Nonlinear control for A/C that requires trimming

As the title suggests, I would like to propose the idea of a nonlinear option for all non fbw aircrafts, like the one now implemented on the F-5.

For some reason it just makes my life as a virtual pilot much easier.

Edited by Svend_Dellepude

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

• 2 years later...

What the nonlinear option does is that it scales the virtual axis when you trim so full deflection of the real joystick always corresponds to full deflection in game. Which means that you always have full authority no matter where the virtual stick is trimmed.

This is not the case now, where if you have any trim present you won't be able to reach the opposite extreme.

If you have the F-5 module you can try it out after selecting nonlinear trim under the special tab in options.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

That may be something particular to the F-5. All the other modules I have, the trim setting doesn’t affect the ability to deflect the controls or I’m sure they function realistically.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

That may be something particular to the F-5. All the other modules I have, the trim setting doesn’t affect the ability to deflect the controls or I’m sure they function realistically.

You can try to jump in the MiG-29 or SU-27, trim full forward, pull up control overlay and watch what happens to your input when you pull the stick back. It will never reach the bottom of the Y-axis.

As it is now trim offset your input

Which means that if you enter a dogfight with any forward trim you can do less AoA than if you reset trim to zero.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can try to jump in the MiG-29 or SU-27, trim full forward, pull up control overlay and watch what happens to your input when you pull the stick back. It will never reach the bottom of the Y-axis.

As it is now trim offset your input

Which means that if you enter a dogfight with any forward trim you can do less AoA than if you reset trim to zero.

But if that’s how the aircraft really functions then it’s correct. I’m sure ED gets these things right.

In this case it’s a trimmable stabilizer.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

But if that’s how the aircraft really functions then it’s correct. I’m sure ED gets these things right.

In this case it’s a trimmable stabilizer.

No it isn't..

IRL the stick moves when you trim. That doesn't happen unless you have a FFB stick as a sim pilot.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4452726&postcount=5

try it out for yourself.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No it isn't..

IRL the stick moves when you trim. That doesn't happen unless you have a FFB stick as a sim pilot.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4452726&postcount=5

try it out for yourself.

No but the flight control behavior I don’t doubt is correct. ED generally gets that right. Lots of these aircraft are FBW so the FCS is determining how much deflection you’ll get.

No but the flight control behavior I don’t doubt is correct. ED generally gets that right. Lots of these aircraft are FBW so the FCS is determining how much deflection you’ll get.

Sorry, but I don't get your point. This thread is about trimming in an A/C without FBW.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry, but I don't get your point. This thread is about trimming in an A/C without FBW.

I’m sure ED gets the basic control surface movements on the aircraft correct. If you’re seeing this behavior in the sim, that’s probably how it is IRL

I’m sure ED gets the basic control surface movements on the aircraft correct. If you’re seeing this behavior in the sim, that’s probably how it is IRL

Except IRL you always have full deflection available after trimming because trimming simply displaces the stick, Which is not what is happening in the sim unless you have an FFB stick.

Since this is a wishlist thread I don't understand why we have to argue about something when you don't seem to get the point in the first place.

It's an option for the F-5 that some clever dev decided could be a good idea, and I simply wish that it would be made an option for all A/C that requires manual trim.

If you have the F-5 and fly with an ordinary spring centered stick I encourage you to try it out, so that you know what this is about. Otherwise this conversation is kind of pointless, sorry to say.

And to repeat myself: You can try to jump in the MiG-29 or SU-27, trim full forward, pull up control overlay and watch what happens to your input when you pull the stick back. It will never reach the bottom of the Y-axis.

Here is a different thread in the F-14 section for the very same option. It's worth a read.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=258198

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]