JDAM type bombs (GBU-38, GBU-32 and GBU-54)

_HUSKER_

• 1 month later...

Hopefully we will. Though there were a variety of shortcomings in terms of employing the JDAM's with the TPOD early on.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Initial USMC Harrier deployments to OEF didn't even carry JDAMs, only GBUs. Probably because of those shortcomings.

Well the issue was with the TPOD not being able to provide accurate enough coordinates outside of 6nm slant range or so. Or being able to drop the bombs in "relative" mode (which our hornet currently do can't either). So the "dynamic" targeting capability using them was not working "as advertised". If you had pre-plugged coordinates from a briefing or a JTAC, they could certainly drop the bombs without issue, it was generating the coordinates on the fly from the TPOD that was the issue.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I had just finished Michael Franzak's A Nightmare's Prayer where he specifies they didn't have the capability to drop through clouds in 2002/3 since they didn't carry JDAMs, clarifying that they have since equipped the ordnance. The reasons weren't identified, though, I had thought it was an integration of electronics issue but thought your post provided another relevant point.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

As I understand it, the electronics integration issue you mention prevented JDAMs being dropped in "relative" mode (not implemented anywhere in DCS at the moment). As late as 2006. My understanding is that they could be dropped in "absolute" mode (as modeled on the DCS hornet currently), IF you had accurate enough coordinates, which the TPOD couldn't provide outside of 6nm or so for various reasons.