Conflicting answers on if I can add 2 extra memory sticks

Greetings,

I've looked a few different places and got conflicting answers on if I can add 2 new 8gb sticks (for a total of 32gb) to a Z370 plus gaming motherboard running Windows 10 and an 8086k chip. I have a new rig ordered and am wondering if I should suck it up and get 32gb from the jump or add a couple extra sticks if things don't run smoothly on VR.

Ideally yes, 32gb from the jump is best but is adding the extra sticks realistic?

Thanks

Chris

Adding memory that was not matched at the factory is always going to be hit or miss. It might work but it might not.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

4 sticks packs of ram are intended for quad channel motherborad. It's the only (or quasi) reason to provide 4 sticks packs.

If you have already 2 sticks it's quasi ok to add 2 same exact sticks. Exp. members would say they know by experience (and it's true) that it can fail. But I bet it's rare. I added 2 sticks (identical) in my last 2 PC and it was ok.

If you start from 0 stick, it's better to go 2 x 16 GB sticks (for a dual channel MB like your) than 4 x 8.

I may add this:

The faster the modules are that you pick and the tighter the latency that they have the less are the chances it will work as intended, incl. XMP.

I'd get 32GB in a 2x16 pack at 3200MHz. Any faster may or may not work unless the modules are in your QVL.

For an Intel CPU 3200 is still plenty, mine are 3600 but dont run at that speed in this board, so yes, one can have bad luck with excellent RAM modules. The board and the IMC play a big role too once you get fast and tight.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Yes, it can fail but it's rare. Even the same brand/chip/speed/timings/sub timings. To guarantee something they need to test them. They can't test the pair that you going to get later.

Edited by Demon_

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.