Encoders on T50CM(2) throttle

Shimmergloom667

So, I got my T50CM2 throttle the other day, and while it is a pretty damn great piece of hardware, I wish the two encoders on the grip were actual axis - since encoders in DCS are really limited, are they?

What do YOU guys user your encoders for?

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

I don't have any encoders on my controls yet, but if I did I'd use them for radio controls, lights, course knob, RWR volume in the F18.

I've never messed with any of that kind of thing, but surely it would also be possible to set them up to work as an axis. So an 'up' turn increases a virtual axis and a 'down' decreases it.

So, I got my T50CM2 throttle the other day, and while it is a pretty damn great piece of hardware, I wish the two encoders on the grip were actual axis - since encoders in DCS are really limited, are they?

What do YOU guys user your encoders for?

Encoder on the right of throttle handle is my radar ant elevation control, on the left is my manual range knob (f-16, haven't used it for anything in the hornet yet)

Two encoders on the base are for my heading and course knobs/switches.

Found encoders to be more useful to me, I set up the flaps lever to be a 3 position switch for flaps instead of an axis and the ring finger slider axis is just a zoom.

12900K | MSI Z690 | STRIX RTX3090 | 64GB DDR4 3600MHz | NVMe Storage gen3 | Custom Loop | Valve Index

An important note is to change them to buffered - that works a lot better for DCS, at least for me...

See page 9 in the "community manual" for the configuration software I started to write:

https://sites.google.com/site/mazexx...edirects=0&d=1

More in this post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242447

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

• 4 weeks later...
An important note is to change them to buffered - that works a lot better for DCS, at least for me...

See page 9 in the "community manual" for the configuration software I started to write:

https://sites.google.com/site/mazexx...edirects=0&d=1

More in this post:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242447

Thanks Mazex,

I’ll have a look over that later.

Encoder on the right of throttle handle is my radar ant elevation control, on the left is my manual range knob (f-16, haven't used it for anything in the hornet yet)

Found encoders to be more useful to me, I set up the flaps lever to be a 3 position switch for flaps instead of an axis and the ring finger slider axis is just a zoom.

Astronaut

How do you change the flap lever from an axis to a 3 position switch?

I too would like to use it as flaps.

Astronaut

How do you change the flap lever from an axis to a 3 position switch?

I too would like to use it as flaps.

you use axis to button configuration, see the tutorial links in my signature

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

• 1 month later...

Slow encoder rotation

Astronaut

Have you found a way to speed up the rotation of the encoders on you heading and course bugs? Normal encoder rotation is way to slow, using buffering and I end up way past where I want to set them.

I have no idea what scroll means, I can't see any difference.

If I could, I would assign the push button on the encoder as a shift causing the rotation to move the bug 5 degrees at a time and leave the normal position at 1 degree at a time. As of yet I cant find a way to change the rate at which the encoder changed the bug's.

I haven't looked at Joystick Gremlin yet, may it has the functionality to do what I want.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

I use mine as follows:

- Left side encoder - TGP zoom in/out, push in for FoV/RAID. Also doubles for antenna elevation in something like the hornet. In the Harrier, I use it for the nozzle STO stop lever. In the Spitfire, it's my RPM lever.

- Right side encoder - Could also be used for antenna elevation for the hornet. In my A10C, dial up to choose jammer mode, dial down to enable/disable jammer. The reason I do this is that the 5 way hat switch right there I also use as the CMS so all my countermeasures are right under my thumb on my A10C.

- E1 encoder, push to activate NVG, rotate knob left and right for brightness

- E2 encoder, I have mapped to Joystick Gremlin. When I'm in mode 2 or mode 3, (these are my approach/takeoff and ground startup mode) the push is for bringing up kneeboard and the dial flips pages for the kneeboard.

- E2 encoder in mode 1, which is my combat mode, I use it for HMD brightness for the Viper and the Hornet.

• 1 year later...
15 hours ago, HC_Official said:

the axis will still be active if thats what you are asking

I mean if u create a virtual axis in the virpil software and u open dcs, will u bind it in the “axis commands” section of dcs controls or in the regular keybinds section. Will it still show up as button presses or like a real axis in dcs

9 minutes ago, Skwirl865 said:

I mean if u create a virtual axis in the virpil software and u open dcs, will u bind it in the “axis commands” section of dcs controls or in the regular keybinds section. Will it still show up as button presses or like a real axis in dcs

If you set up a virtual axis, you'll bind it in the axis section in DCS.

dunno what you guys are going on about, I said axis to button bindings when replying to Alligin

you break your axis into 3 button ranges, so your lever can control 3 flaps settings by generating button presses when within these ranges

Edited by HC_Official
  • Like 1

No more pre-orders

4 minutes ago, HC_Official said:

dunno what you guys are going on about, I said axis to button bindings when replying to Alligin

you break your axis into 3 button ranges, so your lever can control 3 flaps settings by generating button presses when within these ranges

This - absolutely works a charm.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

17 minutes ago, HC_Official said:

I did that with the “lever” axis. Not 3 but 2. I did between gear up at 100%, 60-80% is flaps up, flaps down between 20-40% and gear down at 0%. 
you’re right about it working like a charm.  I love this thing and I haven’t had it but 3 days lol.  

I misread what u were saying. I have my encoders set the same way but to different functions but the same for hmcs in the hornet and f-16. I think I might steal your kneeboard encoder binding. I may actually switch my countermeasures to where yours is too now that I think about it.  It makes more sense than the thumb hat on the stick

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, skypickle said:

anybody figure out how to speed up the encoder dials? I need to turn them A LOT to get a gauge in DCS to reflect the input.

Yeah I use joystick gremlin to handle that

No more pre-orders

for a zoom function , if you dont have an analog axis for it but have 3 buttons spare maybe use button to axis config to do this (this is what I use for zoom on my virpil ALpha-L that is on my collective)

No more pre-orders