New to VR - Can I use Oculus Rift on DCS using Windows 8.1?

Rudel_chw

I’m about to purchase a new Oculus Rift, but would like to avoid upgrading to Windows 10. I understand that Oculus desktop App needs Windows 10, but as I´m only interested on using the Oculus with DCS, was wondering if it would be possible to keep my current Windows 8.1 and still have DCS recognize and use the Rift.

Has anyone here be able to use the Oculus but avoid Windows 10?

Thanks

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I’m about to purchase a new Oculus Rift, but would like to avoid upgrading to Windows 10. I understand that Oculus desktop App needs Windows 10, but as I´m only interested on using the Oculus with DCS, was wondering if it would be possible to keep my current Windows 8.1 and still have DCS recognize and use the Rift.

Has anyone here be able to use the Oculus but avoid Windows 10?

Thanks

Go to the oculus home page here and run the tool to determin your system compatibility.

It also says Win 7sp1 64bit or newer so 8 should be good to go if it's 64bit,..

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Absolutely. I use Win 8.1 and haven't flown 2D since I got my OR ... which is coming up on a year now or so.

Oculus desktop App does not require Win10, but the new dashboard does. This does not affect the ability to launch and play the game.

i run DCS and rift with windows 7 x64 sp1 (asrock Z77E4 / i5 3570K @ 4.2/ 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz)

i have no problems, but oculus home keeps reminding me "oculus rift works best with windows 10. if you cannot upgrade to W10 run oculus home in classic mode in settings"

however there is no classic oculus home option in settings. so im not sure what that means. i have tried both beta and normal and they both work ok, and the dashboard of the beta works too btw.

only 2 things i have noticed. restarting oculus home via oculus settings doesnt restart the app, it hangs. same with changing to beta or back, it hangs, and never starts up again after updating. this might be a win 7 issue?

just a few heads up if you are going to buy the rift:

-make sure you have the nessesary cables to connect both the monitor and rift to your main gpu (not the motherboard gpu). the rift use HDMI

-Older motherboards like the Z77 dont have compatible usb 3.0 for the rift. u need PCI-E usb 3.0 card with the older motherboards. (i got mine working tough with 1 sensor connected to the case usb 3.0 and 1 sensor and the rift directly to motherboard, but i was a bit of a hassle with usb power settings)

-nvidia control panel dont have options for the rift and it's not visible in the multiple monitors section of the control panel. this is ok. rift uses the card directly without the controlpanel.

welcome to the vr pilots lounge! :smilewink:

Edited by voodooman

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you for your advice, I purchased an Oculus Rift kit while I was on a vacation trip in Europe. I’ve now returned home and the Oculus run on my Windows 8.1 PC ... at first I was getting no vr signal, until I learned that I had to activate "allow unknown sources" on the Oculus software.

just a few heads up if you are going to buy the rift:

-make sure you have the nessesary cables to connect both the monitor and rift to your main gpu (not the motherboard gpu). the rift use HDMI

Correct, my gtx970 only has a single HDMI, so I purchased a DVI-HDMI adapter and used that for my 27" monitor .. it works well.

-Older motherboards like the Z77 dont have compatible usb 3.0 for the rift. u need PCI-E usb 3.0 card with the older motherboards. (i got mine working tough with 1 sensor connected to the case usb 3.0 and 1 sensor and the rift directly to motherboard, but i was a bit of a hassle with usb power settings)

My motherboard isnt old, but even tough the helmet usb worked fine on my 3.0 ports, the sensors did not ... I had to connect the sensors on usb 2.0 ports in order for them to work, but I wonder if the tracking is affected by the lower speeds of these ports.

welcome to the vr pilots lounge! :smilewink:

Thanks a lot, the oculus is really amazing immersion-wise, but My gtx-970 is struggling with the fps, so I intend to change it for a gtx-1070 soon.

Best regards.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

yes you can, see my specs below in my sig....

flying VR just fine!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control