Is VR worth it in DCS?

SkipCarey

I'd say it's worth it if your PC can handle it. I used to have a rift, still do in the closet. I use the Samsung Odyssey now. Resolution is fine and clear for me mostly except for the harrier.

Can't wait to get better vr equipment later. One thing is I have everything on high with PD of 1.5 and it runs pretty smooth. Sure it could be better but it's much nicer compared to track IR.

ED just needs to optimize VR better. I have played other vr Sims and games and dcs optimization feels a bit lacking so I had to compromise with setting some things lower than others like shadows and msaa.

For those saying they cant see the mfd's, a PD of 1.5 with the right settings on high vs shadows low and civilian traffic off, less smoke density will make it better to use a higher PD.

But I also wonder if people flying in VR had their eye exams lately because when i first got the rift I didn't have my contacts in and I could not make out text easily at all. Always had to zoom. Wasn't happy and felt like I wasn't seeing it how it's suppose to be portrayed.

Since I wear my contacts now all the time everything is crystal clear at least in the Odyssey. I only have to use the zoom in the harrier and other cramped Jets like the mirage.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I also wonder if people flying in VR had their eye exams lately because when i first got the rift I didn't have my contacts in and I could not make out text easily at all. Always had to zoom. Wasn't happy and felt like I wasn't seeing it how it's suppose to be portrayed.

Since I wear my contacts now all the time everything is crystal clear at least in the Odyssey. I only have to use the zoom in the harrier and other cramped Jets like the mirage.

That's a great point. I had my glasses cut so that they can fit my headset. Get your eyes checked you ol buggers!

That's a great point. I had my glasses cut so that they can fit my headset. Get your eyes checked you ol buggers!
Check out VR lens lab if you want to have custom lenses created for your rift. This one here is for the Samsung Odyssey and I have not ordered any yet because next month I go in to renew my contacts so I'll ask for all the details regarding my glasses which I just wear when I'm home.

https://widmovr.com/product/odyssey-prescription-lens-adapters/

Your eye doc should be able to provide those numbers for you. Just posting it in case people didn't know about it. Sometimes I wanna do a late night flight but after having my contacts in all day it makes it tough. Having these lense adapter could make that possible.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Check out VR lens lab if you want to have custom lenses created for your rift. This one here is for the Samsung Odyssey and I have not ordered any yet because next month I go in to renew my contacts so I'll ask for all the details regarding my glasses which I just wear when I'm home.

https://widmovr.com/product/odyssey-prescription-lens-adapters/

Your eye doc should be able to provide those numbers for you. Just posting it in case people didn't know about it. Sometimes I wanna do a late night flight but after having my contacts in all day it makes it tough. Having these lense adapter could make that possible.

:thumbup:

Yep superb advice. I often wonder at these people complaining of blurry mfd's etc. Not so blurry for me. Yes not as crisp as 2d but far from the mish mash these folks are talking about.

Your point should be a sticky in the VR forums.

The demographic population who fly these games point to the older folk or at least on the lower end of the bell curve. So to speak.

VR is ok!!

The immersion is neat but the effect wears off (much like a 3D imax movie)

Other than immersion and spatial orientation, VR is grossly inferior to a good monitor.

If you’ve got the spare cash laying around, give it a try.

Edited by Deft

You don't play a lot of others sims in VR don't you ? DCS is by far the worst experience I have in VR compared to others titles where I can reach at least 60FPS in dense scenarios or sometimes even hit the 90FPS. I'm not saying DCS is unplayable in VR, I'm just stating a fact : DCS is currently the less optimized simulation for VR.

Please feel free to laugh at plain hard facts.

Don’t count frames is my advice. Too late, obviously, for you though.

VR is ok!!

The immersion is neat but the effect wears off (much like a 3D imax movie)

Other than immersion and spatial orientation, VR is grossly inferior to a good monitor.

If you’ve got the spare cash laying around, give it a try.

Wow. I am afraid as far as game goals and wishes are concerned, your post is quite topsy turvy.

So you dismiss immersion, which I would guess most people would rate as 70% of the goal of the game. Who would want to play a game with 10% immersion? That is printed newspaper standard and only if it is a good story. A good book would be higher, but only if you had a good imagination. DCS is a sim, so it imitates real life, you don't need or want a vivid imagination when flying a jet fighter.

For me, forget immersion, I experience presence a lot. That is I completely forget I am in a room in my house, I am in a jet, 40,000ft above Iran for quite long periods of time. Of course to achieve this, I have other things going on as well, not just a VR headset.

Spatial orientation.... In a flight Sim? I would rate that as pretty important. Don't forget the better fov in VR, plus 1 to 1 head tracking and the true to life scaling.

So by your own admission, tell me what a monitor can do better, other than pure resolution? Most peeps on DCS fire missiles BVR, based on instrumentation. Reading the instruments on newer modules in VR is a non problem.

If we were being honest and had all really given VR a real shot, rather than trying it once for 10minutes if at all, and taking off the headset because we were feeling nauseous and hated it ever since, it would be conceded that VR, despite its limitations wins on all accounts other than pure resolution. Oh and being able to tap on a keyboard, one of the greatest immersion breakers there is.

Please be objective in your replies because I would be looking to alter a vowel in your name if not.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Wow. I am afraid as far as game goals and wishes are concerned, your post is quite topsy turvy.

So you dismiss immersion, which I would guess most people would rate as 70% of the goal of the game. Who would want to play a game with 10% immersion? That is printed newspaper standard and only if it is a good story. A good book would be higher, but only if you had a good imagination. DCS is a sim, so it imitates real life, you don't need or want a vivid imagination when flying a jet fighter.

For me, forget immersion, I experience presence a lot. That is I completely forget I am in a room in my house, I am in a jet, 40,000ft above Iran for quite long periods of time. Of course to achieve this, I have other things going on as well, not just a VR headset

Spatial orientation.... In a flight Sim? I would rate that as pretty important. Don't forget the better fov in VR, plus 1 to 1 head tracking and the true to life scaling.

So by your own admission, tell me what a monitor can do better, other than pure resolution? Most peeps on DCS fire missiles BVR, based on instrumentation. Reading the instruments on newer modules in VR is a non problem.

If we were being honest and had all really given VR a real shot, rather than trying it once for 10minutes if at all, and taking off the headset because we were feeling nauseous and hated it ever since, it would be conceded that VR, despite its limitations wins on all accounts other than pure resolution. Oh and being able to tap on a keyboard, one of the greatest immersion breakers there is.

Please be objective in your replies because I would be looking to alter a vowel in your name if not.

Immersion: When you first plop on a VR headset and see the interior of a cockpit in glorious 3d it is super impressive. Blows you away. But the effect diminishes over time (much like the effect of a 3d IMAX movie as the movie goes on).

Spatial orientation: The benefit of VR in this regard is most pronounced during ground maneuvering or in close proximity to the ground (Helicopters!). The benefit significantly lessened at altitude unless you are in close proximity to another aircraft (formation/refueling).

Don't forget the better fov in VR, plus 1 to 1 head tracking and the true to life scaling.
FOV is inferior in VR. All headsets have distortion the further your eyes deviate from the center. 1 to 1 head tracking can be both superior and inferior to head tracking based on user created curves (trackir). Checking 6 is considerably easier with TiR vs VR.. In VR you must truly turn your head 1:1 because you have to center objects in your FOV. You can't really take advantage of being able to also move your eyes side to side.

That said, the trade offs to acquire the above benefits are pretty profound in overall comfort, control, framerate, fidelity of graphics, hardware requirements and most importantly, target spotting and identification. VR really comes up short when your looking at something > a few hundred yards away in DCS and that's a liability.

From a combat effectiveness/efficiency standpoint a monitor is significantly superior to a VR headset. In my case I have a 38" ultrawide with two Cougar MFD's with LCD's behind them and TrackIR. There are things I can do with the monitor setup that I just can't do as well in VR.

I see the " had all really given VR a real shot, rather than trying it once for 10minutes if at all" sentiment posted frequently when anyone dares say VR isn't the end all be all way to experience a flight sim.

I have an Odyssey+. I use it alot. If I am offline playing in DCS I use my Odyssey. If I am on a multiplayer server playing casually or a server running a mission I am super familiar with (through the inferno) I use Odyssey+. If I am playing competitively (any group session where I am playing cooperatively using vocal coms with other players) I am playing on my monitors.

One day VR headsets will very much be superior in every single way to playing on a monitor. That day has not arrived yet.

Edited by Deft

Deft has introduced yet another subset of DSC players, those that play competitively/seriously online. I’ve seen this mentioned by people before and seen their setups which look like drone operating stations, with post it notes and coke cans. Fine if that’s your bag but crushing dull if you seek that feeling of presence mentioned before.

I tried to join a ‘squadron’ but was blackballed because I player exclusively in VR. I wasn’t ‘serious’ enough for them apparently.

I think people forget that the brain is being presented with the same information but it’s just massively bigger in VR compared to the same pixels veiwed a couple of feet away on a monitor.

Deft has introduced yet another subset of DSC players, those that play competitively/seriously online. I’ve seen this mentioned by people before and seen their setups which look like drone operating stations, with post it notes and coke cans. Fine if that’s your bag but crushing dull if you seek that feeling of presence mentioned before.

I tried to join a ‘squadron’ but was blackballed because I player exclusively in VR. I wasn’t ‘serious’ enough for them apparently.

I think people forget that the brain is being presented with the same information but it’s just massively bigger in VR compared to the same pixels veiwed a couple of feet away on a monitor.

Correct. I have observed many threads such as this and there are two camps. Of course There are degrees in this, no one is the same, but to generalise... There are those that are looking for presence because they love the experience of flight itself. The combat is secondary as it is in my case. The flying always comes first.

Most of this group use SP.

Then there are those in it for the thrill of the kill or "being competitive". They do not like VR because they feel it's limitations far outweigh its advantages for getting the kill. Immersion and presence is secondary to everything else.

I have observed this on other sims too, where "stats" become all important and actually flying the aircraft is secondary, merely a means to get to the kill site. This group would be MP server types.

My home made missions would bore the latter group to death. Full cold start, 10 minute taxy out to the active with my flight. 200nm legs over water and land, randomly altered timings and light amounts of enemy aircraft, so you never know if you you will see an enemy radar return, or if they are sneaking up behind you or flying 200 miles away from you.

Often I fly a 2.5hr fighter sweep loaded down with full fuel, 3x external tanks and using fuel conservation measures, without even seeing a blip on the radar screen, just as happens more often than not in RL.

Often sat there bored as the distance to waypoint counter clicks down and I can then point the radar in another direction.

I happen to know an ex RAF and SOAF Jag pilot and a comment he often makes is that patrols were boring, boring, boring, right up to the point when they sometimes got a little too exciting.

The two groups are looking for entirely different things from DCS and of course that brings hardware preferences into the equation.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Correct. I have observed many threads such as this and there are two camps. Of course There are degrees in this, no one is the same, but to generalise... There are those that are looking for presence because they love the experience of flight itself. The combat is secondary as it is in my case. The flying always comes first.

Then there are those in it for the thrill of the kill or "being competitive". They do not like VR because they feel it's limitations far outweigh its advantages for getting the kill. Immersion and presence is secondary to everything else.

I have observed this on other sims too, where "stats" become all important and actually flying the aircraft is secondary, merely a means to get to the kill site. This group would be MP server types.

My home made missions would bore the latter group to death. Full cold start, 10 minute taxy out to the active with my flight. 200nm legs over water and land, randomly altered timings and light amounts of enemy aircraft, so you never know if you you will see an enemy radar return, or if they are sneaking up behind you or flying 200 miles away from you.

Often I fly a 2.5hr fighter sweep loaded down with full fuel, 3x external tanks and using fuel conservation measures, without even seeing a blip on the radar screen, just as happens more often than not in RL.

Often sat there bored as the distance to waypoint counter clicks down and I can then point the radar in another direction.

I happen to know an ex RAF and SOAF Jag pilot and a comment he often makes is that patrols were boring, boring, boring, right up to the point when they sometimes got a little too exciting.

The two groups are looking for entirely different things from DCS and of course that brings hardware preferences into the equation.

Great points. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I think the self styled 'serious' crowd do have a bit of an elitist attitude, flippantly dismissing VR as a 'novelty' they also seem to have a deep need to put others off VR, even though their lists of cons have been addressed years ago. It's like they've switched their minds off to solutions because deep down they know they've taken a wrong turn but just won't admit it to themselves.

Would you be kind enough to share one or two of these missions you describe?

Sounds like the type of stuff I am into.

Would you be kind enough to share one or two of these missions you describe?

Sounds like the type of stuff I am into.

Do you have Hornet, PG map (pretty much all my saved missions are on PG) and ww2 expansion pack? I ask this because for some reason the info window says you need it. I likely mistakenly placed a static object Willys Jeep somewhere on one of the populated airfields I have on the map and the basic map is copied across all missions.

I have looked for it previously, but I am damned if I can find the offending object. It does not appear in the listing.

I don't know if it will allow you play without having the expansion pack, even for just one erroneous vehicle or weapon.

If not, let me know and I will create a mission from scratch if you like. It's no problem, I quite enjoy making up missions.

Edited by Tinkickef

Do you have Hornet, PG map (pretty much all my saved missions are on PG) and ww2 expansion pack? I ask this because for some reason the info window says you need it. I likely mistakenly placed a Willys Jeep somewhere on one of the populated airfields I have on the map and the basic map is copied across all missions.

I have looked for it previously, but I am damned if I can find the offending object. It does not appear in the listing.

I don't know if it will allow you play without having the expansion pack, even for just one erroneous vehicle or weapon.

If not, let me know and I will create a mission from scratch if you like.

Please do share. I fly a similar style as well. :)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Do you have Hornet, PG map (pretty much all my saved missions are on PG) and ww2 expansion pack? I ask this because for some reason the info window says you need it. I likely mistakenly placed a static object Willys Jeep somewhere on one of the populated airfields I have on the map and the basic map is copied across all missions.

If not, let me know and I will create a mission from scratch if you like. It's no problem, I quite enjoy making up missions.

No PG map but all the rest. Please still share it as I am getting the map next week after I get paid.

If your willing to make long missions for other maps I would love to try them too.

Edited by Mule

Those are all good points. The competitive crowd is similar to those that play competitive fps games. They rather have the raw performance compared to immersion. Similar to for example playing battlefield V on a 144hz gsync monitor compared to 60hz because it offers better performance and smoothness if your rig can handle it.

I had a 27 inch 144hz panel and switched to a 34 inch 120hz gsync wide screen. For me that's more immersive when playing non VR games. I also find the widescreen more useful when I work from home. I can write my code, have outlook and several other tools open with no shortage of screen space on my monitor. But 90% of the time when I use my Odyssey I'm flying in DCS.

I don't see myself going back to monitor for DCS. When gen 2.0 headsets come out I'll be the first to get one because I enjoy DCS so much more with it. I'm still waiting to see when google and LG are suppose to release their headset. It's suppose to have really good resolution.

I kind of wish I had pre-order a pie max after watching Jabbers review of one. Now they are quite pricey. But for me, I would only use it for DCS.

I find that my rift is much more comfortable in terms of headset and controllers when it comes to not flying DCS.

Edit: Those missions sound interesting. I do have the PG map and the hornet. I'm nowhere proficient with the jet yet. My long time flight hours were mainly in the A10c before the hornet came out. I really hope they do update the cockpit textures in the A10. The hornet cockpit looks much nicer in VR.

Edited by sze5003

I think the self styled 'serious' crowd do have a bit of an elitist attitude, flippantly dismissing VR as a 'novelty' they also seem to have a deep need to put others off VR, even though their lists of cons have been addressed years ago. It's like they've switched their minds off to solutions because deep down they know they've taken a wrong turn but just won't admit it to themselves.

Conversely, there is a self styled VR 'evangelical' crowd where any other preference or style is dismissed out of hand for not prosthelytizing the virtues of VR. And are somewhat gobsmacked that anyone could possibly have a different preference than their own. No where have I "flippantly" dismissed VR considering I actively use it regularly.

The center word in DCS is combat. You don't have to be a stat whore to recognize that efficiency is diminished in spotting, identification and aircraft system control with VR. It's just the limitation of the current iteration of hardware available and quite possibly because games like DCS were designed around legacy hardware and VR support is an add on rather than what the game was built around (And DCS did a pretty admirable job adding VR support).

Is it just easier to dismiss someone elses play as being entirely different because of a hardware preference? You can't enjoy cold starts or realistic mission conditions without VR?

As I said previously, VR will no doubt become the defacto standard for playing DCS and be superior in all regards. Possibly in the next hardware iteration or two. It's just not quite there yet.

Yea I don't have any post it notes nor a drone station. I do have a couple cougar MFD's with LCD displays behind them. They were cheaper than most VR setups.

The original OP question "Is VR worth it in DCS?" simply doesn't have a definitive answer. There are sacrifices made in either direction.

If you have the money freely available to spend to try it out (both the cost of the headset and PC hardware to run it) it's certainly worth trying out. VR is certainly closer than it's ever been to being the perfect play experience for sims.

But if you are on a budget you might be better served waiting through a hardware iteration or two (and prices continue to fall on both VR and PC hardware) for the perfect VR experience that fits your budget. Back when I made the decision to get a big monitor or a headset first I chose the monitor and that really had nothing to do with VR or DCS but more to do with the fact that the majority of my time in front of the computer either gaming or doing other stuff would be using the monitor.

And don't get me wrong. I do enjoy my time in DCS when I'm using my Odyssey+ very very much.

Edited by Deft

So.... can we sum it all up as follows?

If you’re a simmer, go VR now!

If you’re a gamer, wait for the next gen.

If you have extra cash, go VR either way just to try it.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

So.... can we sum it all up as follows?

If you’re a simmer, go VR now!

If you’re a gamer, wait for the next gen.

If you have extra cash, go VR either way just to try it.

Never wait. The only problem current VR has is the high resolution entitled generation of spoiled gamers who have terminal buyer's remorse about their high end monitors.

I will say that before I got VR I had track IR. Before I had track IR I barely flew in DCS. It just was too difficult. Track IR was fine but jumpy because I could never find the right curves.

Also even with better VR hardware I hope ED will optimize DCS a little better. I feel like the Odyssey is pretty good in resolution and it can only get better from here.

Also with any computer hardware, there's always a new version coming so waiting isn't always the best option unless price is ridiculous. Example: 2080ti vs 1080ti only 20% better in traditional performance but 50% more expensive.

Edited by sze5003

Never wait. The only problem current VR has is the high resolution entitled generation of spoiled gamers who have terminal buyer's remorse about their high end monitors.

No remorse about the 38" ultrawide OR the Odyssey+ here.

I had a triple monitor (27") setup with Track IR. It was good, the curves were... ... good enough. I enjoyed it. With the exception of looking back, that never worked for me (overhead more than side to side).

Once I got the Rift, I was hooked. There are no issues about where you look, its just goes there. I did however find I needed to work on my neck a bet to get better lookability. lol, made me think about that whole exercise thing a person is supposed to do.

I've bought an Odyssey plus which I consider better than the rift and patiently await the Pimax. There's no going back to monitors and TIR for me.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

No PG map but all the rest. Please still share it as I am getting the map next week after I get paid.

If your willing to make long missions for other maps I would love to try them too.

Here you go. It still says WW2 asset pack required for the PG one.

Night mission over Iran. Full fuel. Trotted out a quick briefing and moved some stuff around. Not tested, so no idea if you will encounter the enemy or not.

Missus is insisting I go down for a beer so no time to test.. its a hard life. ;)

Fighter sweep from Al Dhafra:

Fighter Sweep AlDhafra.miz

And a Quick one for NTTR... CAP for a A10 Strike, nightime, AWACS controlled.

]

Hornet CAP Mission Indian Springs dark.miz

Edited by Tinkickef

I had a triple monitor (27") setup with Track IR. It was good, the curves were... ... good enough. I enjoyed it. With the exception of looking back, that never worked for me (overhead more than side to side).

Once I got the Rift, I was hooked. There are no issues about where you look, its just goes there. I did however find I needed to work on my neck a bet to get better lookability. lol, made me think about that whole exercise thing a person is supposed to do.

I've bought an Odyssey plus which I consider better than the rift and patiently await the Pimax. There's no going back to monitors and TIR for me.

I had one of the first TIRs in c.1998 and it was revolutionary but it was only ever a placeholder until VR came along. The problem VR has is it has to change people's ingrained habits and that's very hard for any consumer product. Not a problem for those of us that have been waiting but some people don't even understand what VR is. A few weeks back someone was claiming the only 'true VR experience' could be had by using things like Touch controllers and using HOTAS in VR wasn't 'proper VR gaming' but he'd completely missed the point.