S530 Range

Zeus67

There are different things which can limit the full use of kinetic performances.

For instance, on AIM-7F above, Vs 2m² RCS target, they can't lock the missile before 22Nm.

And we have to make the difference between firing range and interception range.

The Super 530D has a self destruction timer at 45s.

The best data I have is that:

https://www.3af.fr/sites/default/files/comaero_03.r.carpentier_missiles_tactiques.pdf

The Super 530 D is the version adapted to the Mirage 2000 equipped with an on-board pulse Doppler radar (called RDI, pulse Doppler radar). The main differences in characteristics compared to the F are as follows:

- semi-active Doppler EMD homing device (see Chapter 8, EMD), with 1980 digital technology (microprocessor for management); significantly increased range of the AD: 50 km; very high resistance to modern countermeasures ;

- partially digitalized computer driver;

- more powerful vehicle: increased mass and length (+ 30 kg and + 265 mm), 16 % higher total impulse thruster, with a SEP composite envelope ;

- performance: maximum speed of Mach 5; increased possible height difference, allowing the attack of targets at 24 000 m; minimum target altitude of 60 m; maximum firing distance of 50 km, with an interception distance of 35 km.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

In this case the maximum lock range of the target is 27Nm, but the target's RCS isn't specified.

The lanch parameters aren't specified either, but for sure this is high performance firing (high altitude & supersonic).

Obviously, this data point isn't enough to cover the whole firing envelope.

In my previous test at M1.6/ FL350, the missile reached 20.5Nm/ 38km. So we are pretty close...

Yes, I noticed that, very good research work here.

What they might need and might be missing are the maximum launched velocity probably still classified, Max Mach launch altitude, thrust in boost and sustained modes and so on.

The model exists, if it has been modeled accurately enough (possible) one could determine its Drag Coefficient with a fluid simulation package, that's the most important data.

It is the way the AIM-54 was simulated for DCS, if you haven't got those, it's a struggle to get them right.

http://media.heatblur.se/AIM-54.pdf

You've done a good job with your test firing too but I think they still need some more data to fine-tune the flight model, some players complained about its apparent lack of acceleration...

They might not have the data to do it, but once again, it is possible to be done if you have a watertight model put at Industrial standards, you can figure what thrust is needed for those performances from a simulated Cd.

I have still some contacts in the industry although my friend is ill, he is a programmer and has people on his side who can work with the packages needed to do that, I tried to get him interested in DCS.

Alternatively, they could work with the Heatblur Simulations, they have done the AIM-54, they explain clearly how and which package they worked to manage their flight envelops for it.

This Russian document gives a range of 56 km.

http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/MM/MM-216/0126-11-1-5.jpg

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic