Which version Steam or regular DCS?

SkipCarey

I quit Flight sims awhile back(long while) so Id like to hear from people about the steam experience and which version is best ,Im not wild about the steam version running in the background and Ive read some posts about bugs related to steam. I would love to hear from the community.:pilotfly:

Standalone OpenBeta version, always the latest.

| i9 9900K Octa Core 2TB SSD +32GB Spectrix DDR4 @3200MHz RGB | 2 x Radeon RX480 in Crossfire. | TrackIR5 HOTAS Warthog,MFG Crosswind Pedals | Cougar MFDs |

[OCG] Oceanic Combat Group

discord.gg/ZmXEBSU

"Through The Inferno"

by deadlyfishes

Official Australian Servers

SRS: All Servers have Auto-Connect Enabled

Server 1: TTI Caucasus

Server 2: TTI Persian Gulf

Server 3: OCG Training

Server 4: OCG NTTR & Multiplayer Missions

Australian Website

AU Discord Server

For the love of god, STANDALONE. Do not go Steam.

Why? Well, you don't get the beta option which leaves you without a number of updated functions specific to aircraft in early access, which is a lot of them. Along those lines, say you want to fly anything coming to early access, well, you can't with steam. So yeah, go Standalone and be happy.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Get the standalone version, fewer problems all around.

Stable or open beta, depends on the modules you want to fly and how impatient you are :)

I'd say use the open beta unless you can't stand minor bugs sometimes.

STEAM version is fine. I think a lot of the STEAM version hate is unwarranted. A lot of times no reasons are given for recommending the standalone version over the STEAM version. STEAM version gets open updates at the same time as standalone and new modules lately are mostly released concurrently with standalone.

I'm on STEAM version and no issues. Can install mods and missions with no issue too.

Rig: i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133 | 1070 8GB | 27" QHD GSYNC | 2x SSDs | W10

Setup: DCS 2.5 OB | M2000C | F/A-18C | F-86 | F-5E T.16000M HOTAS

Nothing wrong with the Steam version, but i prefer standalone for the following reasons:

• You can install both stable and open beta versions simultaneously. With Steam you have to choose one.
  • Many of the pre-order deals are specific to standalone.
  • ED sales happen more often than Steam sales.
  • ED/3rd party devs get 100% of the proceeds when purchased for standalone, whereas I believe Steam takes a 40% cut.

The big advantage of Steam is the auto-update in the background with higher bandwidth and not having to deal with torrents.

For the love of god, STANDALONE. Do not go Steam.

Why? Well, you don't get the beta option which leaves you without a number of updated functions specific to aircraft in early access, which is a lot of them. Along those lines, say you want to fly anything coming to early access, well, you can't with steam. So yeah, go Standalone and be happy.

This is just incorrect these days.

I quit Flight sims awhile back(long while) so Id like to hear from people about the steam experience and which version is best ,Im not wild about the steam version running in the background and Ive read some posts about bugs related to steam. I would love to hear from the community.:pilotfly:

Almost no difference in dcs itself between steam and standalone. If you dont want steam running in the background or need stable and beta installed at once then seems like standalone is your choice. I use steam because usage of steam wallet, quick and automatic updates, regional pricing, not to mention most of my games and other software are there.

Can i hear more about you not being wild about steam version running in the background or bugs related to steam?

In a similar thread I gave a slightly longer answer to this question: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3691162&postcount=10

In general both are very similar and if you don't need to have a very specific feature you could choose any of them. Ifd you already have games on Steam I suggest you go with it.

Note that this is a bit of a loaded question around here and difficult to get useful answers. Specifically, people who strongly like to push the standalone version tend to write false statements about Steam or come up with shaky arguments.

Nothing wrong with the Steam version, but i prefer standalone for the following reasons:

• You can install both stable and open beta versions simultaneously. With Steam you have to choose one.
  • Many of the pre-order deals are specific to standalone.
  • ED sales happen more often than Steam sales.
  • ED/3rd party devs get 100% of the proceeds when purchased for standalone, whereas I believe Steam takes a 40% cut.

Pretty much this.

If you're not a Steam fanatic to begin with and don't use its extended features, go standalone :thumbup:

Steam has 1 big advantage and that is payment methods. Any other point imho goes to StandAlone versions, OpenBeta is my personal choice, meanwhile solely.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I like the standalone version, because I can keep a backup copy on my external harddrive and reinstall almost immediately in case of a system failure. Maybe this is also possible with Steam, but I am not aware of that. This also solves the, unlikely, problem of no Internet connection.

On the other hand - Steam has a return policy which I like - If You play a mosule for less than 2 hours You can return it for a refund - I don't think ED has such a policy and You can get stuck with a module which You do not like.

Edited by Gloom Demon

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

There's built in option to create backups in Steam (right click on title in library and choose "backup game files..."), not to mention you can simply copy game files by hand and put them anywhere you want

And how are You going to install the Steam client to run DCSW if there is no Internet connection? Just being paranoid ;-)

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

Steam is great, because it is so comfortable and chic! And I doubt that ED has to pay 40% of their income to Steam. That would be way too much.

Steam normally takes 30%. They recently made some changes.

Game prices for EU are also including 20% VAT. So first the government take its share, then Steam takes its 30% share from what is left.

For instance, on Steam store, the F/A-18 Hornet full price (without sales discount) is 68.62 euro.

Price before 20% VAT (price without VAT) is 57.18 euro.

If Steam takes 30% from this, ED is left with 40 euro.

Edited by Seb71

And how are You going to install the Steam client to run DCSW if there is no Internet connection? Just being paranoid ;-)

I meant it more as an over all, info :P that its possible

But now that you mentioned it, im not sure if it would be possible to install the game from backup without connection, i think there's always something to download

Steam is fine, I see a lot of the complaints and most of them are more like "years ago steam didn't do what I wanted so I gave up, and still hold a grudge" variety.

About the 30%, STEAM also hosts the downloads and a forum and lots of other stuff for that cut, I've not had download speed issues in over 6 years from STEAM... ( not pointing any fingers but maybe someone should look in to their website download performance :P )

Wish all the people who hold such a big grudge actually bother updating their information and give at least valid reasons to not use steam instead of lies and outdated information. It would actually be helpful to someone wanting to make a choice instead of just muddying the waters with disinformation.

I´ve got to say that I´m quite impressed actually. I´ve checked the availability from known Modules and have to say, that each of them is available via steam store. That was different a while ago, when Modules became available in steam on final release...so my suggestion is...use either way what you want. You´re good to go with both...steam or Standalone. There´s no difference anymore and you can join any Server, no restrictions. Only restriction is on the technical aspect for Workarounds that handle the Standalone Updater, but thats the only "disadvantage" I know so far.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

I´ve got to say that I´m quite impressed actually. I´ve checked the availability from known Modules and have to say, that each of them is available via steam store. That was different a while ago, when Modules became available in steam on final release...so my suggestion is...use either way what you want. You´re good to go with both...steam or Standalone. There´s no difference anymore and you can join any Server, no restrictions. Only restriction is on the technical aspect for Workarounds that handle the Standalone Updater, but thats the only "disadvantage" I know so far.

C-101 is not available on Steam though.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle