Landing in the Bf 109K-4

fjacobsen

Ok, now after firmware flash I have my rudder axis cut on edges :D

I've assigned brake button, but as soon as I push it there is no additional axis it is like instant maximum brake...

Yes, that brake is a bit strange at start, what varies the brake pressure is the button, so dont press and hold, but "type" on them. The rudder only deviate the force for right or left wheel in a not proportional way, is 0 or 100.

But after some practice became natural. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

You know that "Challenge Campaign" for the 109? There is a mission in there called "Landing-Hard" where you have god-awful conditions, (some serious crosswind) to land in. I can't land without damaging the plane, have anyone been able to beat that mission without scraping their wingtips on the pavement?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After upgrading my VKB Mamba MkIII with a 20cm extension, handling the 109 (and landing her) has gotten a lot easier and more predictable; especially during final, the small corrections that an extended stick allows makes a huge difference. Landings became a lot easier for me now.

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 2 weeks later...

As long as one learns how to keep the ball centered, the 109 isn't much more difficult to takeoff and land compared to other DCS warbirds. Lockable tailwheel helps, and it helps A LOT...

... I'm curious how we're going to tame the Spitfire, which, If I'm not mistaken, doesn't have such a feature :D

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

As long as one learns how to keep the ball centered, the 109 isn't much more difficult to takeoff and land compared to other DCS warbirds. Lockable tailwheel helps, and it helps A LOT...

... I'm curious how we're going to tame the Spitfire, which, If I'm not mistaken, doesn't have such a feature :D

That was the big key for me to get the 109 to land was keep the bubble in the middle. When the bubble was centered it forgave a lot of wrongs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

I had my first experience flying in the 109 today, and my first experience in a prop aircraft in DCS. Here's how it felt:

Amazing sense of immersion, the vibration, the sound, the somewhat archaic and cluttered cockpit. I think the 109 captures the sense of power better than a lot of the jet modules. I was expecting it to be slow, but rolling in the throttles simply unleashes this incredible sense of force through the airframe. It's a late war variant, I know, but it just motors up into the sky, and is far more slippery than I had anticipated on decent. It feels totally different to the IL2 series, which was the last time I had flown a 109. I now feel like this is something to be feared both as its pilot, and as an opponent. It also feels full of potential, like the distance between ace and novice are oceans apart. In short, I'm totally surprised by this module, hugely impressive!

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just jumped back into the 109 as well and I have to say, this is probably the only 109 sim where I can actually see why many pilots disliked the aircraft and thought it was difficult or dangerous to fly. It's really the only one that makes you feel the consequences of all of that added weight and have it feel like a unique aircraft.

• 1 month later...

still loving that bird, and landings are always fun.

i thought i give it a try on markindles CV-6 Yorcktown mod, although it looks fine,

i broke a wing on landing and had to repair, ship speed 0 knots, wind ca. 15 knots from bow,

all evidence from unsuccessfull takeoff has been destroyed on purpose however :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=149904&stc=1&d=1476124896

attachment.php?attachmentid=149905&stc=1&d=1476124896

attachment.php?attachmentid=149906&stc=1&d=1476124896

have a nice 109 day,

RR

Screen_161010_203433.thumb.jpg.c6e3f39c86a6f62ed340bb31c5830aaa.jpg

Screen_161010_203607.thumb.jpg.7bec6e0be712e94e5e36e5cafc370652.jpg

Screen_161010_203515.thumb.jpg.e20701c2b72bc98636ac5b5cee3511da.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"There's nothing to be gained by second guessing yourself.

You can't remake the past, so look ahead... or risk being left behind."

Noli Timere Messorem

"No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always been there first, and is waiting for it."

Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

well ... it wasnt on purpose THAT IS FOR SURE ... but when the AAA hits you - something breaks... in my case the elevator broke ...completely!

I thought i give it a try and bring it down with trimwheel only .... worked better than I thought, BUT i would never do it just for fun ^^

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There are two types of fighter pilots - those who have, and those who will execute a magnificent break turn towards a bug on the canopy . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/schnarrsonvomdach

http://www.twitch.tv/schnarre

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Schnarre-Schnarrson/876084505743788?fref=ts

but the spit has better undercarriage spacing unlike the 109 where the gyroscopic precession dominates on a pencil tip. I think of it more like challenging. What I'm really itching for like a drug addict is the Shtooka.

You shtook my wife?

the-whole-ten-yards-year-2004-usa-amanda-peet-bruce-willis-director-C987EN.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

but the spit has better undercarriage spacing unlike the 109 where the gyroscopic precession dominates on a pencil tip. I think of it more like challenging. What I'm really itching for like a drug addict is the Shtooka.

You shtook my wife?

The spit's gear track is actually narrower than that of the 109! That said, the handling on the ground should be slightly better because the wheels aren't splayed out at an angle like the messerschmidt's wheels are. The Spit also has lower wing loading, a bigger airframe for it's amount of power and (hallelujah!) a rudder trimmer, so it should have more forgiving handling takeoff and landing.

Landing in the Bf 109K-4

The spit's gear track is actually narrower than that of the 109! That said, the handling on the ground should be slightly better because the wheels aren't splayed out at an angle like the messerschmidt's wheels are. The Spit also has lower wing loading, a bigger airframe for it's amount of power and (hallelujah!) a rudder trimmer, so it should have more forgiving handling takeoff and landing.

I stand corrected. I think I'll see how it goes. But thanks for the information.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

But Spitfire gear legs aren't so long as Bf109's are, hence CoG isn't in a so high above the ground position. Spit ground handling won't be easy for sure, but I doubt it will be so laterally unstable as 109 is.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 6 months later...

Maybe it's just me, but I find the 109 the easiest of all the warbirds to land. The Spit, for me, is the toughest. As with all taildraggers, my trick is to fly it in, flare, and try to hold the mains just off the runway as long as possible. "Try to not land it."

Now that the Spit is out, how have the opinions about the 109 changed?

Maybe it's just me, but I find the 109 the easiest of all the warbirds to land. The Spit, for me, is the toughest. As with all taildraggers, my trick is to fly it in, flare, and try to hold the mains just off the runway as long as possible. "Try to not land it."

Now that the Spit is out, how have the opinions about the 109 changed?

For me the easiest is, by far, the p51.... You can almost land it eyes shut....

Then the 109, then the 190 and finally the Spit

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

• 3 weeks later...

This is weird but I took off and landed the 109 first try. Assists off, even thought I had it in game mode, but no. No such luck with the Dora; take off there is fine, but landing is maybe one out of five. Maybe the constant 190 practice helps?

First post here btw, so hello to everyone. :)

Hello Red, and welcome!

Practice is indeed the trick :-)

The 190 is very heavy, compared to the 109... It must be brought down to the rw threshold at no less than 180 km/h, and then the throttle pulled back while you keep negating the ground and really trying to bring it to a 3-point attitude for touchdown.

Then, as soon as you're on ground, keep holding the stick back! Steer to stay in the center of the rw as long as possible, and use brakes ( differential ) to help - slight pushes if you're finding it difficult to keep aligned.

Brakes are indeed my major problem with the 190. I can get it down and lock the wheel, but need much more practice with my VKB rudder. It's a good rudder but has no toe brakes. There's a firmware workaround that works in combination with a joystick keypress but, as you say, practice, practice, and more practice.

As to the weight, yes. I'm by no means an experienced pilot but the Dora seems to have more inertia and consequently less immediate precision than the 109, and so requires more anticipation and planning.

Edit: my teenage kids mock my landings, but they play War Thunder with a mouse, and are curiously reluctant to try for themselves...

Edited by Red Hayek

Differential braking is a MUST HAVE to correctly replicate the operations on a taildragger, specially in the fw190, bf109 and Spitfire.

DCS does an AMAZING job at replicatingthe Physics of Taildraggers. It really pays to invest on a rudder set with toe brakes.