New pc build - DCS VR only

sirrah

Hi there (future) fellow "pilots"!

After more than a year of intensive (at least for my standards) searching and reading on this forum and a local Dutch IT forum, I've now made up a list of components to build my first VR 'only' pc. In fact, it will be a 'DCS World VR only' pc to start with :thumbup:

I was able to get my hands on a fairly cheap Gigabyte gtx 1080ti (a one day sale for €649), on the same day that a leaked 3D mark benchmark showed that there will be only minor performance gain with the rtx2080. Of course I know nothing is certain yet, but I think I will be stunned enough with the 1080ti, as the last time I played DCS was about 7 years ago (A-10C stand alone :D). Price of the pc should be in the €2000/~$2400 range, including 2nd hand Oculus Rift cv1

Anyways, before really taking the plunge and start ordering everything, I thought it might be wise to first share my selected system with you experts:

Component list

Just in case if you can't open my link:

picture.php?albumid=1313&pictureid=10160

The idea of choosing a i5-8600K over the i7-8700K is based on a price/performance comparison. The i7-8700K is about €150 (~$175) more expensive and it looked to me like a good way to save some money without to much performance loss. ( I see most of you guys have the 8700 so I can imagine you'd disagree on this point).

Also, a few months back I was told on this forum that, simply looking at the amount of cores, the i5 would be just as good as the i7 (only Caucasus uses 2 cores, right?). Small sidenote, I'm not interested in streaming or things like that., but maybe, evetually, I might want to try DCS online.

You guy's maybe have any last advise for me before I start spending (to me it's quite a lot: of :P) money?

Letting me know that I made a correct choice is also very much appreciated, as to boost my self confidence :D

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

All looks fine to be honest - the only part you might want to consider spending a bit more on would be the SSD - possibly look into an NVMe M.2 drive instead of a SATA SSD M.2, the quicker you can get your SSD the better for DCS. That'd add another 50 EUR or so - https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-MZ-V7E500BW-970-Interne-500GB/dp/B07CGGP7SV

Really?

I actually had the Samsung 970 NVMe in my initial list, but several guys, on the Dutch forum I refered to, were convincing me that I will not be noticing any faster loading times with an NVMe as to SATA SSD (they told me it would mainly be noticable on RAR, PAR files and importing and exporting large files). I kinda blindly believed them as their knowledge exceeds mine, on this area.

Are you sure, for DCS I'd better install an NVMe?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I don't think it'll be "noticeably better" But some food for thought.

VR requires every bit of CPU/Memory speed. if you look at the video below, you'll see the 8700K gets much better performance in games. IN VR if you dip below 45FPS, it won't be a pleasant experience. So I'd think hard about not getting the 8700K.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I don't think it'll be "noticeably better" But some food for thought.

VR requires every bit of CPU/Memory speed. if you look at the video below, you'll see the 8700K gets much better performance in games. IN VR if you dip below 45FPS, it won't be a pleasant experience. So I'd think hard about not getting the 8700K.

Hmmm...

Well.. asuming I'll be able to find a decent 2nd hand Rift for about €350, switching over to the i7-8700k would still keep me under my €2000 maximum. (I got the 1080ti for €120 less then I listed)

My idea was to eventually switch over to the Pimax 8k (if it gives us what we hope it does), so with that in mind maybe I should indeed now invest a little more.

I'd better sleep on it ;)

System specs:

Just to be clear, the "I don't think it'll be "noticeably better" But some food for thought." comment was about NVMe vs SSD. Just in case.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Will the i5-8600k allow me to enable cockpit shadows, the canopy rain effect and trees whilst keeping decent fps in VR? Let's say ~45

(I really don't want to mis out on that)

System specs:

you better wait for 9th gen intel series coming in the next couple of weeks, along with a z390....as for the ssd, nvme2 is the best out there :)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Will the i5-8600k allow me to enable cockpit shadows, the canopy rain effect and trees whilst keeping decent fps in VR? Let's say ~45

(I really don't want to mis out on that)

Probably better to post under the VR subthread of INPUT/OUTPUT thread. Get some real world users to chime in.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

you better wait for 9th gen intel series coming in the next couple of weeks, along with a z390....as for the ssd, nvme2 is the best out there :)

Is there an official release date yet? Or any word on user benchmarks yet? (All I read about it is "somewhere in October")

System specs:

Exactly what I am waiting for.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|