GPU vs CPU time in SP/MP

Guzzo

Hi all,

I would like to have community opinion about a really unexpected drop in performance when I'm playing with my Oculus in Single Player or Multi Player mission.

I did a test and here's the result for the same scenario, using the Oculus Debug Tool.

With my current VR's settings here's the rendering time in SP:

GPU - 20/22ms

CPU - 10/12ms

For MP mission, in the same scenario (so, same airport, same hangar, etc. etc.):

GPU - 20/22ms

CPU - 30/32ms

As you can see, GPU performance is the same, it takes 20 to 22 ms to render a frame.

But, due to more than 2.5 time for CPU rendering (increasing from 10/12 to 30/32) my overall FPS drop, because it seems that CPU is the bottleneck.

I'm not a MP server, I'm connected just as client.

In the first case I can play steady with ASW at 45 fps. In second case I have to play less then 30 fps for MP.

I really do not understand why, in MP, CPU is involved in such a way to render the frame.

My CPU is a I7 overclocked @4200.

Thanks for help

Hi all,

I would like to have community opinion about a really unexpected drop in performance when I'm playing with my Oculus in Single Player or Multi Player mission.

I did a test and here's the result for the same scenario, using the Oculus Debug Tool.

With my current VR's settings here's the rendering time in SP:

GPU - 20/22ms

CPU - 10/12ms

For MP mission, in the same scenario (so, same airport, same hangar, etc. etc.):

GPU - 20/22ms

CPU - 30/32ms

As you can see, GPU performance is the same, it takes 20 to 22 ms to render a frame.

But, due to more than 2.5 time for CPU rendering (increasing from 10/12 to 30/32) my overall FPS drop, because it seems that CPU is the bottleneck.

I'm not a MP server, I'm connected just as client.

In the first case I can play steady with ASW at 45 fps. In second case I have to play less then 30 fps for MP.

I really do not understand why, in MP, CPU is involved in such a way to render the frame.

My CPU is a I7 overclocked @4200.

Thanks for help

My educated guess is that it is due to DCS being single threaded and having to handle the addition of the netcode stack in MP.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Thanks for your comment. In the meanwhile I did some other test with different MP servers and the result is heterogeneous: it seems that it depends from the kind of mission.

So, heavy missions impact more than I guess with client CPU performance

Hopefully the planned standalone server will include de-coupling of the "game" from the "server", thus at least allowing us to run the server AI loading on a different CPU core.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.