Hawker Hunter.

ouPhrontis

+++

Hawker Hunter F.6/FGA.9 would be nice to see, British counterpart to the F-86F/MiG-15Bis.

Oof, the two seater version looks horrible. Could have picked a single seater for the picture!

Meh, I quite like the two-seaters myself :)

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Same. They are all beautiful aircraft though, single or dual seat.

I'm really surprised we don't have it in DCS yet.

Yeah, especially when they are quite a few preserved examples, as well as flying. Documentation, SMEs and pilots should be easy to access, different versions shouldn't require a heck of a lot of work. Won't have any part of it classified. It also should be quicker to procure owing to it's simplicity, not only that like I said perfect counterpart to the F-86F/MiG-15Bis

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Coupled with being steeped in history, Neville Duke breaking the sound barrier in a modified one, of which his Hunter is now down the road from me at Tangmere.

hunter_Mk3-01.jpg

Plus Tangmere also have this Mk5

Hunter_3.jpg

Edited by ouPhrontis

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Yeah, especially when they are quite a few preserved examples, as well as flying. Documentation, SMEs and pilots should be easy to access, different versions shouldn't require a heck of a lot of work. Won't have any part of it classified. It also should be quicker to procure owing to it's simplicity, not only that like I said perfect counterpart to the F-86F/MiG-15Bis

If the company doesn't want it to be simulated then you can't make a module out of it, regardless how much documentation there is.

If the company doesn't want it to be simulated then you can't make a module out of it, regardless how much documentation there is.

Well that's obvious enough. Though interesting how you say can't... I don't know why any developer or ED would block or make sure a Hunter "can't" be done, more like won't

... then you can't make a module out of it

I only mention the fact that documentation and SMEs are going to be easier to access as an incentive over modern aircraft, which while they're the stuff we really want, they take considerable fractions of the human lifespan to procure properly, even more so once you factor in bug squashing and completion to release state, let alone early access/beta (which some modules are still in). And funnily enough the aircraft present in DCS that best resemble the Hunter, and are otherwise the counterpart to the Hunter are one of the few actually feature complete and practically bug-free modules around (F-86F, MiG-15Bis).

• Perfect counterpart to the F-86F and MiG-15Bis, giving us a more complete era
  • Seen combat in 11 major incidents
  • Quite famous
  • Has multiple operators (including several countries operating around the SoH map, such as Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Abu Dhabi)

As previously stated

• Lots of preserved examples
  • Completely out of military service
  • Easy access to SMEs and documentation
  • Nothing classified

And therefore in theory faster procurement time, less potential for guestimated systems = more complete module (like the MiG-15Bis), with a faster procurement time, and finally a proper playable British combat aircraft besides the Spitfire...

Edited by Northstar98

System:

The Hunter fits well, the regions we have (and will have) fit (or can be interpreted to fit) with the conflicts the Hunter saw; the Suez Crisis, the Aden Emergency, the Sino-Indian War, the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965, the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, the Rhodesian Bush War, the Second Congo War, the Six-Day War, the War of Attrition, the Yom Kippur War, and the 2007 Lebanon conflict - to lift from W'pedia.

For whatever small benefit there may had from being able to pop up the road and ask nicely to be able to take measurements and photos of the F 5 WP190; I'd love to help in starting a simulation of this magnificent air-frame. They even have the 'Sabrina' pack and so forth on display. Yes it takes years to get it realized, but it starts somewhere.

AoM_Feb-34.jpg

Edited by ouPhrontis

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

On licencing issues, Hawker Aircraft was declared defunct in 1963 and Hawker Siddeley too in 1992. So who remains to be contacted regarding permission for simulating the aircraft, BAe, RAF?

I have procured pilots notes and service/repair manuals for the F6. Once upon a yesteryear I did pre-visualization, CGI using 3DS-Max 5, maybe it's time I dusted off some olde skills, if they still exist.

I didn't mean ED by the "company" but Hawker themself.

Well yes you did mentioned this. Did I in any way disagree with your written post? :D

Oh I see, my apologies razo+r

In that case, I believe that to be doubtful, Hawker aircraft went defunct and merged to Hawker Siddeley in 1963, Hawker Siddeley went defunct (with aircraft production) in 1977, the whole company merging with British aerospace, which then when defunct and merged to form BAe Systems in 1999. The Hunter ending production before these successive merges and ending frontline service 40+ years ago with the UK. So I can't imagine it really being a factor in that regards.

System:

Oh I see, my apologies razo+r

In that case, I believe that to be doubtful, Hawker aircraft went defunct and merged to Hawker Siddeley in 1963, Hawker Siddeley went defunct (with aircraft production) in 1977, the whole company merging with British aerospace, which then when defunct and merged to form BAe Systems in 1999. The Hunter ending production before these successive merges and ending frontline service 40+ years ago with the UK. So I can't imagine it really being a factor in that regards.

I don't know if I should say this (sorry if I shouldn't have) but as far as I know, a group tried to make a module out of it and after contacting BAe, they didn't want them to do so.

Edit: Don't take it 1:1. That's just the impression I got with it.

Edited by razo+r

I don't know if I should say this (sorry if I shouldn't have) but as far as I know, a group tried to make a module out of it and after contacting BAe, they didn't want them to do so.

Well if that's the case then it's better to know than not. I'd still like to know for sure, as this is a very tempting project, material is out there and relatively obtainable, people still fly these today; including civilians. With just a few quick searches I found even more examples of these kites in my local area.

Seems very odd I must say for an aircraft that finished it's service life with the UK 20 years before BAe even existed...

But if that's the case then blimey...

System:

Considering there are airframes in civilian hands too. It seems a bit silly to deny someone the rights to create a computer model of it. But thats corperate politics for you.

SD

Not even sure what the legal standpoint is, or if it's some gentleman's agreement and people being polite.

It might end up being a horrific turd, but I'm gonna gather material for an F6/FGA9 and see what I can come up with; already have service manuals and pilot notes. Know that these were fitted with MB 2H, and that I'm looking at possibly two 'pits, one ground-pound t'other intercept. If it's horrid enough maybe it'll spur someone to dive in and save it.

Edited by ouPhrontis
typos

• 4 weeks later...

Which do you prefer with the Hunter; Intercept, ground-attack, both?

F.6, FGA 9, with/without tail-chute, with/without dog-tooth extended leading edge wing etc.

Which do you prefer with this aircraft and why?

Note, the export F.6 - Mk 58 - as used by the Swiss was fitted to carry the AIM-9...

Edited by ouPhrontis

Currently I have quite a lot of information on the F.6 pre-leading edge extension.

I've reached out to current operators of the Hunter and also to BAE (once Hawker Aircraft, Hawker Siddeley Group, Hawker Siddeley, BAe), it is proving rather bothersome to obtain information.

One contact at BAE said they didn't know where to get that information due to it being for civi-support. Not giving up.

Edited by ouPhrontis

What a great photo, and now a sad sight near my former flying club, J-4083 became G-EGHH, now sat at Hurn, derelict.

Here, SVTONY, the same aircraft in your photo, now down the road from me;

867694.jpg

Believe it or not she's actually being sold off along with Miss Demenour, ironically, the same aircraft it was stripped of parts to support in the first place.

I was very interested in purchasing Miss Demenour a few years ago, kind of hard to believe she's still for sale.

I love that it carries Hurn's designation, I wonder if they'd considered transferring it at the time as that Mk.58 shows as permanently withdrawn from service. Several entries on CAA site for it, presumably as it was on other airframes.

Edited by ouPhrontis

Looks like the Swiss version could carry guided missiles as well (I thought that was a Maverick at first, Walleye maybe?)

image.raw?view=image&type=orig&id=1273

I don't know the context of this picture or if that's true.

We had a whole diffrent beast of a Hunter ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hunter_in_service_with_Swiss_Air_Force

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S