How is Combined Arms in VR?

I've just bought the CA module in the Easter sale, mainly with a view to roaming around Normandy at some time in the future. I've searched the forum and read a few posts about the VR implementation and it seems a bit mixed, and a lot of the posts are quite old.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences of CA in VR. I asked a similar question over in the Normandy map thread, but I guess this is a better place to put it. I get the impression that actual combat in VR is problematic, but I'd be happy enough to drive around in a jeep, so if blowing stuff up is less of an option so be it.

I think that the Normandy map has great potential for CA, if it works the way it does in the blurb that is.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I haven't had a chance to try it out in VR - surprisingly. But I never played with CA too much. Just drove around looking for things too shoot :)

I'll give it a shot (hopefully this week sometime) and report back.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Nice one thanks, the learning curve just with CA alone in 2D will be steep enough for me, I'll also report back with my findings if I get up and running in VR

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

At the moment, at least for me, it's unusable in VR.

Upon entering a vehicle, turning your head provides the opposite direction it should (left and right), which is immediately nausea inducing. Entering and selecting JTAC mode makes it serviceable to drop your smoke or lase or whatever, but that's the max of it.

- Moody

The last time I tried it, a while ago, I set a a tank battle and hopped into the fray.

I decided to get out of my tank and climb on top for a better view of the battlefield.

I did this with the wife's help and a handy step stool.

As I was surveying the battlefield some lucky Bastard scored a direct hit upon my tank!

With me on top!

I nearly fell off the stool and would have if not for the wife's steadying hand.

I was quite dead! :D

Did the same sort of thing with B-29 bombers on a runway.

I die all the time this way!

Great fun! :megalol:

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

At the moment, at least for me, it's unusable in VR.

Upon entering a vehicle, turning your head provides the opposite direction it should (left and right), which is immediately nausea inducing. Entering and selecting JTAC mode makes it serviceable to drop your smoke or lase or whatever, but that's the max of it.

+1

I tried it once a few weeks ago and it was unplayable in VR because the head movement is inverted. I have had quite some time with intense VR titles and don´t easily feel nauseated anymore, but CA is either not finished yet or bugged...

Basically it should be a lot of fun to ride on top of your vehicle and fire guns at stuff...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

In desperate need of work, frustrating really as to use it with Track IR I would have to to got to settings, turn off VR and then relaunch the game with Track IR running.

It would be great if they could get this fixed before their WW2 Assets pack CA release.

• Windows 10 Home - 64 Bit
  • Intel Core i7-9770K
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
  • Oculus Rift S

Mmm, fascinating stuff guys, looks like CA+VR isn't quite there yet, so it's back to 2D for a while. I really hope that CA+VR+WWII assets in Normandy will come to pass one day.

The last time I tried it, a while ago, I set a a tank battle and hopped into the fray.

I decided to get out of my tank and climb on top for a better view of the battlefield.

I did this with the wife's help and a handy step stool.

As I was surveying the battlefield some lucky Bastard scored a direct hit upon my tank!

With me on top!

I nearly fell off the stool and would have if not for the wife's steadying hand.

I was quite dead! :D

Did the same sort of thing with B-29 bombers on a runway.

I die all the time this way!

Great fun! :megalol:

Just Excellent !!!! Haha, cudos to your better half :thumbup:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 months later...

VR boy here, just bought CA. Not usable without a barf bag.

Quick patch suggestion?

if (vr_enabled)
{
   vr_head_azimuth   *= -1;
   vr_head_elevation *= -1;
}

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

CA is unplayable in VR.

Its 2d only. Its a trackIR screen mounted on your eyes. No 3d cockpit, no 6DOF.

Aiming accurate is impossible, The turret and your head are in no sync. Example. The T-90 tank turret is aimed 0 degrees ahead, while u looking 45 degrees right and up, thats where the targeting stuff looks too :joystick:.

All-in-all. Combined Arms in VR is total bullshit.

Edited by pappavis
  • Like 2

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

• 8 months later...
VR boy here, just bought CA. Not usable without a barf bag.

Quick patch suggestion?

if (vr_enabled)
{
   vr_head_azimuth   *= -1;
   vr_head_elevation *= -1;
}

Just tested CA in VR. Still the same, though bizarrely, it's fine in the isometric view.

I can't help but think that this really should be a VERY easy fix to reverse the view direction in 1st person mode.

How about it ED? Would turn CA into something genuinely playable and fun.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 1 month later...

Can the stick and throttle be used in ca? Otherwise I’d say no for vr if you must use keyboard

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

This has been raised as a bug

I’m utterly amazed that it’s not been fixed, as it appears to be a VERY easy to resolve problem.

Every member of my current squadron is a Rift VR user, yet I can’t recommend CA to them at present.

Come on ED, please throw a man days time at this to resolve.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Just confirming. This issue is still in existence.

Can these please be added to the known bugs for 2.5.2.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Really ? That's sad :(

Agreed.

I only play DCS in Vr, meaning that most of the functionality of CA is useless to me.

The only real use I have is to be able to give simple ideas to some units.