Interested and confused about all the different versions of DCS

maverick90

I have been flight simming for awhile using FSX, P3D, and X-Plane, and just recently discovered DCS. I just started getting into it and it looks amazing. I'm happy to find out that it's 64-bit.

I downloaded the free version from Steam which is 1.2.x, and tried it out and loved it and wanted more. So I went to DCS's official website and saw that they also offer 2 other versions. 1.5 beta and 2.0 open alpha. That's 3 versions of the same simulator. So which one should I get? I'm assuming the newest one because that's the only one that works with NTTR?

Why so many different versions, that will confuse people. Just wanted to understand about DCS a little bit more.

Because they are transitioning to the new graphics engine - Edge, which has been in development for quite some time. You have happened upon it during this transition.

1.5 Open Beta, and 2.0 Alpha, are the stepping stones into getting DCS into the final Edge engine, with the new NTTR map. The alpha has the new map with the new engine, the 1.5 beta has the new engine with the old map. They will all be eventually merged into a stable release version.

The new graphics engine is beautiful, makes use of DX11 and 64 bit, but it is still in testing so if you want to try it just be aware there are some issues and more will be discovered during the alpha/beta phases.

Also be aware 1.2 and 1.5 OB comes with the free Georgian theatre map, whereas the new NTTR map that currently is available with the 2.0 Open Alpha, needs to be purchased.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have been flight simming for awhile using FSX, P3D, and X-Plane, and just recently discovered DCS. I just started getting into it and it looks amazing. I'm happy to find out that it's 64-bit.

I downloaded the free version from Steam which is 1.2.x, and tried it out and loved it and wanted more. So I went to DCS's official website and saw that they also offer 2 other versions. 1.5 beta and 2.0 open alpha. That's 3 versions of the same simulator. So which one should I get? I'm assuming the newest one because that's the only one that works with NTTR?

Why so many different versions, that will confuse people. Just wanted to understand about DCS a little bit more.

Hi, and welcome.

I'm coming also from the Civil side of the flight simulation World :-)

Well, to try to put it in a simple / concise way,

- 1.2 is the stable final version of the previous stage of DCS's evolution. It's already 64 bit, but still based on DX9.0.

- 2.0 / EDGE is the future, but it took longer than initially expected to reach the Alpha phase EDGE is now at, with the release of 2.0 Alpha and the NTTR Map, so, in between ED launched v1.5, now already in v1.5.1, still with an older Caucasus Map ( which will be converted into v2 standards in the near future ), to allow users to participate in a beta stage of the new graphics engine, already making use of DX11.

So... for instance I have justs 1.5.1 Open Beta and the default ( free ) Caucasus Map, and v2.0.0 Alpha with the NTTR Map, but as soon as EDGE ( v2.0 ) goes beta and the Caucasus Map get's converted and v1.5 merged with 2.0, I will keep only v2.0.

Finally, DCS is not a Civil sim, and that put me away from even trying it for quite a while, but once I did, starting with the P51d more than 2 years ago, it represented a 180º change of course, and nowadays it's very difficult for me to find any thrill / joy from FSX / P3D / X-Plane... their flight dynamics and overall physics modeling and performance feel so dumb, compared to what we have here ...

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

It has to do with the development of the game. 1.2.16 is the stable version. Dx9. 1.5 is the open beta with caucasus map. 2.0 is alpha version with nevada. Later on the caucasus comes to 2.0.dx11 look further on youtube you see the differences

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly: