at most for 3000er ram

Irq modes:

Check Muxtang's posts, he got the link for the tool to change irq mode to msi. It may smoothen the system if irq isbehaving badly. There are informative links what this is about in mustang's post.

Typing on a amazon tablet, kinda hard to find post now. Its very recent....will post link once i get to a real machine. Waaahha

TAKE IT EASY, the 8700k rocks dcs even without any oc :)

edit: link to the thread with Mustang's post about MSI interrupt handling.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220117

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thank you especially for your help and guidance throughout this process, B.M. !

BitMaster gave you some advice. There are two types of backup. Well, there are much more, but for personal use, there are two.

First type is where you backup the files and not the actual operating system. The second type of backup is where you backup everything. So you take a snapshot of the entire disk. This way, if you were to restore the snapshot everything gets restored. The files, registry, operating system, DCS everything.

So BitMaster gave you some choices and other popular ones is Acronis.

Also, the backup programs come with the ability to create a bootable USB or CD/DVD discs. This is used to boot up to the backup program so you can restore everything w/o the dependence on the operating system.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I give advice all day long... IF THEY WOULD ONLY LISTEN :cry:

You have to grow into it, you cannot start as an admin and developer in 1 person.

Slowly, day by day over many years everyone can gather enough knowlwedge to master the Computers to a degree that you can always help yourself, with the help of Google these days.

That's pretty much how I do it these days; on an ad-hoc, on-the-fly basis.

There was a time when I could keep abreast of all the things that interest me. Now, being a 50-year-old student in medical school, with all of the cognition and memory issues that often come with age, I don't have nearly the time I'd like to spend learning this stuff the way I normally would; via textbooks, tech manuals, etc., so people like you who are willing to help an old man out are a Godsend!

Okay, so I did everything like you said, using AI Suite 3, HWInfo, and Prime95, both 26.6 and 29.4. Using 26.6, and setting AI Suite to "group tuning (all cores)", I was able to lower the voltage to 1.36 before I got a BSOD. From there, I set it to 1.37 and ran it for 15 minutes. Temps never exceeded 75 C at this point. Next, I set it to 1.41 volts, and started the later Prime95. I noticed, not long after I started Small fft's, the core votage in HWInfo, as well as the setting in AI Suite,went up to 1.525, even though I had manually set it to 1.41 and hit apply and OK, and the temps went up to about 91 C ! I shut it down (Prime95) the instant i saw this, and brought the voltage way down again, to 1.42. The temps came way down, but the core V reading was at 1.44. I slowly brought voltage down to 1.38, but the reading only came down to 1.41. It crashed at 1.37, so I went back to 1.38 and ran it for 15 minutes without incident, the temps staying below 73 C. I did notice that when the voltage was set this low, only 3 cores were at 100%. Going up to 1.42, all but 1 of the cores were at 100%. I brought the voltage up again to 1.48, hoping to get all cores running at 100%, but by this time, temperatures were getting high again, so I gave up trying to get all cores going at 100%. Running Prime95 version 26.6, all cores were always at 100%. I also noticed, while using 26.6 at 1.375 volt setting (what I settled on), that the indicated voltage was 1.376 while idle, and 1.392 (despite being set at 1.375V), which I thought was odd, being that you said it would run lower while testing. Could this be indicative of a problem?

By the way, all tests were with it running at 5.2 GHz. Tell me; given all this, how would you set this up, if you were using Oculus Rift, DCS, and other VR games? Would you make another OC profile, with lower speed and voltage? What speed would you use? 4.8 GHz? Also, I was hoping you could give me some guidance on overclocking/setting up the 1080Ti? Thanks again!

Edited by ElCuco68

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Sorry for my late response but I had to take my youngest one to ER and resulting in a 2-day stay at the hospital, he made < Flic-Flic from the couch and took a full-stop with his skull on the wooden table...Jesus & Maria, I was scared like hell when he started to throw up 2h later...so that much to why so late. Good thing is, he ALL OK now, little Franz is up & running again and we just got home an hour ago ;)

Something is not set correctly, if your SVID is really to OFF.

IF SVID is set to OFF the voltage will NEVER be higher than in IDLE and DROP when you put load on it, it drops, not rise !!! With LLC you define how low you let it drop down. **Volts set to MANUAL as well

Anyway, the numbers look more real now, 1.36 is somehow ok but I think with even more tuned settings you can go even LOWER.

Go to BIOS and make 100% sure SVID Suppor is DISABLED and that the other SVID thing is set to AUTO, not BCS and not WCS and not something else, AUTO is correct as others may override the SVID OFF setting.

The proof for this is, you cannot read any Wattage in HWinfo anymore. With SVID you can see how 205w go through it's venes, without SVID you CANNOT monitor this, you ONLY will be able to read the Volts, not Wattage.

YOu can see this in HWinfo , AiSuite or any other app that claims to show Wattage, it will read 0 or a very small value which is not correct.

Do that please and report back.

Now some old stories:

The reason I learned computers is simple, I had only 1 friend back then who knew computers..and sold them too, so from my 2nd PC I bought them for many years at his place and we put them together as a team, he was teaching me all I needed to built #3 almost myself, installed DOS and Win95 , ISDN and SCSI ( Scanner, lol good ol times ) Harddrives etc.., by the time I got my first TM Hotas along with EF2000 and Janes Longbow I already had all PC's from Family and friends at my place to fix. I was in my twenties, money was no issue, single ( GF version 0.95 )!!!, LOTS of time, really, I had LOTS of time for 10 years as my job was allowing it. I invested countless midnight hours into Windows, gaming, ISDN and later a thing called "Internet" when it emerged. Around 2001 I got bored from gaming anf thought, Windows 2000 is a much better game to explore, now lets do this, along with my 1st Linux steps, Fli4l ( Floppy ISDN for Linux ) Routers and such, I started doing networks and about a year later my ex-teacher needed my advice for his customers' networks. That is what you can do if you have TIME at hand and are willing to sacrifice it. About same time I had people coming to measking for prof help when "THEY" needed it and not when "I" have the mood to do it..LOL...so I went and got my a business allowance and started my IT-Services. Apart form some Military Community advertising I never advertised, spreading the news by mouth is much better and cheaper. Anyway, I did this for 15 years, serviced the private sector of Ramstein Military Community with all theor needs, Kindergarden, Library, OfficerÄs Club etc.. home visits till 11pm 9in the night and business customers during the day, I did nit game much back then, i played Linux Kernel games and fixing Windows Servers and Domains, until I ventured into BF 1942 and administrated one of the top3 world wide servers for many years on Linux and Windows. That got me back to games and GPU's etc.. I had more interest in 16-port SCSI/SAS cards and active ISDN controllers than GPU's...times change, and they constantly change, so I decided to get back to gaming with FPS games...which is NOT my thing I found out.

I flew D.I.D. series of flight sims till ca. 2001, along with Flanker series, both in a very active worlds wide squad, 214th Annihilators we were called.

So when FPS games started to bore me I constantly checked ED's forthcoming and 2012 I thought, lets get back to it. Full bore.

I have to say, I flew R/C airplanes, helis, cars ( I drove those ) from 1993 till recently. I gave it up as I have no more time and also money to finance both hobbies. R/C is much more costly than any Titan GPU you can buy, by far Gaming is cheaper..LOL.

I have quit my IT services last December to have time for my son but still do one or the other "old" customer that dont trust any other service guy, which I can understand. A true word is a seldom thing and for many, money is #1, for me, that never was the case and never will be. Truth and honest service and talk is my #1, even if I have to say NO to one or the other idea some customers have...I have heard a lot of BS sometimes..LOL.

In short, you need Time & Patience

Edited by BitMaster

Wow! Brother, I'm so sorry you went through that! My kids are my whole world, and I can understand how terrifying that must have been! I'm very glad to hear that he's okay, thank God !

Sound's like computers/ sims have been a recurring theme in your life. My first experience with flight sims goes way back to 1986, when I was a submarine crewman on a ballistic missile boat. The NAVET's had a computer in NAVCENTER with one of the big, green CRT screens, and the first "Gunship" game which, by today's standards, looks pretty silly. Back then, though, that seemed absolutely amazing. Then, in 1989, I was stationed at a clinic at Mayport, FL, when we got the Navy's very first medical records computers. Again, very archaic by today's standards, but boy did it feel space-age! We were mesmerized by the fact that letters and numbers magically appeared on the screen as soon as we pressed the corresponding buttons on a keyboard.We felt like NASA engineers playing with that thing! Even more amazing was our ability to send messages all the way to the other side of the clinic as soon as we pressed the buttons, just like magic! I thought to myself "we're gonna be flying in hover-cars, and beaming to the other side of the planet by 2020!".

Well, I tried doing exactly what you said (the only thing i needed to change SVID from "typical" to Auto. CPU SVID support was already disabled, and offset was zero, but nothing changed, unfortunately. I could still read wattage in HWInfo, too.

Edited by ElCuco68

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

OMG BitMaster. Sounds like he may have suffered a concussion. I'm glad he's back up and running around! Yikes.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I will do some screenshots of my Bios settings once I am done installing the October 10 Upgrade..ehhhh LoL.

SVID might still be on due to some auto-overclocking you may had engaged once. Best would be, take a note of your values that you need and then hit F5 ;). Make a clean fresh start and then disable SVID again, Volts to manual, Performance Mode to High Performance, LLC to 6, etc.. and then check if you can still read like 165Watts when priming or if it just read 5.175Watts like in my screenshot I just did to show you what I mean. I was priming when I did that screenshot, no real Wattage visible and my Vcore is 1.296v ( set to 1.300 ). If I do Small FFT's and AVX that will drop, but it will never be higher than what it is in idle.

1230473919_SVIDOFFWattage.thumb.JPG.18588d457a32323793659ee1bf125054.JPG

Okay, I'll do exactly that tonight. Let me ask you; would you set up another OC profile in BIOS that uses 5.0GHz, 4.8, 4.6, or some other value(s), and appropriately lowered voltages, to use under most circumstances, instead of 5.2 all the time? Or, how would you set things up for different circumstances? How about fan profiles? There's this button that's always on-screen, with presets like "silent, standard, turbo, and full speed" that apparently turn the fans up at different temperatures. I've noticed that if I forget I left it on silent or standard (usually silent is the one at which it does this), and I run small fft's, or on a couple occasions when I was using the Oculus, it's crashed. I also noticed that I only have a few temperature sensor readings; lots of blank spaces. I wonder if I should be buying sensors, or setting up ones that I don't know I have?

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

I have set my Bios to boot the rig at 5G @ 1.30v/LLC6, my fans are controlled from AiSuite as I have quite a lot of them and I like to be able to tune them while in Windows, Bios somehow wont let you do that.

With AiSuite in Win10::

When I think I need 5.2G for my Ego, I dial it in like this:

1st: RAISE the Volts to the proper value, 1.35v for me--->Hit APPLY

2nd: Dial in the 52x multiplier --> Hit APPLY

3rd: done

Same other way round: 1st ease off with the multi back to 50, apply, then lower the volts and apply.

It may well be that it will freeze or crash if you do both settings same time, more likely when you go back down to 5.

I would not use my rig at 5.2 24/7, why should I, for news and YT, RDP and VPN I only need 2.6G on my MacBook or any other proper i5/i7 since 2011. LoL...the 5.2G thing is an Ego Trip and OC experience, there is zero difference in DCS for now, not that I could tell any significant change.

I have 1 extra sesnsor for my RAM, pretty useless imho.

Pay attention to CPU/GPU heat, COOOOOL your VRM components properly and maybe pay some attention to a NVMe you have but that is not that super important.

Important is not to have heat build up inside, vent it properly, never stop all fans, never ever if you like your parts.

Silent Mode from AiSuite FanExpert4 will stop all fans, not good unless you have extra fans like I have that are Case-controlled and will still shuffle air in with 2x120mm and 1x200mm. I only control my 4x180mm rad-fans, 2x120mm top-down VRM fans and 1 x 120mm exhaust, the rest is ALWAYS on, slow turning on LOW but ON

As of last count, I've got 12 fans pulling in and pushing out air, 6 of then just on the radiators. I'm pulling air in from the front and bottom, and I have 3 fans on the top pushing air out, and seemingly doing a good job of it. Certainly better than my last set up, where for some reason I was trying to pull in air through the top, and pushing it passively out the back.

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Hey, sorry about being M.I.A. Had some crises to attend to. I'll get back here later today with results.

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

no worries, I hope you are all OK :)