CombatFlite -- a flight planning tool - Page 69 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #681
Viper39

Arrow CombatFlite update 1.0.4.2

CombatFlite update 1.0.4.2 available via updater.

Changes:
- Added DDM / DMS / MGRS option in Kneeboard
- DCS Group Names (when imported) are now visible in Mission Panel treeview
- Added arrows for fast switching between flight members in Configuration window
- Added 'Copy to all flight members' button in Configuration window
- Added JPG option for 'Insert to .miz' Kneeboard generation
- Added Christen Eagle II
- Added AGM-88 HARM for F/A-18C Hornet, removed GBU centerline stores
- Added TPC and ONC maps for Normandy
- Fixed A-10C and other aircraft bug in Configuration window
- Fixed export of DCS Group Name and Unit Name
- Fixed units of measure in Kneeboard
- Fixed notes text bug in Kneeboard

How to update:
  • After app startup, via the updater message pop up window or updater status bar (upper right corner of the map),
  • or via a manual check for updates by clicking on the "Check for update" button in the Help tab,
  • or by running the wyUpdate.exe in the application folder.

Feel free to submit any issues/feedback to combatflite@combatflite.com.

Thanks!

CombatFlite.com |
Twitter @CombatFlite | YouTube Channel
Viper39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #682
H@mmerhead

Any news on DGC338's original post with proposal to allow for ramp and taxi times? I was searching the forums and I can't get my head around how to include time for a ramp start so that waypoint ETA's remain correct. I cannot figure this out in CombatFlite, neither in the DCS mission editor.

For example: mission start time 15:00, your airplane will spawn at this time, even though it's a cold and dark ramp start. But you are expected to be over waypoint 1 at 15:05. In other words, you can never get there in time to meet up with other flights because the mission starts at 15:00 where you should be airborne and you're in a cold and dark cockpit on the ramp.

PS: I can't say how much I admire people creating software such as CombatFlite or mods. What a great community this is! I wish I knew more about programming because then I would have created software and mods a long time ago just for fun. I can still remember the good old days of flight training when I used pencils on a laminated paper chart and a circular slide rule to calculate everything manually. A time when there was no smartphones or tablets but Nokia's with B&W screens with no internet. And Jeppesen software was (is) too expensive. With this kind of software even the general public can learn to navigate and follow their dreams/passions/hobbies. No need to think about loxodromic or orthodromic routes, scale distortions that come with different chart projections or air plots with wind triangle problems. Except when planning to become a real pilot of course or if you're really serious about your hobby.
PC Specs: Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz | GeForce GTX 970 | PHILIPS 272G G-sync 144Hz monitor |16 GB RAM | ASUS Z77 Sabertooth mobo | Win10x64 and DCS World on 250GB SSD
Saitek PRO Combat Rudder Pedals | TM HOTAS Cougar | TrackIR5

H@mmerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #683
Viper39

Quote:
Originally Posted by H@mmerhead View Post
Any news on DGC338's original post with proposal to allow for ramp and taxi times? I was searching the forums and I can't get my head around how to include time for a ramp start so that waypoint ETA's remain correct. I cannot figure this out in CombatFlite, neither in the DCS mission editor.

For example: mission start time 15:00, your airplane will spawn at this time, even though it's a cold and dark ramp start. But you are expected to be over waypoint 1 at 15:05. In other words, you can never get there in time to meet up with other flights because the mission starts at 15:00 where you should be airborne and you're in a cold and dark cockpit on the ramp.

PS: I can't say how much I admire people creating software such as CombatFlite or mods. What a great community this is! I wish I knew more about programming because then I would have created software and mods a long time ago just for fun. I can still remember the good old days of flight training when I used pencils on a laminated paper chart and a circular slide rule to calculate everything manually. A time when there was no smartphones or tablets but Nokia's with B&W screens with no internet. And Jeppesen software was (is) too expensive. With this kind of software even the general public can learn to navigate and follow their dreams/passions/hobbies. No need to think about loxodromic or orthodromic routes, scale distortions that come with different chart projections or air plots with wind triangle problems. Except when planning to become a real pilot of course or if you're really serious about your hobby.
Ramp and taxi times are already implemented. You can adjust the time between spawn and scheduled take-off by changing the time in the Activity property (see screenshots). The time-locked ETAs (in this case WP 3 in the screenshots) will remain fixed, while the spawn time will change to accommodate for the desired on-ground time plus time en route.

In the first screenshot you can see a Take-Off Ramp (cold start) with Activity set to 00:20:00 and time-locked ETA at WP3 at 12:10:00. The resulting spawn time (as you can see in the Rehearsal window) is 11:38:57, the scheduled take-off time 20 minutes later.

In the second screenshot, it's the same but the Activity is changed to 00:15:00. You can see how the spawn time adjusted, while the time-locked ETA at WP3 remained intact.

The default Activity values for Take-Off Ramp, Take-Off Parking Hot, and Take-Off Runway are 20, 15 and 2 minutes respectively (that's for planes, for helos the values are different if I remember correctly). These are defaults that can be changed by the user of course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	take_off_ramp20.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	952.0 KB
ID:	202711Click image for larger version

Name:	take_off_ramp15.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	951.7 KB
ID:	202712

CombatFlite.com |
Old 01-21-2019, 08:57 PM   #684
H@mmerhead

Thanks for the screenshots. I knew it had something to do with the activity property but there is always something that messes up the AI. Do ramp starts and activity timings work on AI as well? Sometimes, the AI plane doesn't takeoff and just sits there on the runway with engines running. Sometimes it does takeoff but then keeps orbiting and never rejoins at the RV waypoint.

And then after having exported the CF file to miz and inspecting the mission with the DCS mission editor, the times for the RV waypoint between flights do not match and the times are locked for takeoff but not for the RV waypoint.

And lastly in CF you have to be careful when getting pop-up messages when exporting to miz because the mission start time can be updated to match the earlier spawn time of an AI unit. This is fine to adjust mission start time to player spawn time so that you are able to get into the cockpit at mission start but what if AI spawn time is before mission start time? Example: spawn at 14:50 with mission start time 15:00 should mean that the AI is halfway the rampstart and taking off at 15:10 right? Well, it took off on time alright but it kept orbiting overhead the airport and never rejoined at my waypoint.

Something else to watch out for is when you want to adjust the mission start time in CF to match your new calculated spawn time, it will shift all your flightplan times unless you clicked no.

In other words, I have not yet managed to create a simple mission with 1 F-18 (player) and 1 AWACS taking off from 2 different airbases, both cold and dark rampstarts and then meet up with him at a certain waypoint at the exact same time. I get there on time easily and the navlog timings are correct, but I can't manage the AI.
PC Specs: Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz | GeForce GTX 970 | PHILIPS 272G G-sync 144Hz monitor |16 GB RAM | ASUS Z77 Sabertooth mobo | Win10x64 and DCS World on 250GB SSD
Saitek PRO Combat Rudder Pedals | TM HOTAS Cougar | TrackIR5

H@mmerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #685
Viper39

Yeah, the AI is a bit troublesome. It helps to add a Hold orbit with some time of holding activity to adjust for actual AI startup times and other details and AI oddities. The export to .miz tries to set the waypoints' properties and actions in a way to make the AI do what it's supposed to do, but it's not bulletproof

CombatFlite.com |