Spitfire Mk IX out climb the BF-109 K4??

Hello,

Reddit Link: Here

I just wanted some help in this discussion on Reddit I was in. Not being a technical expert on either air-frame, I wanted to see if u/Layin-Scunion was correct in stating that the DCS Spitfire Mk. IX LF could out climb the Kurfurst. If true, doesn't that mean that the BF-109 is at a disadvantage in the vertical?

I tried using the climb data from the Kurfurst website and data about the Spitfire but I'm not a technical expert in this field.

Thanks guys for your help and awesome knowledge.

-SLACK

My understanding is that the DCS Bf-109 K-4 does out climb the DCS Spitfire Mk. IX LF.

Especially at low altitudes (before the Spit 2nd stage supercharger kicks in) and at least as long as the K-4 has not used up the MW-50 it carries. The difference may be bigger or smaller also depending on fuel loading.

I did not read all the Reddit thread, but there was something about +25lbs boost on Spit in there. In DCS Spit you can not pull that much. Max climb is rated at 2850 rpm +9lbs boost. You can pull more, like 3000 rpm +12lbs, but definetely not +25lbs for extended periods.

Anyhow, the K-4 does not out climb the 20mm hispano shells the Spit can sent it's way ;-)

...and there is one more thing, that might lead to mis-understandings here;

When a on-line mission starts (i.e. Multiplayer server re-start with people on the server), the Spit is faster off the ground due to faster start-up procedure. No need to wait for the ground crew to crank up the starter. This gives the Spit a head start for the initial climb at the start of a mission. I have regularly out climbed the German team in my Spit at a start of the mission on the burning skies server simply by being fast at the start of the mission.

I do not have hard data available, but there is really only one way to find out.

If you are interested, I would be happy to jump in a multiplayer server together with you and give it a try.

I have both the Spit and the K-4 on DCS 1.5.6. I'm available prime time EU (19:00 - 24:00 CEST). If you are interested, drop me a pm or let me know which teamspeak I should join and when.

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

As someone who owns both the Spit IX and the 109K, the 109K outclimbs the Spit handily. The information on Redditt is completely false. It does so even without using the MW50. I haven't timed it or anything, but its just apparent how much more easily the K eats altitude compared to the Spit. Also the IX Spit that we have in the game can't achieve +25 lbs boost, not at sea level anyway. (Maybe at Supercharger altitudes, Im so rarely up there and running at full boost that Im not sure)

As Redshoes said it might be different at altitudes when the Spit's supercharger kicks in but I wouldn't bet on it. As I said, the 109K can fall back on it's MW50 when the S*** hits the fan. :)

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

As someone who owns both the Spit IX and the 109K, the 109K outclimbs the Spit handily. The information on Redditt is completely false. It does so even without using the MW50. I haven't timed it or anything, but its just apparent how much more easily the K eats altitude compared to the Spit. Also the IX Spit that we have in the game can't achieve +25 lbs boost, not at sea level anyway. (Maybe at Supercharger altitudes, Im so rarely up there and running at full boost that Im not sure)

As Redshoes said it might be different at altitudes when the Spit's supercharger kicks in but I wouldn't bet on it. As I said, the 109K can fall back on it's MW50 when the S*** hits the fan. :)

This has been my personal experience in game. I own both and routinely fly both and I've even foolishly followed a 109 or two into the vertical, only to end in defeat for me in my Spit.

So the chart I referenced showed the climb rate without MW50? That makes more sense now. I'd love a document that could show the climb rates with MW50 enabled.

-SLACK