Ability to set planes waypoints in game

sylkhan

In my opinion, ED should not waste time creating a INGAME mission planning tool. Neither do I think there is a need for a INGAME Data Cartridge Feature (announced like 1.5 years ago). I think an external tool would work a lot better. You can prep stuff without beeing in game. You might not even need a DCS Install (*cough* Computer at Work* ;)) to prep the mission.

Let the community create the tools. Enable them to actually use propper import/export API's and the tools will be created. Best ExampleIMHO would be CombatFlite ). Most functions are already present, but the development slowed down because of missing import functions.

All we really need is a way to import an aircraft specific text file (As the Viggen, while fairly limited, can already).

- Waypoints

- CMS Profiles

- Radio Channels

- LGB Laser Codes

- User Settings

- etc

This cofiguration should be loadable when on the ground (same state as the Rearm/Refuel) simulating the replacement of the DTC. Maybe via radio command, key binding or simply clicking the DTC Cartridge.

If the plane is already perfectly setup by the mission designer (SP/MP), just dont reload the Cartrdige).

If there needs to be changes made to an existing configuration, export, merge, change and reimport again.

Dont get me wrong. Additional ingame tools would be nice, but I think a faster community driven solution would be great stopgap. And when ED has spare time on their hands, they can finish the their ingame tools.:thumbup:

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Well based from the move of ED creating their own in-game voip system, they are going to make an in-game system. Creating api's for modders to hook into doesn't make their job any easier as they don't have control over the development of said tool.

In my opinion, ED should not waste time creating a INGAME mission planning tool. Neither do I think there is a need for a INGAME Data Cartridge Feature (announced like 1.5 years ago). I think an external tool would work a lot better. You can prep stuff without beeing in game. You might not even need a DCS Install (*cough* Computer at Work* ;)) to prep the mission.

8<

And just how would I do any of that in the middle of a 4+ hour MP mission?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

And just how would I do any of that in the middle of a 4+ hour MP mission?

Alt-Tab to the external Application, make your flight plan, export, Alt-Tab back into DCS, tell the chief to reload the DTC and you should be good to go.

Don't get me wrong. Waypoint assignment in the F10 Map would be great as well, but beeing able to plan before the 4+h Mission is a nice thing also. So an export function to save flight plans is IMHO an important system.

I think an import/export function/API will be used for the ED DataCartridge and Mission Planning tool as well, so the work to provide this features to external applications is not additional work.

Well, I really hope the DTC function and mission planner will be a more usable feature on release than DCS VOIP currently is.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

I could live with an external DTC app and being able to load during play.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

while the mission is running, possibility to add, edit, delete waypoints.

Thanks

I sort of disagree with this. While in game - Waypoints should only be added, removed or changed through the A/C interface - such as the UFC in a Hornet or Viper or A-10. Because that is how it is done IRL. There is no mission planning tool available to the pilot once you get airborne.

I do think the ME mission WP editor could be improved to make it less clunky and more user friendly for building the mission that will then get downloaded to the jet. But once you've left the Sq mission planning room and are strapped into your jet, then typing new points or changing existing ones into the UFC is your only realistic option.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

"while mission running" and "while airborne" are not interchangeable.

In reality the mission has been running for 14+ billion years and mission planning happens in a room and carried out the airplane before takeoff. All that's being asked is for a DCS equivalent to that process.