Rack Launcher vs Stores in Selective Jettison Swtich

GrEaSeLiTeNiN

Hi,

In selective jettison, what is the difference between choosing 'Rack Launcher' and 'Stores'. Do 'stores' mean anything selected in the selective jettison buttons while 'rack launcher' means only those stores on rack launchers?

Thanks

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

It's ok I found a clearer explanation here...

Basically, as I understand it...

1. The yellow Emergency Jettison button jettisons all stores (weapons, fuel tanks) except the wingtip and fuselage missiles.

2. The red Selective Jettison button allows you to jettison in the following ways:-

a. left/right fuselage missiles selected at the red button (rotary options) itself

b. those selected at the station select (square) buttons which are the center and left/right inner/outer board stores provided you switch to RACK/LCHR (store along with launcher rail are dropped) or STORES (only the store is dropped)

Cheers

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Hi,

In selective jettison, what is the difference between choosing 'Rack Launcher' and 'Stores'. Do 'stores' mean anything selected in the selective jettison buttons while 'rack launcher' means only those stores on rack launchers?

Thanks

Usualy Chuck does great guides, you shouyld grab it It's perfectly well explained there and most of the stuff we can get a « ? » over our heads, it'S a good reference when in question of basics stuff, very well done.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=212282

But to let people know on this threadinstead of clicking ona lit, to briefly point it out here;

« Stores » drops the store/weappons only (Launchers/Racks remains). (IE: MK-82 drops but not the LAU's)

« Rack/LHCR » Stores and their Launchers/Racks drops. (IE: MK-82 and LAU's drops)

I don't think it is working as intended right now. If you have 2x82 on left inboard and select stores only the bombs should drop. If you select rack/launcher then the Bru should drop with bombs attached. Aim7 can't be jettisoned when attached to a 115 launcher, you have to drop the 115 to get rid of the sparrow.

• 2 months later...

1. The yellow Emergency Jettison button jettisons all stores (weapons, fuel tanks) except the wingtip and fuselage missiles.

They call that the Admirals doorbell. You press that button, you will be paying a visit to the Admiral to explain yourself. :cry:

Why would you drop the launcher rail as opposed to only the ordnance?

It gives you redundancy. Sometimes the ordnance can get hung and won't drop no matter what you do. Then the only choice is to drop the launcher and the ordnance in one package. It's important feature since you can't land on the carrier with bombs still on board.

So in real life, planes jettison all ordnance when landing on carrier? Or only certain types like bombs, rockets. It would seem pretty wasteful to jettison AMRAAMs. Also, does DCS simulate bombs accidentally falling off of wings during a hard carrier landing?

It gives you redundancy. Sometimes the ordnance can get hung and won't drop no matter what you do. Then the only choice is to drop the launcher and the ordnance in one package. It's important feature since you can't land on the carrier with bombs still on board.

You can't land with any ordinance that has failed from ejection. It will fall off on impact of the landing.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

While not landing with bombs kinda makes sense to me, it also seems very wasteful. Even if we're only talking dumb bombs, I would imagine the costs would add up. Are there any numbers published about how many $ of ordinance is just jettisoned?

When a bomb is jettisoned, I assume its still dangerous. Does this mean there's hundreds (thousands?) of dangerous bombs just sitting on the ocean floor near conflict areas just waiting or an offshore oil exploration submarine to accidentally set it off?

Are there designated areas where pilots are supposed to jettison un-used bombs? or is it just wherever they decide is safe?

Not sure where this idea came from, but you can land with bombs or any other ordinance, so long as you're below the recovery weight, but you can't land with bombs that failed to jettison. For those, you'd need to drop the launcher.

OK... now THAT makes more sense to me. Thanks for clearing that up!

... also a quick google image search revealed a number of photos of carrier landings WITH bombs. :music_whistling:

I don't think it is working as intended right now. If you have 2x82 on left inboard and select stores only the bombs should drop. If you select rack/launcher then the Bru should drop with bombs attached. Aim7 can't be jettisoned when attached to a 115 launcher, you have to drop the 115 to get rid of the sparrow.

Why would you want to keep the launcher on? I mean if you need to drop something, why would you just drop the bombs?

• 10 months later...
Why would you want to keep the launcher on? I mean if you need to drop something, why would you just drop the bombs?
Because dropping the bombs alone is sufficient for your purpose, so why waste the rack as well?

Bombs are explosive ordnance, potentially dangerous for the plane or the carrier/airfield, under certain circumstances. The racks aren't and they don't weigh much. And smart racks, like the BRU-55A might be expensive. You drop the rack if the bomb is hung or if you have another reason to get rid of it.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

How about the simple answer...ballistics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

In DCS you definately don't want LAU-117s to stay on. Dropping them is like kicking in the afterburner...
True, but that's bad drag effect modeling. I thought we were talking about realistic procedures.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Well, it's always good to know how the real things are operated, but also when somethings botched in DCS that requires you to get off the procedures. I'm glad we can dump the racks on the Hornet while the Tomcat has a TER jettison switch in the back seat that doesn't even do what it's there for (not wired IRL because TERs were not used in service), resulting in an airframe with almost 60klb of thrust that has the speeds of an A-10 at MIL.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg