Anyone running DCS with linux KVM \ QEMU and graphics passthrough?

So until I discovered DCS my gaming was strictly confined to XBOX and computers were for other things.

Im currently playing DCS ( and loving it ) on my work machine which is home with me due to covid 19.

I happen to have an unused Dell R720 with 128GB ram and dual Intel Xeon E5-2640 6 core 2.5GHZ processors.

Anyone have any experience running DCS in a Linux KVM \ QEMU virtual machine with graphics passthrough?

My understanding is that a lot of people get great throughput for 3D gaming in KVM, even enough to support running 2 Virtual machines on the same box with passthrough to 2 separate video cards, and Im curious to know if anyone is doing this and if the gameplay is acceptable.

Would be a lot better than having to spend $$ on a box just for DCS.

Thanks!

I've done it in the past with Assetto Corsa and a Hackintosh VM. The video card used was a NVIDIA GTX660 and AMD RX580 respectively.

It works, lots of fiddling. Windows performance increases; FPS performance is identical to Windows since it's the same thing (direct hardware connection into the VM).

The VM has the same or better performance as on bare metal. Depends a lot on how many cores and RAM you can commit to the VMs. Of course over-commitment is not advised with a gaming VM.

Honestly, I'd just build a machine to run DCS (less fiddly). If you get sucked into DCS (or other games) you'll appreciate having a stand alone machine. That old Dell is not going to be 'super fantastic' for running DCS - even on bare metal - IMO. Try it on bare metal first maybe to see if it's worth bothering with.

HTH

Imho it might be a great machine to host multiple DCS-servers, but for flying on it, I dunno, the 2.5GHz held me off as I had the option to get a T710 and T610 for free a year ago as my client upgraded the servers. I thought about it and decided against the servers, due to the low GHz and clumsy case in my room. They are also really loud, but you sure know that :)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X