Multi-monitor set-up guide & help (unofficial)

MadTommy

Partial display occupation on a multiscreen

General question. In a 3-monitor setup (classical layout, 1, 2 and 3 from left to right) would it be possible to span DCS from the central monitor to the other ones by leaving FREE two vertical strips on the outside edges, in order to view and manage there other applications? Let me better clarify. Let's say, for sake of simplicity, that width of side monitors (1 and 3) is 1000 and the central (2) is 2000. Total width of the multiscreen will become 4000. If (0;0) (NOT in DCS .LUA, but just to explain here the problem) is the upper left corner of monitor 1, can I set DCS spanning from (500;0) to (3500;0)? Or, in other words, from midpoint of the left monitor to the midpoint of the right monitor? I'm asking that as I've been unable to move the origin (0;0) (this time in DCS .LUA) from the upper left corner of the LEFT monitor (as per nVidia Control Panel).

Thx a lot

rob

If you run it as a windowed mode, you can do it. But there may be a performance impact. I use a smaller resolution when I want to reference other files while building out my control mappings for example.

In the image below, I purposely made the GUI smaller, but as you can see, I'm running it inside the full resolution of the monitor. hence the unusable black spaces. But I don't see why you couldn't a smaller (than monitor) resolution in DCS and do what you want.

3x0feHE.jpg

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

If you run it as a windowed mode, you can do it. But there may be a performance impact. I use a smaller resolution when I want to reference other files while building out my control mappings for example.

In the image below, I purposely made the GUI smaller, but as you can see, I'm running it inside the full resolution of the monitor. hence the unusable black spaces. But I don't see why you couldn't a smaller (than monitor) resolution in DCS and do what you want.

Sry, but it looks like I haven't been clear enough. I'm talking about a MULTI-SCREENs layout. That is the central fully dedicated to DCS, but the other two only partially. And while I can do that for the right one, I can't for the left one, if this is Number 1. Furthermore, if we deal with a multiscreen situation, the windowed mode (even if without borders) is the base-case, as fullscreen option in the GUI will crash the simulator. Re the last question on the reason why, etc, it's just because I need to run other applications like TeamSpeak and/or Skype in background and I would like to watch them while in DCS. Hope this better clarifies my request. Thx for your reply, btw

:)

No, I was in a car, and I cut the wrong part of my post. You were perfectly clear.

I had a three monitor setup before I got the Rift. And IIRC, you have to start with a X offset. To keep the left side open. However, I believe I had to run it in a windowed mode. So there was some performance hit - I don't recall it being terrible though. I'll try a test this afternoon. I only have one monitor now, but the lua syntax is the same.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again,

I've had this persistent issue with my center main display being repeated in my MFCDs in the A-10C and I get no black background in the AV-8, MK2 and F-15s dispalys. I've dealt with it for this long but not I can't see the gunner status when I fly the Huey, my kneeboard is cutoff and now in 2.5 my NVGs are totally useless. In other words I need to figure out what is the problem and resolve it. I've leaned on what resources that I have and can't figure it out. Maybe someone smarter than I can see something wrong.

Here are screen shots of the issue:

D8oDsoy.jpg

bBdnEsr.jpg

almKicC.jpg

Here is my windows display settings:

k3zLMvu.jpg

And my DCS settings:

zNpZtis.png

My LUA:

_ = function(p) return p; end;

name = _('3ScreenMFCDS1');

Description = 'Configuration with 3 identical monitors each with its own camera and MFDs'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = -1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.77;

},

Center =

{

x = 1920;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.77;

},

Right =

{

x = 3840;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 1;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.77;

},

LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 52;

y = 1081;

width = 565;

height = 565;

},

RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 1150;

y = 1081;

width = 565;

height = 565;

},

}

UIMainView = Viewports.Center

LEFT_MFCD = Viewports.LEFT_MFCD

RIGHT_MFCD = Viewports.RIGHT_MFCD

Go Ugly Early!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

New Multi Screen Options

Howdy all, its been a few years now since ive played DCS consistently and I would like to know if there is any new innovative ways for setting up 3-4 screens. Can this now be done for a 3 screen setup just by using the GUI in Open Beta 2.5 or are we still having to write lua. files and tweak this and tweak that?

As I cannot remember how this is done can anyone point me to a well presented tutorial for 3 screen setup.:helpsmilie:

Thanks and happy landings:joystick:

@Doughboy

had this worked in former versions?

My Rig: Windows 11 Pro, Intel i7-13700k@5.4GHz, 64GB DDR5 5200 RAM, Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX, 1TB Samsung EVO 970, RTX4080, Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG + Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, LG 32" 4K 60FPS, ACER 30" 4K 60FPS GSync Display, HP Reverb G2 V2

Howdy all, its been a few years now since ive played DCS consistently and I would like to know if there is any new innovative ways for setting up 3-4 screens. Can this now be done for a 3 screen setup just by using the GUI in Open Beta 2.5 or are we still having to write lua. files and tweak this and tweak that?

As I cannot remember how this is done can anyone point me to a well presented tutorial for 3 screen setup.:helpsmilie:

Go to \DCS World\Config\Monitor Setup\. You will see various options including 1 Screen and 3 Screen. You don't have to do anything there unless you want to tweak it later, it's just to let you know where these things are kept.

In-game go to Settings... System.

For Resolution set whatever your total width is, e.g. 1980+1980+1980 = 5760 x 1080.

For Monitors set either:

1 Screen to give one panoramic view across monitors but side screens will stretch

OR

3 Screen which will give you a front, left and right view and cost a lot more GPU power. IMHO a much better view and if you get your monitor size and viewing distance right those odd-looking side screens won't actually seem odd any more and it all tends to visually 'scale' with the TrackIR movement as you look around. I run 3 27" screens with side screens angled in about 40 degrees and I sit 70cm from the centre one. Very nice.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

No there has been no progress with multi screen, you still have to mess with the lua files to get it right can take a very long time for me.

If something changes I have to start over.

There was once a third party multi display add on that would have been awesome but that was smashed before it took off because of some disagreement between the author and DCS.

I guess DCS doesn't care much for making setting up multi monitors a very easy task from the GUI..

Stuff posted above is just repeating the same old same old, if your monitors are all the same then a small child can do it..

Edited by aairon

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

No there has been no progress with multi screen, you still have to mess with the lua files to get it right can take a very long time for me.

If something changes I have to start over.

There was once a third party multi display add on that would have been awesome but that was smashed before it took off because of some disagreement between the author and DCS.

I guess DCS doesn't care much for making setting up multi monitors a very easy task from the GUI..

Stuff posted above is just repeating the same old same old, if your monitors are all the same then a small child can do it..

No it isn't difficult. It doesn't take much understanding. There is plenty of guidance here and ED have provided the basic facilities that need no special skills. If your monitor are different sizes why would you even bother, it's self defeating.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

I have used Helios for years, but my calculations are simple as I have 2 identical size monitors side by side. My friend is just begining DCS and he has 2 monitors:

top monitor: 2560x1440

bottom monitor: 1680x1050

I would appreciate if someone would tell me what goes into the space in the game options for Resolution:????

and how do you calculate the right and left MFDs when the monitors are of different sizes:????

==============================

name = _('PeterMonitor2');

Description = 'Export example2';

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.777777778;

}

}

GUI=

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

}

--UIMainView = GUI

--//////////////////////////////////////

-- Eagle Dynamics A-10C =

ED_A10C_LEFT_MFCD =

{

x =????? ;

y =??????;

width = 445;

height = 445;

}

ED_A10C_RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x =??????;

y = ????;

width = 445;

height = 445;

Thanks

sobe

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

It depends how you have the aligned in windows kinda.

Let's say you have 2xHD next to each other (in windows).

and you want the left MFCD in the upper left corner of the second (right) monitor then the left MFCD would have

x = 1920

y = 0

and the right one would have

x = 3395 -- 2x1920 - 445

y = 0

Same as for the resolution you have to tell where the upper left corner of each element(in this case MCD) is by giving it the coordinates in pixels based on your windows layout.

You can still position the second monitor below your other ones of course, the coordinates are about how the resolution is set up only.

If for some reason you decide to align them vertical in windows it would be

x = 0

y =1080

for the left MFCD to get rendered in the upper left corner and so on.

The resolution in option has to be both monitors e.g. 3840x1080 for two horizontal aligned HD monitors.

...at least until someone updates softTH to dx11

so options for you friend would say 4240x1440 again if they are aligned next to each other in windows.

cheers

Edited by Weltensegler

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

Weltensegler

"so options for you friend would say 4240x1440 again if they are aligned next to each other in windows."

Of course to make things difficult, he wants them vertical in windows and in the game, so would the resolution in the game be 2560x2490???

[2560x1440 and 1680x1050]

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

correct!

But I would put them next to each other in windows.

Not sure it matters that much though since the age of CTR screens is over.

and the upper left corner for the left MFCS would be accordingly

x = 0

y =1440 --(it has been a while so I'm uncertain if you may need to have 1441 instead but you'll see that if so)

if he is gluing a saitek MFCD frame ontop you probably need to add 15 pixels or so to both x and y for the frame ...or for a helios graphical frame.

Edited by Weltensegler

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

-->

Actually yes I recommend putting them next to each other to render less total pixels.

6105600 vs. 6374400(vertical)

Moments in DCS:

-->

Actualy I'm the person Sobe is referring to.

I have a 2560x1440 main and a 1680x1050 under the main.

My initial script was:

name = _('ShadMonitor2');

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.777777778;

}

}

GUI=

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

}

--UIMainView = GUI

ED_A10C_LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 460;

y = 1460;

width = 445;

height = 445;

}

ED_A10C_RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 1655;

y = 1460;

width = 445;

height = 445;

}

But without sucess

RyZen5 3600x, MSI GamingX RX 5700xt, AX-370-K7, 16 Gig G-Skil 3200 :thumbup:, Antec 650w (Still),Win10 on 256G 870 NVMe, 860+850 Evo for Apps, 2x1TB WD HDs for :music_whistling:, TR5 :detective:, Hog stick:joystick:, 3x TM MFD Bezels. a 32" AOC, @ 2560x1440, no floppy & a crappy chair :pain:. Its hard to find a chair that accepts you as you grow.:pilotfly:

Is the revised export file, such as the one from Capt Z also needed just to export the MFD viewports? I know it is necessary for the other instruments.

Edited by sobe

No it isn't difficult. It doesn't take much understanding. There is plenty of guidance here and ED have provided the basic facilities that need no special skills. If your monitor are different sizes why would you even bother, it's self defeating.

Apparently you're not the only person on this planet who uses DCS.

Read the above exchanges and by all means tell them how ridiculously simple it is.

There was a project that got squashed like a bug that had a gui for doing this very thing but it got killed!

It's crazy to still have to be kludging this shit together!

Edited by aairon

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

Apparently you're not the only person on this planet who uses DCS.

Read the above exchanges and by all means tell them how ridiculously simple it is.

There was a project that got squashed like a bug that had a gui for doing this very thing but it got killed!

It's crazy to still have to be kludging this shit together!

The question asked was simple enough, how to set up 3-4 screens. No talk of MFDs etc. The answers seem to have gone off-track.

3 Screens is already catered for. Yes, if a fourth is to be used say underneath for instruments that's not hard at all. Copy '3 Screen.lua' and simply add the fourth as 'Bottom'. It's simple sums. This is exactly what I do, see spoiler.

name = _('3_ScreensOverInstruments_Windows3+1_7680x1080_NoBezCorrection');

Description = 'Configuration for 3 Screens over central Instruments - Windows 3 + 1 with no Bezel Correction'

Viewports =

{

Left =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = -1.0;

viewDy = 0.0;

aspect = 1.777777777777;

},

Center =

{

x = 1920;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.777777777777;

},

Right =

{

x = 1920+1920;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 1.0;

viewDy = 0.0;

aspect = 1.777777777777;

},

Bottom =

{

x = 1920+1920+1920;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

viewDx = 0.0;

viewDy = -1.0;

aspect = 1.777777777777;

}

}

--UIMainView = Viewports.Center

GUI =

{

x = 1920;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080;

}

UIMainView = GUI

• Like 1

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

Actualy I'm the person Sobe is referring to.

I have a 2560x1440 main and a 1680x1050 under the main.

My initial script was:

name = _('ShadMonitor2');

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 1.777777778;

}

}

GUI=

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 2560;

height = 1440;

}

--UIMainView = GUI

ED_A10C_LEFT_MFCD =

{

x = 460;

y = 1460;

width = 445;

height = 445;

}

ED_A10C_RIGHT_MFCD =

{

x = 1655;

y = 1460;

width = 445;

height = 445;

}

But without sucess

well I hope after reading my posts above you got it working.

Otherwise ..."without success" makes it hard to make further suggestions or even know what isnt working ofcourse.

Moments in DCS:

-->

• 2 weeks later...

Hy guys.

Is it this multi-monitor setup working in the newest DCS 2.5?

Can I use it for any aircraft I want?For example harrier,mirage etc?

It will by great if somebody will do brand new tutorial how to set up in new dcs 2.5 and SPECIAL for new aircrafts,becouse original tutorial was from year 2010 and there is no more shown threads inside.

Edited by SVK_Daniel

Hy guys.

Is it this multi-monitor setup working in the newest DCS 2.5?

Can I use it for any aircraft I want?For example harrier,mirage etc?

It will by great if somebody will do brand new tutorial how to set up in new dcs 2.5 and SPECIAL for new aircrafts,becouse original tutorial was from year 2010 and there is no more shown threads inside.

I have just installed 2.5 version.

Adapted my monitor setup (3 screens KA-50 : Main view+Shvalk+ABRIS)

Result : not working !

Any other feedback ?

Thxxx

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

OMG, my brain hurts trying to figure this out. I have 4 screens in a T shape. three 1920x1080 across the top (5760x1080) and the bottom monitor is 1680x1050. I can't understand how to set this up. I would like the bottom to Show the MFD's and avionics and the top to span the main view. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by strike277

Your Search-Fu is far better than mine!

OMG, my brain hurts trying to figure this out. I have 4 screens in a T shape. three 1920x1080 across the top (5760x1080) and the bottom monitor is 1680x1050. I can't understand how to set this up. I would like the bottom to Show the MFD's and avionics and the top to span the main view. Any help would be appreciated.

makes for 5760x2130

Viewports =

{

Center =

{

x = 0;

y = 0;

width = 5760;

height = 2130;

viewDx = 0;

viewDy = 0;

aspect = 5760/2130;

}

}

GUI_center=

{

x = 1920;

y = 0;

width = 1920;

height = 1080 ;

}

UIMainView = GUI_center

name this in the file field,

save as file,

select in options

you place the bottom screen via Windows display or NVidia Control Panel etc.

that's it for 1 big viewport

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |