P-18 radar not able to detect very low flying Mirage at 35 km range?

D4n

Heres a picture of bunch of Carl Vinsons in Open Beta Caucasus from 10, 16, 23, 30 NM away (left to right). First ship should have the bottom 10 m blocked by horizon, second ship should have bottom 44m blocked ie. probably not visible at all or only portion of mast visible and the two farthest should not be visible at all if world would be spherical.

That was brilliant, thanks for clarifying beyond any doubt!

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

Of course, but you put in question if the engine is capable of that and i answered to it

"But I believe the map is still totally flat as engine would need to be able to draw a simulated sphere and get a water surface to curve as well for it."

Yes it is question, as if engine is capable, why not to use it then?

Like as we can see above post about carriers, new 2.5 doesn't curve. And you would think that new Caucasus would have used a such feature from begin....

So seems that engine ain't capable for that....

Of course of they can just apply the curvature without any problems or major work, all things considered it then can do it.

Radar curvature is simulated but seems not modeled.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Heres a picture of bunch of Carl Vinsons in Open Beta Caucasus from 10, 16, 23, 30 NM away (left to right). First ship should have the bottom 10 m blocked by horizon, second ship should have bottom 44m blocked ie. probably not visible at all or only portion of mast visible and the two farthest should not be visible at all if world would be spherical.

:lol: seems like the further they are the higher they levitate :music_whistling:

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Yes it is question, as if engine is capable, why not to use it then?

Like as we can see above post about carriers, new 2.5 doesn't curve. And you would think that new Caucasus would have used a such feature from begin....

So seems that engine ain't capable for that....

I would imagine that it's much less a matter of can or can't than it is an issue of, "is it worth the effort needed to make the terrain match Earth's curvature?"

For a completely new map that covers a large area, it might well be worth it. For a small map, or for an update of an existing map, probably not. Or at the least it's not a high priority.

Edit: the math for "cheating" the effect of curvature on sensor range is pretty simple if you're fine with a very basic LOS test. Remapping to a new coordinate system and checking for errors is a substantial amount of work. It's doable, but it takes a lot more doing.

Edited by esb77

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

Changing graphics to curved earth is relatively simple compared to changing the rest of the code that some way use coordinates (simulation, AI, MP code, etc., basically pretty much everything).
That is the thing... When they made me graphics engine they were likely redoing Caucasus map after that.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yes, but my understanding is that they were originally only doing a refresh of the free map, but it got more comprehensive incrementally.

As mentioned, technically the engine can model a sperical, or part of a spherical map, but the maps we have were either already started at the time the engine was folded out, or it was more efficient to just post process the effects of curvature in the sim.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually the simplified formula of radio propagation in direct LOS is:

R=1.23h

R: Nm

h: ft

75m = 246ft

R = 19.3Nm = 35.7km

IRL, for a radar, the lower the target, the more you have to deal with ground clutter which can further lower detection range.

Speculation:

Even if DCS map is flat, it isn't complicated to apply R=1.23h formula to sensors to simulate earth curvature effect.

To go further and for your culture (I don't think DCS goes that far):

IRL it isn't the end of the story, because with non standard temperature gradient (standard = temperature decrease with height, -2°C/1000ft), you can have surface duct effect, which increase both radar and radio range in low altitude.

fig155.jpg

For a ship at sea, this is a paramount tactical importance:

http://www.marinetalk.com/articles-marine-companies/art/TREPS-Helps-See-Ducts-113917T.html

It's the same principle for under water warfare with sonar propagation in water, depending on temperature.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi