Well...flight models. - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #11
JG3~Siggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
How long haveyou been playing DCS, its not your average sim where you can jump in and be an Instant Ace. you might need to re-learn aircraft you have flown in other sims, and really understand their strengths and weaknesses.
Not very long at all. I've had it on and off the PC for years, bought the Mustang a couple of years back but rarely flew it. 190 about a year ago, ditto and the 109 a week ago. 2.5 is where I thought it would now be worth properly getting into it.

If the AI weren't 'cheating' the way they are I might not have suffered this bad impression. I went with the general consensus around various forums that DCS is the FM of FMs and it didn't much occur to me the AI would be so bad.
That's actually a really bad thing in terms of attracting new blood, because if they don't bother to post about it as I have they'll assume it's just a really bad player-plane FM and not come back. Something maybe for the devs to think about.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #12
probad

you should post some replay tracks
i am frankly quite stumped at your descriptions of the 109's lack of performance

not that i don't recommend plunging straight into mp, but i think you're overemphasizing the deficiencies of the ai flight model. they're not so significant such that the fundamentals of bfm no longer apply.
hahaha hey look at me i surely know more about aviation and coding than actual industry professionals hired for their competency because i have read jalopnik and wikipedia i bet theyve never even heard of google LOL

Last edited by probad; 02-07-2018 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #13
JG3~Siggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by probad View Post
you should post some replay tracks
i am frankly quite stumped at your descriptions of the 109's lack of performance

not that i don't recommend plunging straight into mp, but i think you're overemphasizing the deficiencies of the ai flight model. they're not so significant such that the fundamentals of bfm no longer apply.
Nine times out of ten, any deflection be damned, it's pilot-kill from the first burst (average AI, which is rookie as it's the lowest possible setting in the editor).

Never mind the total lack of any apparent energy bleed from the tightest turns, turns that have the 109 and 190 staggering like broken-legged rhinos if they try to match.

I'm not going to judge the game by offline play, it's obviously not a fair meter. But I can guarantee you it's done incalculable harm in regards to both experienced and first-sim players and further revenue thereof. They'll fly against the AI and drop DCS like a hot brick, whichever explanation they go with (rotten player FMs or rotten-cheat AI).

Want to bring in new players? Make the AI, at least on lower settings (rookie, average), reasonably easy fights. That's simple 101.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #14
JG3~Siggi

And BFM, it doesn't apply against AI that is coded to cheat so heavily. What you're talking about there is learning the AI's simplistic routines and then exploiting them accordingly. That's not BFM or dogfighting unfortunately, that's just finding a way to beat the computer by exploiting its stupidity. It doesn't have to BFM, it just pulls insane turns that the human can't counter unless he plays game instead of sim. From my observations thus far it has three moves...hard turning climb, hard turning dive and extend away before spinning on a sixpence and coming back.

Try and turn with it, you stall. Try and extend, insta-kill. Try and climb, insta-kill. Dive, chased and insta-kill unless you head for the horizon with the pedal to the metal.

How to exploit...cut across the circle, IF you can turn into it in time, and full-deflection shoot. The AI won't do anything to avoid that because it's a three-trick pony.

But that's not BFM or dogfighting, that's code-bashing. Lol.

I have 94 gun-cam vids on youtube, from my online CloD career, if you want to see how rubbish I am. I retired un-killed from that very long run against some very good human foes.

Last edited by JG3~Siggi; 02-07-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #15
Charly_Owl

CloD career... Riiight...

I remember you and your numerous FM threads on multiple forums and your banishment from them.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/63950...1317/?l=german

I think I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:22 PM   #16
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG3~Siggi View Post

I have 94 gun-cam vids on youtube, from my online CloD career, if you want to see how rubbish I am. I retired un-killed from that very long run against some very good human foes.
Well, welcome to the major leagues then

Don't think the real virtual pilots that have been flying this sim for a long time are going to be much easier for you, if you have trouble with the AI, I am pretty sure the DCS Aces are going to put you through your paces, and if you are a fan of the simulation of WWII aircraft, then you should enjoy that experience as well... good luck!
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
Closed Thread