LAltEnter and stuttering

I am on low spec rig and with low settings I get usually 20-40fps. I just dealt with it and fly smooth without problems. But I read the LAltEnter fix and tried it on latest OpenBeta. It almost doubles my framerates but it stutters much and makes headtracking stutter even more and lag. So I go back of course.

What does it really do? Switches between "full screen" and "max windowed no frame"? OK, I cannot say which is which (because everything looks the same and I have "full screen" option ON since forever) but why headtracking is affected?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

headtracking issue appears to be a really common problem.

I strongly reccomend setting vsync on on nvcp (off in game) of viceversa , set cockpit resolution display to 512 everyframe or 1024 everyframe.

Also limit your max fps to 60 via ingame by editing graphichs.lua and search at line 302 for max_fps which by default is 180 or alternatively use msi riva turner and limit fps at 60.

I am investigating the headtrack ( trackir) stuttering issue from long time and so far have not find a solution other than limiting the fps at max 60 or 120 but the game is not stable at 120fps so it generates stutter.

Anyway follow my advise and tell me if you find any improvements:

1) vsync on in nvidia control panel and off in game , you can also put ON in game and "application controlled" in nvidia panel, personally I haven't noticed so much difference beetween the 2 options i mentioned herewith

2) limit the max fps and cap it at 60

3) set your monitor to maximum refresh rate

4) cockpit resolution to 512/104 evertframe seem to fix headtrack stutter issue to many players ( to me it doesnt change nothing)

Get back and report asap! :)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I am on low spec rig and with low settings I get usually 20-40fps. I just dealt with it and fly smooth without problems. But I read the LAltEnter fix and tried it on latest OpenBeta. It almost doubles my framerates but it stutters much and makes headtracking stutter even more and lag. So I go back of course.

What does it really do? Switches between "full screen" and "max windowed no frame"? OK, I cannot say which is which (because everything looks the same and I have "full screen" option ON since forever) but why headtracking is affected?

I have also noticed this behavior... and a significant increase in CPU primary core utilization when in Fullscreen mode vs full res Windowed mode... there is no difference in what is displayed on screen, but Fullscreen mode will beat the crap out of your primary core..

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

I had at one time found TrackIR to be quite lazy with too much smoothing applied, so I have that value set to 2, which is just enough to dial out unwanted jitter. This smoothing value/computation could be compounding things, also I too have found that too much tabbing in/out of DCS can also cause TrackIR to get very bogged down, but I found a reliable fix in switching profiles. These fixed it for me, but as with PCs; your mileage may vary.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

I had at one time found TrackIR to be quite lazy with too much smoothing applied, so I have that value set to 2, which is just enough to dial out unwanted jitter. This smoothing value/computation could be compounding things, also I too have found that too much tabbing in/out of DCS can also cause TrackIR to get very bogged down, but I found a reliable fix in switching profiles. These fixed it for me, but as with PCs; your mileage may vary.

HI, can you better go into details about trackir profiles?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

1) vsync on in nvidia control panel and off in game , you can also put ON in game and "application controlled" in nvidia panel, personally I haven't noticed so much difference beetween the 2 options i mentioned herewith

2) limit the max fps and cap it at 60

3) set your monitor to maximum refresh rate

4) cockpit resolution to 512/104 evertframe seem to fix headtrack stutter issue to many players ( to me it doesnt change nothing)

Get back and report asap! :)

I'm back after testing. None of these single changes made noticable improvements. Generally game starts in some mode where tracking is ok, but fps is lowered and vsynch doesn't really work. When I press LAlt+Enter tracking is less smooth, fps is ok and vsynch is working.

Just check the full screen box in system menu and let it start in full screen. dont press alt + enter again it will mess up the frame rate.

I already said I always start with full screen option ON but there's obviously another mode after pressing LAlt+Enter, which seems like proper full screen.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

HI, can you better go into details about trackir profiles?

When I found TrackIR bogging down like my head is immersed in tar, switching profiles in the menu you see below would fix it. Also smoothing too high can seem to cause problems, you can see my settings here;

UZWS14J.png

Also I'll attach the profile I use for DCS

DCS0.zip

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

I'm back after testing. None of these single changes made noticable improvements. Generally game starts in some mode where tracking is ok, but fps is lowered and vsynch doesn't really work. When I press LAlt+Enter tracking is less smooth, fps is ok and vsynch is working.

I already said I always start with full screen option ON but there's obviously another mode after pressing LAlt+Enter, which seems like proper full screen.

Yes, in-game "Full screen" option doesn't work, it only switches to borderless windowed mode. To get actual full screen (with all relevant advantages like functional V-Sync), one has to Alt-Enter.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

For some strange reason i get good consistent results with Full screen unchecked in game and Vsync checked in game. No alt enter, and pretty stable 55-60 fps in Nttr. I think something has changed, as before i had to alt enter to get vsync to kick in.

For some strange reason i get good consistent results with Full screen unchecked in game and Vsync checked in game. No alt enter, and pretty stable 55-60 fps in Nttr. I think something has changed, as before i had to alt enter to get vsync to kick in.

same as me... solid 60fps...

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

Well I'll give it a try as well :)

When I found TrackIR bogging down like my head is immersed in tar, switching profiles in the menu you see below would fix it. Also smoothing too high can seem to cause problems, you can see my settings here;

UZWS14J.png

Also I'll attach the profile I use for DCS

thanks man I'll try your profile, thanks for sharing :thumbup::thumbup:;)

yep, even with a high end machine nowadays with 2.5 is almost impossible to run with all maxed out at costant 60 fps.

Anyway alt+enter still make a huge difference for me in terms of trackir stuttering , so I still have to press alt+enter

Yes, in-game "Full screen" option doesn't work, it only switches to borderless windowed mode. To get actual full screen (with all relevant advantages like functional V-Sync), one has to Alt-Enter.

I use a 4K monitor (3840x2160) with my DCS screen size in the options set to 1920x1080, with full screen checked, to ALMOST double my FPS. Unfortunitly, DCS starts in a window about 1/4 full screen. If I use Alt+Enter, the window goes to full size, but I can't mouse-click on anything. When the startup window is at 1/4 size, if I mouse-click on the desktop outside the startup window then click within the window, the window changes to full size and I can click in the cockpit. Very strange. I figure I must be doing something wrong.

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm happy to inform that my OP problem with lagging headtracking in true Full Screen was resolved after setting the headtracking process' (FaceTrackNoIR in my case) priority to "above normal". On my rig it had 20% CPU load. No wonder it was neglected by the system while DCS was running full steam.

thats how how ive had it set up as well... In game Vsync ON... Fullscreen OFF.. zero issues... also, i'll say it again, Fullscreen ON seems to have a very strange increase in core utilization... looks as if it increases load 15-20% on each utilized core...with zero visual difference than Full Res Windowed... so.....no need to waste CPU... Fullscreen OFF.