Missile-Missile Proximity Kill

Ironhand

Was playing around with AIM-7Ms for a bit this afternoon. At one point launched two missiles about 20-25 seconds apart at a target. After a bit I saw an explosion in the distance but no kill. Watched the replay. Turns out that one missile made a proximity fuse kill of the other. Some guys have all the luck.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Yes! You need much luck to destroy a target with an AIM-7. For me, I often could watch my AIM-7 hitting a target, explode, but it did no damage to the enemy!

The AIM-7 is good against slowly moving big aircraft, but it´s nearly impossible to shoot down a MiG or even an SU-27!

It´s really time to get AMRAAMs for the Hornet!

Yes! You need much luck to destroy a target with an AIM-7. For me, I often could watch my AIM-7 hitting a target, explode, but it did no damage to the enemy!

The AIM-7 is good against slowly moving big aircraft, but it´s nearly impossible to shoot down a MiG or even an SU-27!

It´s really time to get AMRAAMs for the Hornet!

It sounds like you're firing from too far away. If you're firing at a target you expect to try and evade, you need to wait until you're within Rne (Range of No Escape) - wait until you see 'SHOOT' start to flash. You should then kill pretty much everything you shoot at (assuming the radar keeps it locked - which is not a guarantee in the Hornet).

When 'SHOOT' first lights up and isn't flashing, it's showing that you're within max range, but a missile fired at max range is easy to defeat.

missile missile kills will happen when the time between two launches is too short:

acceleration time is always the same. so when you fire a missile short after the other, at first all missiles will fly to the same point and therefore form a cluster that will get more tight with approximation to the target. when burn time of the first missile is finished it starts decelerating while the other ones behind it are still accelerating....and faster. and you can imagine what happens next

I always fire as soon as 'Shoot' is flashing. As I said, the AIM-7 works fine against big slowly flying targets, but you nearly don´t have any chance against enemy fighters with R-77 or R-73 missiles.

The Sparrow also is simply is too slow for chasing enemy fighters who fly away from you!

I always fire as soon as 'Shoot' is flashing. As I said, the AIM-7 works fine against big slowly flying targets, but you nearly don´t have any chance against enemy fighters with R-77 or R-73 missiles.

The Sparrow also is simply is too slow for chasing enemy fighters who fly away from you!

According to my experience against AI planes it's more about is your enemy using chaff and is he maneuvering to evade your AIM-7. You can one shot a Mig-29 with the Sparrow if your are close enough and i also wasted 3 AIM-7 against a big/slow Tu-142 because he was constantly dropping chaff, only the 4th AIM-7 finished him because he ran out of chaff.

Was playing around with AIM-7Ms for a bit this afternoon. At one point launched two missiles about 20-25 seconds apart at a target. After a bit I saw an explosion in the distance but no kill. Watched the replay. Turns out that one missile made a proximity fuse kill of the other. Some guys have all the luck.

I think that was not quite what you were expacting. :D I never had such a WTF moment for myself, do you have a track file, would love to see that. :thumbup:

Edited by unknown

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

...I never had such a WTF moment for myself, do you have a track file, would love to see that. :thumbup:

:) Of course, I have the TRK file. :) I normally save anything I find interesting out of habit. I had the AI set to fly straight and level which was a factor in why it occured. Definitely interesting to see it happen, though.

And, yes, the AIM-7, like several of the Russian missiles, find chaff more to their liking than the target aircraft.

FA-18 AIM-7M-WTF.trk

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

:) Of course, I have the TRK file. :) I normally save anything I find interesting out of habit. I had the AI set to fly straight and level which was a factor in why it occured. Definitely interesting to see it happen, though.

And, yes, the AIM-7, like several of the Russian missiles, find chaff more to their liking than the target aircraft.

:thumbup: Thank you very much Ironhand! :thumbup:

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

:thumbup: Thank you very much Ironhand! :thumbup:

Just slowed the interesting part down to snail speed. Turns out it was the first missile that made the proximity kill as the second started to move past it. :)

_____

That was very funny to watch! :megalol: