GPU Bust - Repair/Replace?

My EVGA 780 purchased back in the fall of 2013 has coughed hiccuped and apparently died :cry: the warranty only lasted three year's.

Now with all the news about the current cryptocurrency fad I was already aware that they were in short supply. Whilst I could take the hit and by a 1080TI at a ridiculous price I am unwilling to do so, which leaves me with two alternatives find a website that is selling a 1070TI or perhaps a 1080 at a fairly reasonable price and wait a few weeks for it to get back in stock or attempt a repair!

Is a repair even a viable option, I have no idea why it suddenly went. I noticed a couple of green lines flashing and original mistook them for a dodgy hdmi cable on my steam link however on Friday the dreaded artifacts appeared and on Sunday the GPU stopped appearing in my dxdiag :helpsmilie:

Just wanted thoughts from people with more experience.

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Keep a check on EVGA's website, they often get stock in around this time of the week. Have to be quick to snag it, but if you can it is at normal pricing. EVGA Jacob usually posts in their forums when they get stock in.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Okay, I thought that would be the case :(

I have found a MSI 1070 TI GAMING for a reasonable price, just need to decide on a that or a 1080.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Okay, I thought that would be the case :(

I have found a MSI 1070 TI GAMING for a reasonable price, just need to decide on a that or a 1080.

Looks like you are running in VR? ( by your sig).

If so, get the most card you can swing comfortably.

VR in flight sims is very demanding, and it will use whatever you throw at it GPU wise.

Heck I even upgraded from a 1080 to a 1080Ti a few months ago. Because of VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yep, whilst I would like and a 1080 Ti I am not willing to write off a £900 pound for one when they are really worth £680...

Especially when mining with GPU's already sounds like it is no longer worth it... the prices might drop off a cliff soon!

Edited by Krupi

Project IX Cockpit

Yep, whilst I would like and a 1080 Ti I am not willing to write off a £900 pound for one when they are really worth £680...

Especially when mining with GPU's already sounds like it is no longer worth it... the prices might drop off a cliff soon!

Well, BTC is back to 9.000€ as of today.

It wont stop. As long as you can make 50% Profit in 14 days, no one gonna stop it.

About 2 weeks ago it was down to 6k€....now 9k€.... this attracts a lot of money...and GPU's for crypto in general.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You can get one at regular price, but have to be very determined about keeping a check on stock and snatching one up right when it becomes available. Not the easiest thing to do, but some are able to get one this way.

Unfortunately this mining craze makes it hard for us gamers to get what we want when we want it GPU wise.

Don B

My EVGA 780 purchased back in the fall of 2013 has coughed hiccuped and apparently died :cry: the warranty only lasted three year's.

Just wanted thoughts from people with more experience.

Before blowing any bread, first thing to do is determine if it's a graphics card problem or a problem with your motherboard. Try another card if you have one kicking around, or try you 780 in another, working computer.

You'll be right bloody miffed if you buy an expensive card and your mobo is the culprit :) And yes, they want a lot of cash for new graphics cards, it's what the market will bear.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I would be surprised if it was the other components, they are relatively new June 2016 however I will look into testing the other components.

In dxdiag I get a GPU error message and it doesn't show a card attached.

Project IX Cockpit