Need help with Gunnery

irfanahmed1979

I usually practice Air-to-Air gunnery in a custom mission. Maybe I'm out of practice or maybe there have been a few changes due to the updates since 2.5. I used to have better luck in 1 vs 2. Sometimes even getting both Mig-15s. Now I just can't land the shots on the target.

1. The piper seems to be less accurate, at least to me. The slightest of movement and the shots deviate. I try to adjust my shots by looking at the tracers.

2. I tend to overshoot a lot and have no counter to the situation. Even brakes don't help. Must be a better way of maneuvering.

3. I can't seem to locate the switch which would set the gunsight to fast or slow rate of closure.

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

Don't forget to adjust our pipper range on the gun sight. I always do. Then map 2 keys to your stick for camera height. One to go up , one to go down. Go up a couple clicks so you can see over the nose a bit more. Also tune down your rudder and elevator axes. Add some dead zone.

Many Sabre pilots here have modded their weapons.lua file and F-86.lua file to give better performance to the M3 Browning and ammo. The ammo needs more muzzle velocity to be more realistic. 820 to 860 m/s is too low. 870 to 905 is much better.

With these adjustments and the 2.54 Beta world, I can get hits at greater distance and cut wings off of MiGs much more often now.

For AI, follow them up through loops if you have angle off to other bandits. Nail them at the top, use speed brakes and scissor when necessary. Go over and back down and just don't let go. If another bandit closes on you, break and scissor and get back on the throttle early to match them as best you can in climb. Shoot above them too since there has been an issue with the pipper being too low.

Edited by Squiffy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

Don't forget to adjust our pipper range on the gun sight. I always do. Then map 2 keys to your stick for camera height. One to go up , one to go down. Go up a couple clicks so you can see over the nose a bit more. Also tune down your rudder and elevator axes. Add some dead zone.

Many Sabre pilots here have modded their weapons.lua file and F-86.lua file to give better performance to the M3 Browning and ammo. The ammo needs more muzzle velocity to be more realistic. 820 to 860 m/s is too low. 870 to 905 is much better.

With these adjustments and the 2.54 Beta world, I can get hits at greater distance and cut wins off of MiGs much more often now.

For AI, follow them up through loops if you have angle off to other bandits. Nail them at the top, use speed brakes and scissor when necessary. Go over and back down and just don't let go. If another bandit closes on you, break and scissor and get back on the throttle early to match them as best you can in climb. Shoot above them too since there has been an issue with the pipper being too low.

Thanks! That's really helpful.

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

Don't forget to adjust our pipper range on the gun sight. I always do.

What do you mean by this exactly? The wingspan lever under the sight?

Then map 2 keys to your stick for camera height. One to go up , one to go down.

Does that really help someone using TIR? Couldn’t you just sit up in your chair a shade?

Sorry, it probably sounds like I am trolling but I’m not, just trying to make sure I am following you. I do agree that is wish ED would bump the MV a bit.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

Yeah the wingspan lever... then you also need to set the distance with the other one IN REAL TIME during the fight. Sort of...

Also... you need to tune yourself... I recommend you use a "tool" to help tune you... that tool is labels. They tell you the range to target.

So... set a hat switch to adjust wing span with right/left... then set up/down to be target distance. Set another button to cycle labels. Use labels to calibrate your eyes to the target range but ONLY until you can get pretty good at it yourself. Use up/down to adjust the sight range based on what the label is telling you. After a while you'll be able to get to the 6 of the enemy with wingspan already set and at your preferred firing distance which is already set and fire. If the target is larger... you'll know they are a little closer so put them towards to lead of the reticle, and if they're smaller they go towards the rear of the reticle...

But you gotta tune yourself too...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Yeah the wingspan lever... then you also need to set the distance with the other one IN REAL TIME during the fight. Sort of...

Also... you need to tune yourself... I recommend you use a "tool" to help tune you... that tool is labels. They tell you the range to target.

So... set a hat switch to adjust wing span with right/left... then set up/down to be target distance. Set another button to cycle labels. Use labels to calibrate your eyes to the target range but ONLY until you can get pretty good at it yourself. Use up/down to adjust the sight range based on what the label is telling you. After a while you'll be able to get to the 6 of the enemy with wingspan already set and at your preferred firing distance which is already set and fire. If the target is larger... you'll know they are a little closer so put them towards to lead of the reticle, and if they're smaller they go towards the rear of the reticle...

But you gotta tune yourself too...

Yeah I need practice.:)

I will admit that I am not that current in the F86 but why would you use manual ranging with the A4 if the radar is working?

EDIT: Also the procedure being described for manual ranging is backwards. The whole point behind manual ranging is giving the pilot a way to determine target range that doesn't rely on range estimation as you are describing. If the wingspan is set appropriately and the enemy is framed in the pipper correctly, the A4 knows the range and generates a proper solution. If you are going to use manual ranging in the way you describe, there is no reason to set the wingspan lever.

Edited by tom_19d
Edit Marked

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

I will admit that I am not that current in the F86 but why would you use manual ranging with the A4 if the radar is working?

EDIT: Also the procedure being described for manual ranging is backwards. The whole point behind manual ranging is giving the pilot a way to determine target range that doesn't rely on range estimation as you are describing. If the wingspan is set appropriately and the enemy is framed in the pipper correctly, the A4 knows the range and generates a proper solution. If you are going to use manual ranging in the way you describe, there is no reason to set the wingspan lever.

Exactly. It makes more sense to map the manual range than the wingspan. The only time that this is required is when the radar fails. The wingspan does not normally need to be adjusted dynamically during the fight, but should be fixed to the wingspan of the target, usually the MiG-15, or if there are other targets, the most dangerous. If the radar inverter light illuminates, use the button/axis (I use the lever on the Warthog throttle) to adjust the reticle to just encompass the wingspan of the target, assuming that you have set the wingspan for the correct type of aircraft you have now given the sight computer the range information required to compute the firing solution that the radar would have given automatically when it was working.

My bad... had been way too long since I played with the saber... I was confusing it with the P51. And yes... I was going for a rough lead. Once you're mostly setup then sure, adjust the range to properly set the sight over the target to be sure... but I think that having labels initially helps a person to calibrate their internal calculations about range and how to, ultimately, set a range you like for reference, then kentucky windage the shot.

Also... I wasn't advocating changing the wingspan in the fight.

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Latest patch has vastly improved the guns, watch:

What do you mean by this exactly? The wingspan lever under the sight?

Does that really help someone using TIR? Couldn’t you just sit up in your chair a shade?

Sorry, it probably sounds like I am trolling but I’m not, just trying to make sure I am following you. I do agree that is wish ED would bump the MV a bit.

Yes and yes. I Actually use padlock so adjusting the camera position with mapped buttons helps in that regard. I do use TrackIR too and just replaced my old one that died. But with my spikey stick and prefect AI pilots, I find padlock and labels to be a fairly good equalizer. Try flying prop fighters and watch how perfect the Doras fly around stall speed with "digital" flight control and and laser precision. But yeah, I need a new stick. The higher seat position allows you to see more of your bullet arc under higher g. 890 to 900 m/s muzzle velocity is near perfect. Beta 2.45 or whatever is still stupid low at 820 or some nonsense. Relative to canon Vm, it's just dumb.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Hehe, but I also noticed the guns jam a lot more on the Sabre. Not sure why yet and it may be a weather effect of high altitude and g force. I'll test some more.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes I tried it on and off and it didn't make much difference. Only coming down from altitude helped. I got a short burst off when jumping a mig and then sure enough jam, lose element of surprise. They do come back at low altitude. It may still be a data loading problem, like the sim is too busy to load your gunfire. Then after a minute or so it's fine. I think it's altitude/temp because I played regularly offline in my practice missions and never had this happen. Only after last update.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Humm... I've just learned to shoot above the MiG and let him fly through my tracers.. this works for me.

I don't know but the bug that gets me is when the sights disappear when u get close! needs to be fixed!

^Not a bug

When you are inside the min firing range, if the radar is working, the sight reticle disappears. If memory serves (I am away from my library) the min range is 1200'. This is a good safety feature, you are in danger of debris being sucked into the engine intake causing damage and flame out at close range and the target is too close for the radar to track effectively.

If the A-4 sight is in manual ranging mode, the min range is 600' and the reticle will cease to get bigger but should remain on the reflector glass. That being said, the A-4 sight does not quite work correctly in either manual or radar ranging mode at the moment.