Please help me Level out the hornet I can't get her to fly level.

I can not for the life of me get this bird to fly level, I'll have it all set up passing by the carrier at 375 at 800 feet, and i'll look away for a second and its 890 I'll fix it look back and its 720.

makes it so god damn hard to hit my numbers @ the 180 and the 90 let alone the frikken 45

what on earth am I doing wrong? I also can not get the trim on this thing to respond to anything. it literally does not work. I tried what other people said about clicking the trim once and then holding it the second time. It doesnt work man I swear.

i'm using a thurstmaster T16000M FCS is that helps troubleshoot my problem at all.

f18LevelFlight.trk

Edited by Growling Sidewinder

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

Add curve at pitch axis.

Keep VV at horizon.

It autotrims for 1g flight, do not trim it until you open configuration.

can you elaborate a bit on this i'm not really following

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

Mine has a hard right roll immediately after takeoff, have to add lots of left aileron trim once I get her cleaned up in the air. All controllers (full CH setup) are calibrated, no wind factor, not sure if it's something I'm doing incorrectly or if something else is causing this.

Mine has a hard right roll immediately after takeoff, have to add lots of left aileron trim once I get her cleaned up in the air. All controllers (full CH setup) are calibrated, no wind factor, not sure if it's something I'm doing incorrectly or if something else is causing this.

must be something you're doing I dont have a hard right roll.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have the CH set, too and have not experienced that hard right you're trimming out for, I once knocked the physical trim on the CH stick and hadn't noticed to the point where I was trimming it out in-sim, so could be worth checking that.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Before takeoff - press the reset trim button - left panel

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

Yes I can.

If you cannot fly leveled, you have problem with excessive pitch input.

The problem with home flight sticks is they have rather short lever compared to most real world aircraft. That means for the same angular displacement, longer flight stick lever give you more precise control.

To deal with that limitation, simulator offers you option to adjust how flight stick reacts to user input. If you set slight curve to input/output graph, you will get more precise control at and near flight stick center area, with compromise that area distant from center will be less precise.

I use T16000M FCS, and I set all axis to 20-25 curve. You can do that in flight controls options, where for every axis there is "axis tune" button.

All this will help you to hold velocity vector (symbol of "aircraft" at HUD) at horizon easier. Velocity vector shows where's your aircraft flying, so placing it at horizon line will make aircraft to fly at level.

3. This aircraft (normally) has 2 modes of operation. Normal flight and landing configuration. In normal flight, you do not need to trim, just set velocity vector where you want and leave it like that. Slight trim changes are possible, but I do not find it necessary at all.

In landing config. you trim it just like classic aircraft.

thank you for the explanation, I will try this out and report back. much appreciated

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

why dont you upload a replay track so we can actually diagnose it instead of guessing in the dark

else its like trying to ask a doctor why you feel bad through the phone

like if you were actually able to point out the issue to us then you wouldnt be wondering why you have the issues you do in the first place

Edited by probad

Yes I can.

If you cannot fly leveled, you have problem with excessive pitch input.

The problem with home flight sticks is they have rather short lever compared to most real world aircraft. That means for the same angular displacement, longer flight stick lever give you more precise control.

To deal with that limitation, simulator offers you option to adjust how flight stick reacts to user input. If you set slight curve to input/output graph, you will get more precise control at and near flight stick center area, with compromise that area distant from center will be less precise.

I use T16000M FCS, and I set all axis to 20-25 curve. You can do that in flight controls options, where for every axis there is "axis tune" button.

All this will help you to hold velocity vector (symbol of "aircraft" at HUD) at horizon easier. Velocity vector shows where's your aircraft flying, so placing it at horizon line will make aircraft to fly at level.

3. This aircraft (normally) has 2 modes of operation. Normal flight and landing configuration. In normal flight, you do not need to trim, just set velocity vector where you want and leave it like that. Slight trim changes are possible, but I do not find it necessary at all.

In landing config. you trim it just like classic aircraft.

thanks for the explanation, I did as you said, changed the pitch and roll curve values to 25. and it feels much different and MUCH more stable, thank you so much for that tip.

however I do still have a small problem, lets say I level her out at 4000 feet, speed constant, I let go of the stick and she starts to rise up....No idea why, if i had to guess id say is because when I let go of the stick it naturally falls back into this natural position which then pitches the aircraft back up

any tips for that issue ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

why dont you upload a replay track so we can actually diagnose it instead of guessing in the dark

else its like trying to ask a doctor why you feel bad through the phone

like if you were actually able to point out the issue to us then you wouldnt be wondering why you have the issues you do in the first place

Id love to do so, but i'm a little new here not exactly sure how to do it. if youd care to explain i'd be happy to upload a track

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just tested, if I keep speed constant, aircraft doesn't pitch up or down.

I experience very slight pitch up or down moment when I accelerate/decelerate, which can be trimmed out with pitch trim control. Keep in mind pitch trim in this configuration is very slow and allows you to trim it very precisely.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

first, save the track at the debrief screen after you end the mission

then you can find it at

[user folder]/saved games/dcs.openbeta/tracks

you can just upload it here as an attachment

thank you. I believe I did it as u said. its attached to the #1 post

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just tested, if I keep speed constant, aircraft doesn't pitch up or down.

I experience very slight pitch up or down moment when I accelerate/decelerate, which can be trimmed out with pitch trim control. Keep in mind pitch trim in this configuration is very slow and allows you to trim it very precisely.

see track file I attached, I got ATC on, at 275 constant. and she still pitches up and down without me touching the stick. then I touch to readjust and she does it again.

I also tried the trim controls and they deff are not responding BUT they respond if i'm on the ground and not moving.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

not sure why my clients not registering your track

try using ctrl+enter to check for extraneous inputs

ya I did the ctrl+enter, i'm right about what I thought was the problem. say I pitch down a bit to stop a climb and level her out. say 4000. I left go of the stick and it bounces back to neutral and pitches up. so she climbs so I can never actually get a steady flight. at least thats what I saw in the ctrl+enter screen.

should I maybe be setting some sort of deadzone for my joystick?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I did not see where this was said so keep in mind if you take off without takeoff trim set and flaps at half/full the plane will nose up relatively hard. So make sure your T/O trim and flaps are set before taking off.

If you happen to take off without those set, lower your flaps to half and then back to auto. This will reset the flight computer to trim for 1g flight.

If you did the take off correctly, then I don’t know what the issue could be.

Hope this helps.

Windows 10 64 bit, Intel i7 7700k @ 4.7ghz, 16 gb G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2800mhz ram, Asus Prime Z270-A mobo, EVGA RTX 2070, 240gb SSD,500gb Samsung 850 evo SSD,500gb HDD, Warthog stick, TWCS throttle,, Thrustmaster T-flight Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5

I too noticed when at startup at the ramp my trim adjustments as I move them are indicated on the DDI/FCS [FCS 12, 30, 30, 30, 12] but once airborne with flaps at auto I do not see the movements indicated on the DDI but do feel them flying.

How do you zero out the trim?

Is trim only for landing?

Edited by fitness88

I too noticed when at startup at the ramp my trim adjustments as I move them are indicated on the DDI/FCS [FCS 12, 30, 30, 30, 12] but once airborne with flaps at auto I do not see the movements indicated on the DDI but do feel them flying.

How do you zero out the trim?

Does pressing the T/O button middle of rudder trim set T/O configuration?

I do not know if you can reset to 0 trim with the button. One thing to maybe try is use the autopilot with barometric altitude hold. Let the autopilot trim the plane as needed then disengage it to see if that works. Don’t know if it would but maybe worth a try. I used do that in the Mirage as I could never trim it out properly. So I would let the A/P do it, then she would fly nice and straight/level.

Windows 10 64 bit, Intel i7 7700k @ 4.7ghz, 16 gb G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2800mhz ram, Asus Prime Z270-A mobo, EVGA RTX 2070, 240gb SSD,500gb Samsung 850 evo SSD,500gb HDD, Warthog stick, TWCS throttle,, Thrustmaster T-flight Rudder Pedals, Track IR 5

I do not know if you can reset to 0 trim with the button. One thing to maybe try is use the autopilot with barometric altitude hold. Let the autopilot trim the plane as needed then disengage it to see if that works. Don’t know if it would but maybe worth a try. I used do that in the Mirage as I could never trim it out properly. So I would let the A/P do it, then she would fly nice and straight/level.

Look at the DDI/FCS page.

Edited by fitness88

I can not for the life of me get this bird to fly level, I'll have it all set up passing by the carrier at 375 at 800 feet, and i'll look away for a second and its 890 I'll fix it look back and its 720.

makes it so god damn hard to hit my numbers @ the 180 and the 90 let alone the frikken 45

what on earth am I doing wrong? I also can not get the trim on this thing to respond to anything. it literally does not work. I tried what other people said about clicking the trim once and then holding it the second time. It doesnt work man I swear.

i'm using a thurstmaster T16000M FCS is that helps troubleshoot my problem at all.

if you use autostart "Left Win+ Home"

then dont touch trim or flaps after the auto start sequence has finished

take off, retract gear and set Flaps to Auto and the plane will be perfect trimmed

if you dont use autostart make sure you trim as follow:

-set FCS on DDI

-set Flaps to Auto

-press FCS Reset

-press T/O Trim Button

-set Flaps back to Half

take off, retract gear and set Flaps to Auto and the plane will be perfect trimmed

Edited by maquez

i9 11900K, ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming, ROG STRIX RTX 3060 TI, G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz, Thrustmaster T1600 Flight Pack, TrackIR 5

Hardware Benchmark

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F-86F, F/A-18C, FC3, JF-17, Ka-50, M-2000C, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, SA342, UH-1H, Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Combined Arms

Steam Profile, Twitch, Youtube

if you use autostart "Left Win+ Home"

then dont touch trim or flaps after the auto start sequence has finished

if you dont use autostart make sure you trim as follow:

-set FCS on DDI

-set Flaps to Auto

-press FCS Reset

-press T/O Trim Button

-set Flaps back to Half

Thanks for the info...what about on landing approach do you trim then?

depends on situation usual no, I do rarely touch trim after take off

you glide in perfect then there is no need for trim ... watch yellow ball and use pitch and thrust instead ! :pilotfly:

btw this guy does make very good guides for F/A-18C :

Edited by maquez

i9 11900K, ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming, ROG STRIX RTX 3060 TI, G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz, Thrustmaster T1600 Flight Pack, TrackIR 5

Hardware Benchmark

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F-86F, F/A-18C, FC3, JF-17, Ka-50, M-2000C, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, SA342, UH-1H, Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Combined Arms

Steam Profile, Twitch, Youtube