MMjoy - Page 55 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #541
RightStuff

No idea, if it really works (read comments!), but if so it is a neat and cheap solution:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/KCBfJTpQ

If anyone knows another RTU product, pls note here.
RightStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #542
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Sokol1_br

Mungo13

Shift Register.

First, you need make PCB, soldering m/c, diode, resistors and pins.

Then connect this Shift Register PCB in Arduino/MMjoy2 through serial connection, using 5 wires.

Each Shift Register chip control up to 8 buttons.

You can put 8 pair of pins in PCB or 8 individual pins + 1 common, so connect buttons/switches/encoders there is "PnP".

You can chain additional Shifter Register in first connected to MMjoy2, up to 128 buttons (16 chips).

Look in Debolestis "Suncom restoration" topic there, are a comprehensive how to about Shift Register (CD4021) including links for order PCB in OSPark.

In Arduino/MMjoy2 you can use CD4021 (same used in Thrustmaster F-16FLCS/F22RO, Cougar/Warthog/F-18 AddOn and VirPil grips) or 74HC165.
Both are cheap and do the same thing, just PCB layout is different. In MMJoy2 files package are PCB for 74HC165.

Diode Matrix work OK, but is PITA for diagnostic when something is connected wrong, because a fault connection affect all buttons after. And wiring looks a "cob web".

Last edited by Sokol1_br; 09-05-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Sokol1_br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:14 PM   #543
sinuos

Is there any video showing all that ???
Old 09-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #544
Sokol1_br
Veteran

I think no, never see.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #545
mungo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
Spoiler:
Mungo13

Shift Register.

First, you need make PCB, soldering m/c, diode, resistors and pins.

Then connect this Shift Register PCB in Arduino/MMjoy2 through serial connection, using 5 wires.

Each Shift Register chip control up to 8 buttons.

You can put 8 pair of pins in PCB or 8 individual pins + 1 common, so connect buttons/switches/encoders there is "PnP".

You can chain additional Shifter Register in first connected to MMjoy2, up to 128 buttons (16 chips).

Look in Debolestis "Suncom restoration" topic there, are a comprehensive how to about Shift Register (CD4021) including links for order PCB in OSPark.

In Arduino/MMjoy2 you can use CD4021 (same used in Thrustmaster F-16FLCS/F22RO, Cougar/Warthog/F-18 AddOn and VirPil grips) or 74HC165.
Both are cheap and do the same thing, just PCB layout is different. In MMJoy2 files package are PCB for 74HC165.

Diode Matrix work OK, but is PITA for diagnostic when something is connected wrong, because a fault connection affect all buttons after. And wiring looks a "cob web".
Thanks and to all.
I am very bad at electronics thus I am trying to figure out how the things works. For original MJoy I had somewhere even plans for PCB for matrix array with some blocks to channel branches of buttons into one connector thus reducing wiring and it was readable to me. This is one step more.

If I use Debolestis' files and schemes (at least some of them are TM compatible - that was something I was looking for) would it be possible to connect them to Arduino/MMjoy and use provided programming of the controller board or it would require some re-work?
As for beginner it is easier to focus on one basic layout even if it is used for different controller types.
mungo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #546
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungo13 View Post
T
I am very bad at electronics...
When I discover MMjoy ~2006 in (RIP) Sukhoi, I only know make weld reasonable, and that in electricity + and - can't be mixed.

But venture in make a homemade PCB, with trails traced by free hand, and solder components, and the thing work, even after I mix + and - wires and make some smoke.

Diode matrix scheme for MMjoy can be used in MMjoy2 - that is update of MMjoy code for cheap Arduinos, avoiding need assembly PCB like I did in 2006.
But MMjoy Diode Matrix PCB is a bit complicated, using old HDD connectors, is more easy draw new layout.

Weld a m/c support and 1 condenser and 8 resistor for Shift Register PCB is more easy that weld MMjoy Diode Matrix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungo13 View Post
If I use Debolestis' files and schemes (at least some of them are TM compatible - that was something I was looking for) would it be possible to connect them to Arduino/MMjoy and use provided programming of the controller board or it would require some re-work?
Since MMjoy2 firmware support Shift Register CD4021 and 74HC165, after connect the five wires the only thing you need do is select the type used (CD or 74) in MMjoySetup and save. Very easy.

Last edited by Sokol1_br; 09-06-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #547
Fihnakis

I have been successful at getting my "button box" to work with MMJoy using a diode matrix but I am having a weird issue. MMJoy detects every switch / button press and encoder turn but I have a couple buttons that the main panel detects but anything outside of MMJoy software doesn't see it.

If you see in the screenshot hardware button 46 is pressed and MMJoy sees it but button tester does not, 41 should be lit up. And I'm not sure why 49 is green, it's been that way since the start but that button works fine.

EDIT: So I wiped everything and started over and now buttons that didn't work now work and ones that did now aren't showing up in button tester. Going to try earlier firmware release.

Last edited by Fihnakis; 09-07-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Fihnakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #548
Sokol1_br
Veteran

Try version v20160818upd, is considered "stable", the last 20161101 has some bug, not sure where.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #549
Fihnakis

Just finished trying 20160818 and same problem different buttons. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have used my multimeter and verified every button both normal polarity and reverse to verify all diodes are blocking. Voltages look good, resistance looks great. I'm officially lost now. I'll try 20151118 later and see if that does anything.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #550
Fihnakis

After many hours, it's something with MMJoy. Through trial and error I can confirm this problem I'm having only happens when I try to set up the encoders. Even just programming one encoder in makes 3 buttons not work when viewed through button tester. I've searched and I'm pretty sure I'm following the instructions correctly for setting them up so I really don't know what's going on. Any advice?