Open Conflict - Server Information

Mirknir

I played on another server that had "minimum" labels on. They were only viewable from a certain distance and just shows a small colored line, not the designation of the unit. Flying my ka50 I found this to be extremely helpful in at least finding the ground targets. All of the tactics of keeping distance and trying to prioritize units from visual inspection with shkval still applied. It just gave me a direction to look in. Also, don't know how to describe it, but it just made the battlefield feel more alive and interesting because it was easier to pick up where the action was. Anyway, just some thoughts from another experience you may want to consider.

I started to play this game with labels and it quicly became the crutch I couldn't give up.

I think labels are in the way of properly learning the game and that's why, for my server, I preferred to add all kind of targets of different sizes to practice your target detection skills and avionics.

Playing without labels was very hard for me after so long playing with them but the game quickly became more interesting and exciting without.

Like someone also said, you can ask a friend to help you by making the targets fire at him so you can spot them easily.

I may be mistaken but I think it's called Wild Weasel in military term.

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

In Map: Open Conflict Tuapse - v3.5.0

Add Assault Fleet Objectives

• Fleets spawn far off the coast
  • Fleets move toward Tuapse Frontline
  • Fleets should respawn when destroyed
  • I am using Skynet vehicle convoy system for this so I hope it will still work for moving fleets

Updating DCS to last version first [Done]

This fleets are pretty powerful and a growing danger to everyone as they move closer from the coast.

If they are too disruptive or strong, post here and I will update the map.

Edited by Mirknir

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

There are two Vulcan self-propelled AA guns at the oil field south of Sochi. One of them always seems to hide in the trees, making ID very difficult. I spent 15 minutes last night trying to find that second one after toasting the first one. I finally resorted to a lower altitude pass to draw fire and pin point its source.

Risky, but I got him.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

Your ka50 will show you where it has detected units in your abris, some moving units like the convoy tho will be inaccurate as the convoy keeps moving and unless you update its position you won't find them too easily. But you can just use the F10 menu for that. If your flying on REDFOR some enemy units may be harder to find because the abris doesn't have a position due to the terrain masking of the FARP that you can spawn at and the general terrain on the southern side of conflict zone. So I would suggest staying bluefor and using your abris to guide you in to the general vacinity. You can even plot out that flight plan you want right there on your ABRIS and program it to your PVI and go get some food while your helo flys to the target...unless you take a spamram (aim120C) to the face lol

Also I have been cheating on my beloved Huey and binge flying the ka50 a lot recently. Great module. If you see me online I would be more than happy to have a few sorties with you and show you how to guide in to target areas a little easier I can even send you targets directly via datalink!

Thanks - so what do the icons look like on the ABRIS when it detects enemy units? Are they lines, a shaded area, etc?

PS yes I agree, I love the Ka50 and have played it more than any other, especially once I got used to the trimmer & autopilot functions

=============================

i7 5820k | 32GB RAM | Nvidia 2070RTX | 1TB SSD

Thanks - so what do the icons look like on the ABRIS when it detects enemy units? Are they lines, a shaded area, etc?

PS yes I agree, I love the Ka50 and have played it more than any other, especially once I got used to the trimmer & autopilot functions

Whatever coalition you are on, friendlies are shown as red, enemies as blue units.

Units will show as circles, shaded areas are marking rough engagement ranges at your height, so those are good for setting up an attack position. Again here, red shades are always friendly, blue shades always enemy.

I and a couple others were having some fun doing rescues this evening. I was about to log off when I thought I might check the scores to see how altruism faired against savagery when I noticed that points aren't awarded for rescues. Granted, this is a simulation wherein the rewards are intrinsic to the experience, however if the killers are ranking it would be nice if the saviors were too. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I and a couple others were having some fun doing rescues this evening. I was about to log off when I thought I might check the scores to see how altruism faired against savagery when I noticed that points aren't awarded for rescues. Granted, this is a simulation wherein the rewards are intrinsic to the experience, however if the killers are ranking it would be nice if the saviors were too. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is more than one score system on OC, you can see many more specific session stats including rescue and deliver with the -score command in chat.

Other interesting ones are -stats and -me, try it out and keep up the good work! :)

Just wanted to say oc is an amazing server. I play almost every day. Acutally the only server i play

Quite agree. Play on it most days and nearly the only server i play on. 104th probably once every 2 weeks for a little change, but otherwise, OC.

Power outage is my neighborhood ; server is down :(

Update: Server should be back up.

I used this forced down time to do some maintenance on the computer and change to new weather (dynamic this time).

Edited by Mirknir
  • Like 1

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I used this forced down time to do some maintenance on the computer and change to new weather (dynamic this time).

Came back 2 days ago after a hugely long break. Startup DCS and Open Conflict today and *wind*... I have never flown my Huey in any sort of wind before. Apparently, you have to do a lot of pilot s**t :joystick:. Took me 4 minutes just to land at the FOB. It was very..... OMG it was AMAZING :thumbup:! I LOVE IT. Thanks for developing and hosting this amazing server Mirknir.

[sIGPIC]Complimentary barf bags available on request.[/sIGPIC]

I'm going to try again. No time right now, but the Piotrs missiles are crazy. I've been whacked by them at crazy ranges. The last time I didn't get any warning even though my rwr(M2k) had worked earlier. Tacview showed me as 65nm away when I had to dodge 2 of them. Can't use my usual starting at 40k tactic anymore. :(

Hey Mirk, people were getting a bit upset yesterday after they got hit by the Velikiy's Mach3 telephone poles while refueling, maybe move the IL76 close to the protected zone? KC135 is fine, havent noticed any issues.

As always, keep up the good work! :)

Kinda following up from what bert said I think it would be better if the Velikiy was removed from the fleet and replaced with something less powerful. Another Moskva cruiser would work, it would still cover the ocean well without intruding over land and on the tankers so much. I think the Velikiy is just a 'bit' too powerful to be that close to the coast

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just wanted to say oc is an amazing server. I play almost every day. Acutally the only server i play

Quite agree. Play on it most days and nearly the only server i play on. 104th probably once every 2 weeks for a little change, but otherwise, OC.

Came back 2 days ago after a hugely long break. Startup DCS and Open Conflict today and *wind*... I have never flown my Huey in any sort of wind before. Apparently, you have to do a lot of pilot s**t :joystick:. Took me 4 minutes just to land at the FOB. It was very..... OMG it was AMAZING :thumbup:! I LOVE IT. Thanks for developing and hosting this amazing server Mirknir.

Thanks for the cool feedback and the encouragements guys, it means a lot especially in these trouble times.

I hope to have more time to put on Open Conflict soon :/

I'm going to try again. No time right now, but the Piotrs missiles are crazy. I've been whacked by them at crazy ranges. The last time I didn't get any warning even though my rwr(M2k) had worked earlier. Tacview showed me as 65nm away when I had to dodge 2 of them. Can't use my usual starting at 40k tactic anymore. :(

Hey Mirk, people were getting a bit upset yesterday after they got hit by the Velikiy's Mach3 telephone poles while refueling, maybe move the IL76 close to the protected zone? KC135 is fine, havent noticed any issues.

Kinda following up from what bert said I think it would be better if the Velikiy was removed from the fleet and replaced with something less powerful. Another Moskva cruiser would work, it would still cover the ocean well without intruding over land and on the tankers so much. I think the Velikiy is just a 'bit' too powerful to be that close to the coast

Yea it's ok ; the fleets were supposed to be really strong and disruptive for regular map operations ; more and more disruptive as they approach the shore.

I was expecting some whine and maybe one post by some veterans saying "We killed your crappy fleet with WWII planes and Hueys" :).

They are not meant to stay that strong and will decrease in power next update.

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

I was expecting some whine and maybe one post by some veterans saying "We killed your crappy fleet with WWII planes and Hueys" :).

Not for lack of trying! We have even attempted to take down the fleet properly using Combined Viggen/SU25T/KA50 strikes but the insane HP of the ships, crazy CIWS and having to fly a perfect NOE route in and out to avoid taking a mach 3 telephone pole to the face means we simply haven't been successful against the entire fleet :( we did manage to kill the velikiy on one occasion and the kutznesov on another, with the destroyers being regular kills, but theres simply not enough time in one reset to launch enough sorties to kill the entire fleet :(

On a positive note the dynamic weather has been awesome :) there have been times where the cloud base was below 4000ft in some areas of the map! certianly is a game changer for ground pounding now that bert can't climb to 20000ft and drop CBUs on everything :lol:

As always keep up the good work :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not for lack of trying! We have even attempted to take down the fleet properly using Combined Viggen/SU25T/KA50 strikes but ...

Like a friend of mine always said, trying is the first step toward failing :)

In the history, it will be known as the week Skynet couldn't be defeated by humans ; rest will be history if anyone is still there to write it :cry:

On a positive note the dynamic weather has been awesome :) there have been times where the cloud base was below 4000ft in some areas of the map! certianly is a game changer for ground pounding now that bert can't climb to 20000ft and drop CBUs on everything :lol:

Yea dynamic weather is nice but it's a bit like having a tiger pet.

Sometimes, it's cool but it's hard to control and at some point, people are complaining because their kids start disappearing :smilewink:

As always keep up the good work :thumbup:

Trying and I am right now in discussion with God to add 8 hours to my days :thumbup:

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

No kidding. I left Krymsk in an Su-25T with TV guided munitions the other day planning to splat some AA guns from on high. My plans went up in smoke as soon as I hit the low ceiling. "Guess I'll RTB and choose something else".

The wind makes landing on the carriers challenging too, you betcha.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

Can I ask how does dynamic weather work? Is it based on some real weather or dynamic only means that it will change as the mission time passes?

You set up a bunch a cyclone and anti cyclones with pressures and all and then, the system simulates the weather and it makes a weather that can be different in different part of the map.

I am not super knowledgeable in this system and I find it very hard to make something interesting that is not overly windy or cloudy so I just use it sporadically.

You can create weather patterns in mission editor and experiment if you want.

You can also save them and send them to me if you manage to do something cool in the Tuaspe region.

Will there ever be higher ceiling and calmer wind?

"Ever"?

This weather has been released like 1 or 2 weeks ago ; it's not like it has been on since forever. :)

I usually change weather when I release an update and it will most likely happening soon to nerf the fleets.

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

"Ever"?

This weather has been released like 1 or 2 weeks ago ; it's not like it has been on since forever. :)

I usually change weather when I release an update and it will most likely happening soon to nerf the fleets.

I've noticed the server has been a tad bit quieter in terms of numbers the last days, aswell as increased chat complaints about the weather in the last few days, so definitely not everybody seems to like the storm.

It gives the whole map such a different dynamic though, especially with the low cloud cover. Flying helos is great fun, even with the winds! I like the stormy weather from time to time, makes you develop skills you don't have to use on many other servers.

Never seen anyone on buddyspike complain that it's been 30°C no wind since ages. :pilotfly:

I've noticed the server has been a tad bit quieter in terms of numbers the last days, aswell as increased chat complaints about the weather in the last few days, so definitely not everybody seems to like the storm.

It gives the whole map such a different dynamic though, especially with the low cloud cover. Flying helos is great fun, even with the winds! I like the stormy weather from time to time, makes you develop skills you don't have to use on many other servers.

Never seen anyone on buddyspike complain that it's been 30°C no wind since ages. :pilotfly:

yea like i said, i am not totally happy about how the dynamic weather usually turns out even if I like the concept of dynamic weather.

I started to experiment a bit more with it to try to control it better.

My goal for next update is to localise a storm offshore and see how it goes.

Mirknir

My old server:

The Thread

My only complaint is low ceiling, it really hurts ground pounders. And yeah, wind seems to be a little extreme.

I might have just bad luck but i can't really remember "good" weather for past months on this server. It's either dark, windy as hell or low ceiling.

Edited by cicimicikiller

Smash 1-1 | Hawk