Plane selection advice needed

Aries101

Hello guys!

You may seen some of my posts on sub forums, but this caused so much confusion in me that I got completely lost. I am asking that since modules here are not that cheap and I wanted to have as much info as I could get before making a purchase.

So here is my problem. I want a plane, but I am not sure which one to take. Original idea was to get hawk have fun and do some shooting, maybe as side plane in some nice squad and generaly enjoy to fly. As i went and do some background research of hawk i noticed warnings of being almost forgotten by devs and left with loads of issues wich lead me to try some other choices and that was Albatros. That one, so it seens to me, is so simplistic that I guess it is only good for flying. So that failed too. Then someone said that Viggen is nice Cas plane, but when i went up on youtube I admit I was ceared off by amount of stuff that was in it, not to meniton that insane number coded navigation thing. After some time, someone suggested to look up Mirage. That has so huge list of bugs that I started to wander why anyone bought that in first place? :huh:

I would go with mainstream most likely and get A10C but I totaly dislike that plane and yea I admit I am biased in this but i guess it is just me.

As i am now sitting here and typing this I am trying to see is there anything left for me out there which I am not seeing at this moment or not. At this point I am almost convinces that I should just not buy anything. You may be shock just to even hear this, but I spend so much money on failed games that I just had nuff of that and now I am just extremely carefull to buy anything.

I do appreciate advice and i apologize if I missed right forum for this question, but it looked most suited for this.

Thank you

Hello guys!

You may seen some of my posts on sub forums, but this caused so much confusion in me that I got completely lost. I am asking that since modules here are not that cheap and I wanted to have as much info as I could get before making a purchase.

So here is my problem. I want a plane, but I am not sure which one to take. Original idea was to get hawk have fun and do some shooting, maybe as side plane in some nice squad and generaly enjoy to fly. As i went and do some background research of hawk i noticed warnings of being almost forgotten by devs and left with loads of issues wich lead me to try some other choices and that was Albatros. That one, so it seens to me, is so simplistic that I guess it is only good for flying. So that failed too. Then someone said that Viggen is nice Cas plane, but when i went up on youtube I admit I was ceared off by amount of stuff that was in it, not to meniton that insane number coded navigation thing. After some time, someone suggested to look up Mirage. That has so huge list of bugs that I started to wander why anyone bought that in first place? :huh:

I would go with mainstream most likely and get A10C but I totaly dislike that plane and yea I admit I am biased in this but i guess it is just me.

As i am now sitting here and typing this I am trying to see is there anything left for me out there which I am not seeing at this moment or not. At this point I am almost convinces that I should just not buy anything. You may be shock just to even hear this, but I spend so much money on failed games that I just had nuff of that and now I am just extremely carefull to buy anything.

I do appreciate advice and i apologize if I missed right forum for this question, but it looked most suited for this.

Thank you

:) Decisions, decisions, decisions...

When at a loss, there are the two free aircraft that come with DCS World, the P-51 (whatever the designation is) and the Su-25T. In the latter, you'll be dealing with metric but that's really not an issue, if you just remember a few airspeed numbers and don't waste time trying to convert to imperial. If you don't overload it with weapons, it's fun and easy to fly. In fact, she'll give you an excellent feeling of flight. And, then, when you're ready, you can take her out and blow things up.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

It is a tough one but it REALLY depends on what you want from the module. I'd consider the L-39 and the A-10C at different ends of the spectrum and both are incredible modules.

I guess I'll give you a run down of what I have and why.

F-5E - Simple, quick and easy to get in the air, the technology is rubbish so it's all about the pilot. I love it.

M-2000C - The only full fidelity 4th generation fighter we have at the moment until the F/A-18C drops. It's good, maybe great but doesn't feel as complete as some other modules and doesn't get my juices flowing like the F-5E. The bundled campaign is excellent.

AV-8B - It's going to be good, but it's very unfinished at the moment and I'm not happy about the pace of development after dropping $70 on it.

AJS-37 - I wanted it so bad but never got along with it for the same reasons that put you off. It is a top quality module, just not for me.

C-101 - I bought this for the CC variant that still hasn't arrived and with the flight model as it is now, it's gathering dust. The CC is like winter in Game of Thrones, it's coming (never).

F/A-18C - I've pre-ordered it, looks like it's going to be another A-10C level of simulation and scratch that 4th gen fighter itch. This might be the one for you.

A-10C - When you want a study plane, this is the one. Very capable and a lot of work (in the good way).

Devils Canyon i7 4790K @ 4.9GHz |16gb DDR3 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 860 EVO

Thrustmaster Warthog | Virpil WarBRD | Virpil TM-50CM2 Grip | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift S

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H

Thanks. I have enough data now. But now I got bigger issue. My opentrack with DIY clip stopped working in DCS for some reason. I am off to recheck is it working in say ETS2 (was working there). Before I get down to the point of this issue i will not buy anything but I am back in opinion that Mirage will be just fine, not best but there is not such thing as perfect buy nor perfect plane is it? As for opentrack i am usinf Freetrack 2.0 as output. Maybe someone else using opentrack and can help me...

Edit: opentrack is reinstalled and it looks just fine now. Buying Mirage .

Edited by Aries101

Why not Flamming Cliffs 3? it is a great access module. Sure it is not study level of detail, but if you don't want complicated planes, there you have a nice selection of fighters, interceptors, GAA and carrier planes with several missions and campaigns.

If not, I've heard that the F5E is a nice module if you like simple aircraft with attack capabilities.

If you want study level of detail, the best (at least till the Hornet arrives) is the A10C, but if you don't like the plane, then it is OK.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have been flying the A10-C since the open beta. It has enough systems to learn that it will take a great deal of time and effort to be thoroughly competent and it is a joy to fly even after all this time.

The F5 and Viggen are amazing planes and are very well modelled and fun to fly.

The WWII planes are all well worth a look and the spitfire in particular is a marvel of a thing to fly and shoot with.

The L39 and C101 are similar trainer types though do have/will come with armed varients.

The Mig 21 is worth considering too. I love it but never have enough time to fly it as often as I would like

I can't comment on either the harrier (my next choice to buy) the Mirage or the FW190 as I dont own them

I fly choppers predominantly so if you want to learn some aircraft systems have fun flying it and being able to carry large amounts of mixed ordnance then buy the Mi-8MTV2 :thumbup:

Also waiting keenly for my Hornet which I pre-purchased a while back

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, a few things come to mind. The Mirage isn't buggy, imo, it's in a fine state to fly. If you aren't sure about the complexity of the Viggen, well, it's not really that complicated compared to the A-10C, the Harrier, or the upcoming F-18, to name a few. Both are great modules, although the Viggen is a bit more niche in terms of what it can do.

The F-5 is a great module for learning to manage your energy, and you can basically forget about its radar, it's not useful for much in the way we think of more modern radars. If you were thinking of the L39 or Hawk anyways, the F-5 might be for you... the F-5 is very nice and simple in terms of the systems it has, and can still do an interesting variety of work. Another similiar plane to consider, when it comes out hopefully soon, would be the Aviojet C101 version with the weapons, but it's too early for that yet.

Hello guys!

Thank you

Easy.

If flying is what you want to do, and want great aircraft to do it in, get the FC3 package. That pretty much covers it up.

If you're not an A-10C fan, then don't get the A-10C. Yes, it's a great module, no, it's not something you can learn quickly :)

FC3 has plenty to keep you busy with. If you want more detailed modules, get the MiG-15bis and/or F-86F, both of which are great simulations and are a fair bit 'busier' than the ones in FC3. F-86 is easier to fly, MiG-15 actually performs better and has hefty armament :D

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Mig 21 - Unsafe Rocket, fun gen 3 Aircraft that is easy to learn but hard to master. It's very different from what you expect from let's say gen 4 jets. Crazy delta wings, fast approach, with delta wings it's hard to control when airborne in short this plane is INSANE, but that's why it's very fun to play. If you like weird things this plane is for you.

Mig 15 - Awesome little plane, really enjoyable, complete opposite of Mig-21 as far as maneuvering is concerned. A lot of ammunition to burn down many sabres. Very Well made module I got it for 25 euros on Steam sale and I think it's worth 2x as much. I've seen other Mig-15's on other simulators (even premium ones) but DCS one is THE BEST

Flaming Cliffs 3 - I don't like flying basic aircraft but this is must have if you love Russian Jets, also there are some good campaigns included.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Take F-5 its an awesome jet. Fast, agile, easy to learn. It will bring you a lot of fun.

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

Just from my short experience, after years of hiatus away from flying sims.

A10C - the only plane that makes sense for a beginner imo, easy & enjoyable to fly, not too overly complicated avionics but with enough depth to keep you interested, has quite a few nice campaigns, only downside is being so old it's not up to date from a graphical pov but in short I love it

F-5E - simple and easy to fly but not too great as a turn fighter, worth it

MiG-21 - I have trouble with takeoff & landings and it's the equivalent of a '70 supercar, again worth it

FC3 - worth it just for the russian jets

I refrained from purchasing Harrier, Mirage and Viggen from the same reasons as you (unfinished, buggy, slow development), I would buy them only when on sale.

I'll get the F/A-18 even if it's gonna launch in an unfinished state because it looks awesome so far.

My best suggestion, beside personal opinion and which kind of roles you like to play (single and multiplayer), I can suggest to read the Chuck guide, books and story of the aircraft.

Takes time, wife will complain of what you are reading in your bed, but it gives much more if you invest money in something that you know and like.

You actually almost anwsered your own question.

Get the plane you llike and are thrilled about the most in reality. Also understand if you're more interested in the AA or AG. Then look how much content you get for it - stock campaign, DLC campaigns, user made missions.

Since I have a few modules I can also share some opinion:

Blue Team:

• A-10C. Module that defined the full fidelity simulation and DCS. Due to systems still after many years the most complex plane to learn. It also has the most of the additional content from all DCS modules, including paid DLC campaigns and free community made missions. Obviously extremely specialized - CAS, COIN focused. It's not really a strike plane.
    Minus: Nothing with the module coding. Texturing could get some refresh. As for the plane itself - soooo slow, not a "fun" of a plane to fly.
  • M-2000C. Consider it mostly a fighter with some added AG capabilities. It comes with one of the best stock campaigns in DCS. Though there are still some issues and things that don't work it's overall in a quite good and solid shape. The best option currently if you're up for a modern fighter. To some extend it's also versatile.

• AJS-37 Viggen. Strike aircraft. Totally opposite to A-10C - which is good for long loitering and picking up the targets. AJS-37 philosophy is to fly fast over a pre-planed route to precisely execute a single strike and get back home as fast as possible. IMO the best quality art cockpit as for now in DCS. The only minus is not that much of a content available at the moment. The module itself is quite completed.

• F-5E. Nice small plain but unless you're crazy about F-5 don't get it as a priority. It's one if not the simplest jets in DCS. If you want a plane from that era get MiG-21 first as it's much more capable with more systems overall giving more bang for the $. Get it on the sales. Otherwise nothing wrong with the module itself though the radar could get some love to move it away from that paint/pong look.

• AV-8B. AG and CAS focused. More versatile than A-10C. IMO way too early in the development process unless you're great fan of it. Even in that case get it only if discounted.

• F-86F. Great plane with almost no content except of a great museum relic campaign. A bit more versatile than MiG-15 with more AG strike options.

• C-101 Aviojet. Lacks a professional flight model. At the moment don't get it unless extremely discounted.

• UH-1H. Unless you're a fan of it get Mi-8 first as it's more complex, capable and faster.

Red Team:

• MiG-21 bis. I'm sure there will be people that will bring out some issues with the module but frankly speaking I love it. Judging by the popularity of the cold war server I'm not the only me. The only real issue is the stock campaign which is the weakest one from all DCS stock campaigns.
    The plane itself is actually quite advanced. It has front aspect attack capability, automatic sights, quite wide range of ordinance, night operations capability. IMO much better option than a simplistic F-5.

• L-39. Now this is a special one. Aazing little plane to fly around. Not so much capable when it comes to actual combat employment but don't underestimate its possibilities. If you're up into aviation, practicing the flight procedures, navigation, approach patterns, some of IFR, IMO it's the best plane in DCS. Not the fastest one but also a joy to fly. If you're up for a trainer, L-39 should be a priority buy. L-39 provides a great learning curve for MiG-21.

• Mi-8. I'm biased as it's my favorite module in DCS. Quite complex, amazing flight model, fast, pure fun to fly. IMO comes with most immersive campaign in DCS. Obviously preliminary a transport but can take quite a lot of ordinance.

• Ka-50. The only attack helicopter at the moment. Most of the fun comes from employing tactics rather than flying it. IMO quite opposite to Mi-8.

• MiG-15. As in case of sabre. Great plane with almost no content.

However - F/A-18 is coming soon. Maybe it's worth to wait for it. Skip the FC3.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

A10C - the only plane that makes sense for a beginner imo, easy & enjoyable to fly, not too overly complicated avionics but with enough depth to keep you interested, has quite a few nice campaigns, only downside is being so old it's not up to date from a graphical pov but in short I love it

MiG-21 - I have trouble with takeoff & landings and it's the equivalent of a '70 supercar, again worth it

I refrained from purchasing Harrier, Mirage and Viggen from the same reasons as you (unfinished, buggy, slow development), I would buy them only when on sale.

I'll get the F/A-18 even if it's gonna launch in an unfinished state because it looks awesome so far.

TIP for MIG 21

A lot of people die in Mig 21 landings because they don't leave their joystick after touchdown, due high speed for landing any additional control with stick will cause the Mig roll a bit on left or right side that will cause breaking of gears.

If you are going 350 and you touchdown, leave your stick immediately and don't play with throttle few seconds before landing :D or you will Roll xD and again loose your gears.

I have created A MISSION just for Mig 21 landings, and I practice them every now and then.

It's ridiculous cause I never had any problems WITH ANY OTHER PLANE, my landing success rate with other planes is 100%, but Mig 21 is insane rocket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't be scared of the M2000C. Reports of its bugginess are greatly exaggerated. There are a few issues (namely with INS bombing), but if you want to learn a DCS bird the M2000C is a good one. It is fly-by-wire, has an excellent and intuitive autopilot (use the trim hat to assign attitude hold and heading bug), an informative HUD, a fairly easy start-up (INS alignment is the long pole in the tent, but it isn't difficult), and is a lot of fun to fly. You can play with the radar and INS, but you can also set them and forget them. The air to ground modes are dictated to you by your stores, so you don't have to worry about various drop modes and selecting the right one. Finally, the approach mode provides you with great cues for maintaining speed and AoA in the delta wing, and if the runway is in the iNS you also get a synthetic runway for landing in bad weather (a cool feature). In short, this is a great plane to learn how to fly and fight before jumping into more complex and more work-intensive rides.

I absolutely love the AJS-37 Viggen, but it is not a great CAS bird. It is a great strike bird, which is a completely different mission. It's only real CAS weapon is the Maverick, and even then it's a fixed zoom which makes it difficult to differentiate targets (bad in CAS unless you have a separation of forces). There are idiosyncrasies with the computer, but these are easily learned. You can make a living in the Viggen dropping high drag bombs in CCIP mode without ever having to tweak the smart weapons using the CK-37, and then you can learn the computer once you feel like branching out.

FWIW, for people new to DCS, I normally recommend the M-2000C over even FC3 aircraft.

Just to add in that the Mirage has an absolutely fantastic campaign, probably the best and most immersive campaign in DCS. It's really on another level compared to most other modules. In terms of its bugs, there is absolutely nothing serious or game-breaking to worry about.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

what?

the F5E is a great "turnfighter" its more agile than the Mig21.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Hm big post failed. I hate this timer here ED! ANyway. Mirage is very nice, no bigs so far, love it, solid training missions and Albatross is comming as soon as I see discount on it. Fly safe!

M2000C is a good choice. I have it myself. But fur the near future Id suggest the F/A18C hornet when it releases. At this point Early access is not that far away ( end of spring at the very latest), this the most Versatile aircraft in DCS up to this point being able to perform a variety of missions in the 4th generation era.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD