Harrier CAS page update - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 01:34 PM   #51
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenSim View Post
There really isn't a good reason the in-game JTAC shouldn't also work with the Harrier, or Hornet for that matter.

The procedures are the same (by design, it's a NATO standard). The JTAC should be able to provide a grid coordinate in whichever format the aircraft takes (and the Harrier ought to be able to enter MGRS/GRID anyway). The technical differences between the datalinks (SADL vs. ATHS) are mostly transparent to the player, since both should be able to transmit and receive a digital attack brief.
Yeah, but the JTAC and its code base, the SADL representation and integration into the A-10C was developed by ED, and the AV-8B, ATHS requires integration of Razbam external code base with stuff that is likely EDs intellectual property.
I doubt Razbam has access to the A-10C source code.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:34 AM   #52
ChickenSim

Yeah, understood. I just meant from a gameplay perspective, the in-game JTAC ought to be a separate entity from the A-10 and work with other CAS-capable aircraft.

There's no reason ED shouldn't make it so, or if the API hooks are available, that third-party devs shouldn't be able to make their modules compatible with it.
ChickenSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #53
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenSim View Post
Yeah, understood. I just meant from a gameplay perspective, the in-game JTAC ought to be a separate entity from the A-10 and work with other CAS-capable aircraft.

There's no reason ED shouldn't make it so, or if the API hooks are available, that third-party devs shouldn't be able to make their modules compatible with it.
From the past experience with JTAC implementation and third party aircraft it seems not that easy (more than once JTAC broke). I hope ED makes it possible to hook into more than just the comms menu so we can "send coordinates" by JTAC.
One particular thing I would love to see is telling the JTAC the laser code for the bomb under our wing and have him set his designator accordingly, rather than the other way round.

Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
Old 03-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #54
Captain Orso

Apparently ED has been revamping a lot of equipment used in multiple modules (eg. Litening Targeting Pod) into API's, so that they can "simply" be "plugged" into nearly any module.

Maybe with a little luck, they'll get around to doing this with JTAC's as well. It would probably be the API with the widest usage, as nearly every aircraft capable of CAS would probably need to have it.

Time will tell.

System Specs.
Spoiler:
System board ... MSI X99A GAMING 9 ACK
CPU ............ Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3800MHz per OC Genie
CPU cooling .... Noctua NH-D15
Memory ......... 16GB DDR4-3000 G.Skill Ripjaw
PSU ............ Corsair AX860i PSU
Graphics card .. Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme
System disk .... SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB SSD
Monitor ........ ASUS MG279Q, 27"
VR ............. Oculus Rift CV1
Captain Orso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:49 PM   #55
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orso View Post
Apparently ED has been revamping a lot of equipment used in multiple modules (eg. Litening Targeting Pod) into API's, so that they can "simply" be "plugged" into nearly any module.

Maybe with a little luck, they'll get around to doing this with JTAC's as well. It would probably be the API with the widest usage, as nearly every aircraft capable of CAS would probably need to have it.

Time will tell.
Jepp, I would love to see the option of asking a JTAC to lase a target with any aircraft that can haul an LGB... not just when you carry a TGP.

Old 03-30-2020, 12:46 PM   #56
Wolixe

So I tried to manually enter coordinates to the cas page. The problem I found was that the tpod shows them in decimal seconds but u can only enter seconds in the UFC that is then converted again to decimal seconds in the cas page. Is there an easier way or how do you guys do it?
Wolixe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #57
tea_cypher

If you can see the target in the tpod, you can directly push it to T0, think you have to use laser ranger on it sub 8 miles and press and hold waypoint increment for over a second, you tube is your friend here as there should be some vids
tea_cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #58
Wolixe

I been doing exactly that today while training with the jdams. But what if I want to use the topd to get coordinates of multiple targets and drop on all of them in a single pass.
Wolixe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:46 PM   #59
Wakeshift

In DCS, the way to do this would be to point your TPOD at each target, record the coordinates, and then mark it on the F10 map as if it were 'preplanned' mode.

Then import the map marks to CAS page, and go from there.

Obviously, this is game function and unlikely to match real-life procedure. I believe that TOO is correctly modeled as one-at-a-time.

Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy
A-10C | AV-8B | F/A-18 | UH-1H | SA342 | Mi8 | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier
Wakeshift is offline   Reply With Quote