Issue with Collimator sight for Maverick

609_Relentov

Anyone else having issues with the Collimator sight for the Maverick flashing after arming the weapon and trying to slew to a target?

I was flying the Viggen tonight after a long break to get some practice, and I noticed the sight was acting strange. First was this flashing... seemed OK at first, after switching the armament panel to the RB75 position, master mode in NAV (also tried it in ANF). Once I armed the weapon and started slewing, the sight started flashing continuously. I could slew and lock, but it was very distracting.

Next odd thing was that the sight would stay flashing even after I flicked the cover to safe mode. Only after I rotated the armament dial did the sight go dark. After rotating back to RB75, it seemed OK for a few seconds, then once I armed the weapon and started slewing the same thing happened.

My NVidia drivers are fairly recent, so it shouldn't be that... just wondering if this is a known issue. I'm using open beta, and I just applied the latest update today.

The flashing is the ground collision warning. I assume you weren’t flying very close to the ground?

Edit: also note that if you fire a missile the radar will detect it and interpret it as ground so you’ll get a warning right after you fire a maverick.

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

The flashing is the ground collision warning. I assume you weren’t flying very close to the ground?

Edit: also note that if you fire a missile the radar will detect it and interpret it as ground so you’ll get a warning right after you fire a maverick.

Yes, one tends to fly low in the Viggen :). I must have missed that explanation in a previous update - new feature?

Thanks

It has been there since release?

Edit: here it is in a video from during development in 2015

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Ahhh ... this is new to me ... so, that's why my EP13 flashed a couple of seconds after each firing of a Rb75 ... good to know. The detail level of your Viggen is amazing.

On this video of mine, the flashing can be seen pretty clearly:

i93H3k3RPa8

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It has been there since release?

Edit: here it is in a video from during development in 2015

Hmm, I don’t ever recalll the sight flashing before (using Caucasus)... I was low but not cutting grass. Oh, and I was in the Nevada map last night and I didn’t set any QFE, so maybe that messed things up a bit (due to the higher base elevation ASL).

I’ll have to do some more tests.

Ok, after trying again and climbing a bit higher before using the sight, I’m not seeing the flashing (except after firing the RB-75s). Strange how I didn’t notice this before.

One thing seems a bit odd though - when slewing the crosshairs over a vehicle, after hitting TV it kept snapping up and to the right of where I was attempting to lock. In one case I just fired and it missed the target I was trying for. I know before it used to do this but still hit the target you had th crosshairs over (even if visually it appeared as if it was targeting an area beside the target).

Final post on the issue - regarding the slewing/locking of targets, I flew the same mission again and I realized the sight was locking fine. As it turns out, the issue was that where the ground units were (on an airfield), there was an object near them that was apparently of higher contrast, which is why the sight kept snapping to that object when hitting TV. With other targets it was locking up fine.