heading given by the control tower - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
kingofland

Default heading given by the control tower

Hello everyone, How to use the direction heading given by the control tower of the aerodrome that we want to join, because by control on the map f10, the heading does not correspond to the position of the aerodrome. Thanks for your help
kingofland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #2
Captain Orso+
Posting Rights Suspended

I may be wrong--I'd appreciate hearing a different explanation, if there is one--, but I believe the directions are to the start of the standard glide-slope for landing jet aircraft, which is around 5-10 miles out.

In a WWII environment it makes no sense, but it's not been adjusted yet. The entire ATC situation really has to be overhauled for WWII missions, but not only for WWII IMHO.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #3
MAD-MM

The difference between Map Course and Control Tower Course is one is Magnetic Heading and the other one on your Map is true Heading.
Because the magnetic North Pole is not on the Geographic North Pole.
When you fly the Control Tower Course the MH Heading this leads you with your Compass direct to the Airfield.
Called QDM Heading in Aviation...

9./JG27

Last edited by MAD-MM; 01-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
MAD-MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:47 AM   #4
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

You should add 6 degrees to their heading or subtract to be where the intercept is

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
WildBillKelsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
Captain Orso+
Posting Rights Suspended

From my experience the issue is not a difference between magnetic and map north.

Situation:
airfield with runway 9/27
I am fly directly south of the airfield about 5 miles
I call the airfield and request navigation assistance
the airfield says something like - 280°

IIRC you are not told how far on course 280°, but that is not the point. The only logical reason to send me alone 280° is to enter the landing pattern of runway 27, which starts way out there for jet aircraft.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
Old 01-25-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
MAD-MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orso View Post
From my experience the issue is not a difference between magnetic and map north.

Tower give you MH Heading to the Airfield not to the Runway, after the Tower stays in the middel of the Airfield and not at the End of the Runway there is discrepancy in Course. (In real Live it is a Loop Radio Antenna on the Tower that pics up your Call and give you a Direction)
Second MH Bearings are Rounded for the Runway on the Map because you can not tell on a wobbling Compass it is 273 or 277 Degrees.
And not enough in DCS is a slight discrepancy over the rounding, when the MH Heading is 270 on the Maps sometimes radio Call as you mentioned is 280 and correct without rounding would be probably 275.
You can test this on Nevada because Magnetic variation is here much bigger then on Caucasus it is around 13 Degres so far i remeber...
Jets dont use odinary Magnetic Compass for Navigation, because lot off errors in the Direction where you fly in Speed Changes and so on...MIG21 for example use a Gyro Stabilized Compass...
Edit attacked Picture probably this makes more clear...

9./JG27

Last edited by MAD-MM; 01-29-2018 at 04:27 PM.
MAD-MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:01 PM   #7
Captain Orso+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD-MM View Post
Tower give you MH Heading to the Airfield not to the Runway, after the Tower stays in the middel of the Airfield and not at the End of the Runway there is discrepancy in Course. (In real Live it is a Loop Radio Antenna on the Tower that pics up your Call and give you a Direction)
Second MH Bearings are Rounded for the Runway on the Map because you can not tell on a wobbling Compass it is 273 or 277 Degrees.
And not enough in DCS is a slight discrepancy over the rounding, when the MH Heading is 270 on the Maps sometimes radio Call as you mentioned is 280 and correct without rounding would be probably 275.
You can test this on Nevada because Magnetic variation is here much bigger then on Caucasus it is around 13 Degres so far i remeber...
Jets dont use odinary Magnetic Compass for Navigation, because lot off errors in the Direction where you fly in Speed Changes and so on...MIG21 for example use a Gyro Stabilized Compass...
Edit attacked Picture probably this makes more clear...
I just tested this. In the Spitfire and the P-51D at Batumi. If you call ATC for navigation assistance you are not given directions to the airfield. You are given directions to some point several miles out along the glide slope leading to the runway.

I was over the bay north-east of the Batumi airfield and requested navigation assistance. I should have gotten an azimuth of about 235°, but instead I got a heading of about 285°. That's not a difference between magnetic and map north. That's a completely different location.

So I flew out along 285° until I had passed over it and was just south of that point and requested again, and instead of getting a heading of something around 135° I was constantly directed to a point way out in front of the runway.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
Old 01-28-2018, 10:35 PM   #8
grunf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orso View Post
If you call ATC for navigation assistance you are not given directions to the airfield. You are given directions to some point several miles out along the glide slope leading to the runway.
I think it's the same point you get when you call inbound.
grunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:51 AM   #9
Captain Orso+
Posting Rights Suspended

IIRC that would be correct. I generally am not calling inbound until I'm so close that I immediately get the "call tower" instructions, so I haven't heard that in a long time.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
Old 01-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #10
kingofland

Default ATC wrong heading

Hello again to allI just tested the ATC support request with DCS 1.5.8. ATC gives the right heading to the air base (attention to declination) controller with map F10. With DCS 2.2 the heading is bad and seems to be more of an approach heading. I think for DCS 2.2, request assistance or approach heading is the same question.Thank you for your help
kingofland is offline   Reply With Quote