Wind direction reversed 180

Nealius

Mission file attached. Simple Su-25T mission created in 1.5.

Wind direction set in the ME is reversed in the 3D world, confirmed both by ATC and chimney smoke:

SET...................ACTUAL

225@4m/s..........045@5m/s

045@4m/s..........225@5m/s

120@4m/s..........300@5m/s

300@4m/s..........120@5m/s

Also investigated wind speed discrepancy. Speeds are consistently 1m/s faster than ME setting.

Yeah, this has been there for a while, I think, even before 1.5. The ME really needs to have the wind displayed as it is in real life.

The ATC reports are correct, in that the tell you the bearing that the wing is coming from. The mission editor needs to be changed to reflect this as well. So if you set the wind direction to 120, the wind will be blowing from 120, not towards 120.

"What's that goat doing up here in the clouds?"

Doesn't this depend on whether you pick Russian or NATO signage in the Options? NATO and Russian aeronautical wind direction are supposed to be 180° apart, to the best of my knowledge.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real men fly ground attack :pilotfly: where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you :D

Doesn't this depend on whether you pick Russian or NATO signage in the Options? NATO and Russian aeronautical wind direction are supposed to be 180° apart, to the best of my knowledge.

I've never known that to be the case.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 10 months later...

Wind direction is interpreted wrong

I think it is a big thing that a High quality sim like DCS is spoiled by wrong wind implementation.

AI is taxing to the wrong runway end to go in Take Off with a tail wind :cry:

ATC is giving wrong direction for take off, but for landing the opposite on the same runway :pilotfly:

Direction in mission editor is not " coming from" like it should but " going to" which is wrong :cry:

Is it that hard to fix ?? it is a real BUG...!!

ED ... Please fix this !!

• Like 1

This (mis)behaviour is as old as DCS World.

It's as old as Lock-on. I first saw this question asked in LOF 10 years ago and has occured regularly ever since.

Way back in the 17th century there were 2 wind directions used by shipping, to or from, so to eliminate confusion, the major nations got together to decide on one direction throughout the world. The direction in which the weather cock is pointing, was decided would prevail throughout the world.

At about the same time there were dozens of different buoyage systems, so the nations got together again to sort it out. It didn't go quite as well this time, as it came down to 2 completely opposed systems, which is still in use today. Red, can mean port or starboard depending on which part of the world you are in.

Even to this day there are 2 different wind directions, DCS wind and the rest of the world.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Very old one, but if they fix this, a ton of missions that have been designed with a workaround for said bug would have to be revisited and fixed, even narrated tutorials. Maybe this is why there is silence around it?

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Mountain out of a mole hill. Or can't you add and subtract in units of 180? There is clearly a reason why this isn't a priority - possibly because of all the housekeeping that will be required to correct it - every campaign, mission, ATC voice and mission briefing card will need updating.

There is also the small matter of every other bug needing fixing too plus 2.5 and F/A-18C launches on the horizon.

Do you really suggest you can't work around it?

Way back in the 17th century there were 2 wind directions used by shipping, to or from, so to eliminate confusion, the major nations got together to decide on one direction throughout the world. The direction in which the weather cock is pointing, was decided would prevail throughout the world.

As the sailors say: "the WIND comes FROM, the CURRENT goes TO". I know in Italian, but ...

:D

rob

Very old one, but if they fix this, a ton of missions that have been designed with a workaround for said bug would have to be revisited and fixed, even narrated tutorials. Maybe this is why there is silence around it?

That wouldn't require any modification in the existing missions, what is wrong is just what is displayed, in the mission editor and perhaps in the mission briefing - I don't know anymore because of this confusion.

It was funny to see the other day that IL-2 has the same bug in its mission editor. Still, quite annoying because one never knows whether the wind displayed is correct or reversed.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

... It's the standard way of reading wind. North-East (Arrow to 045) wind means the wind is COMING from the North-West.

:D

Well, my friend, maybe some people here are already confused ... If we add more and more confusion we won't be helpful. It's probably a typo, but you mean "the wind going TO North-East (arrow pointing to 045°) is COMING from South-West". With North-West you added an other -90° variable. And this is of course wrong more than the other ones.

Cheers,

rob

Edited by rangerobert

to alleviate this problem I learned to see the To and extrapolate the From in every mission. Also, when speaking magnetic versus true course, are those winds true or magnetic? Do I need to subtract or add 6?

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Yes it's something you adjust to after setting up 100Kph wind and launching the gazelle a-backwards. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

to alleviate this problem I learned to see the To and extrapolate the From in every mission. Also, when speaking magnetic versus true course, are those winds true or magnetic? Do I need to subtract or add 6?

I highly suspect it is true heading, because most if not all of the editor is in true (airspeed, altitude, headings) ; I don't know this for a fact, though.