DCS Graphic Settings

Dougal

Still haven't even got off the ground yet in DCS:-) I'm 'feeling my way' around the settings and controls etc. TBH, i find it quite a challenge before even taking to the sky;-)

I have no idea where to set the video settings. Should i just use the generic presets, or should i crank everything up until i notice a performance drop??

Although the aircraft is sharp and crisp, the outside textures seem really 'vague' and sort of, out of focus. Maybe that's just how they are? Do I just need to stop making comparisons with other sims?

Asus Z170 Deluxe - i7 6700k@4600mhz - 16gb Corsair DDR4 RAM@3200mhz - Asus Strix GTX970

Although the aircraft is sharp and crisp, the outside textures seem really 'vague' and sort of, out of focus. Maybe that's just how they are? Do I just need to stop making comparisons with other sims?

Make sure Depth of Field is set to off in the graphics settings. That gives a motion blur on exterior view.

Also what are you system specs? Might give a better idea for any recommendations.

On my rig - specs in sig - I can run pretty much everything about maxed out.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Can't see where to add specs as sig so will add here...

Asus Z170 Deluxe - i7 6700k@4.7 - 16Gb Corsair DDR4 @ 3200mhz - Asus Strix GTX 970

What and where are the "free texture packs" please?

Asus Z170 Deluxe - i7 6700k@4600mhz - 16gb Corsair DDR4 RAM@3200mhz - Asus Strix GTX970

Can't see where to add specs as sig so will add here...

Asus Z170 Deluxe - i7 6700k@4.7 - 16Gb Corsair DDR4 @ 3200mhz - Asus Strix GTX 970

You certainly should be able to run at very high graphics settings with that rig.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just turn everything up and see how it runs. It runs fine on my 4690k + gtx 970 combo. Also get yourself one of the great free texture packs.

Are those packs for v1.5? The instructions seem to refer to a different file structure.

Just like with other sims of partially open architecture, there have been a crapload of mods developed by community for this one (check the "mods" section of the forum), including a few terrain texture packs for default v1.5.x Caucasus map. Choosing the "best" one is strictly subjective matter (eyecandy vs performance preferences). Testing them one by one is the only way.

Search for terrain texture update by Starway (a few versions available here on the forum), other update by Barthek (will have to google for that one, 'cause both author and his creation have been banned/removed from this board), other one by Mustang (google is Your friend too) and texture mod compilation by PicsKing (combination of all three aforementioned, also available here). As for modding DCS in general, keep in mind that:

a) older versions of various community mods might not be compatible with newest version of the game;

b) every official game auto-update will erase all mods (updater works like Steam integrity check), so before updating, it's better to use mods with any quick enabling/disabling software You're most probably already familiar with from other games (JSGME being most popular here as well). And it's not only about updater - whenever You mod any PC game, there's always a risk of something going tits up and DCS is no exception. That's where disabling faulty mods quickly saves a lot of time & effort.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Are those packs for v1.5? The instructions seem to refer to a different file structure.

Check the link posted above. You need to install the texture mod with JSGME. All is explained in the thread (or links to other threads). The Starway or Barthek texture mods make 1.5 look a lot better. You do need to keep in mind that the default Starway texture mod will change the shadows.lua which will prevent you from playing online. If you do play online, find the default shadows.lua and overwrite the modded shadows.lua with that. With the default shadows.lua you will be able to use the texture mod online and it will look just as pretty.

"Starways Black Sea map 2.4" is the latest release. For Barthek his texture mod you will have to look on the forums. It should not be to difficult to find, since they both have a lot of users.

Edited by fixen

Here is a post I made not to long ago with some screenshots of the graphic settings page.

2560x1440 with Gsync, GTX 1070

Only I5 tho @ 4.0

2.0/nevada runs a little better for me too, Nevada has to be purchased to use 2.0 alpha tho.

Left control + pause key brings up, cycles through showing FPS on screen for testing.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link