CNC Router for engraving

lazduc

Do any of you have any experience with the cnc routers on ebay? The one that caught my attention was a water cooled 800watt 30 X 40 for around 900.00. Are these usable for this engraving and light circuit board routing? It is a 4 axis machine.

What software is available....like in fonts and for that matter any suggestions on good software? :thumbup:

I've read that the supplied software with these machines...sucks. :D

Thanks

Laz

Edited by lazduc
add a little info.

Have you looked into local laser engraving shops? I went to one to buy material (not engrave, I engrave at my university for $5 a job) but I asked them about how much something costs and the price was actually pretty reasonable,I want to say $12? Though that adds up really fast if you're doing a pit. But I'm just throwing it out there.

Light the tires kick the fires!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Im just talking to my local sign maker, they laser print labels based on a opaque white with a black surface that is etched away in one pass to reveal the white, they are thin and adhesive. Might be able to stick them on an acrylic base...

It could cover a multitude of DIY hand tool errors!

• 2 weeks later...

Laz

Sorry for the late reply!

I have been busy making pcb's and panels!

FUELPCB.thumb.jpg.33cba4f31a3fed9146bf99ba336b9ff8.jpg

If you are like me and don't want to spend 3 or 4 thousand dollars on a cnc just for pit building then I think 3040 is great. Mine does great on PCB and Panels. Requires a little fine tuning and adjustment. I have 1047 M3's on mine! (M3 is Gcode command for spindle start). Most of those are probably just small tests though....

My opinion is, for under $1000, its good.

problems i found where bad assembly by factory. like loose backlash nuts and misaligned gantry. also the bed is not flat. These problems are easily fixed and because it is a fairly small machine the rigidity is ok. I would buy again.

My bench! love the Hakko!!

BENCH.thumb.JPG.c6c2634d3d64fa780a07ae9ee1b74990.JPG

Edited by ClayM

I second getting a 3040 machine for engraving. I use mine to cut as well. I got it for about $500 or so on ebay (From China of course) but it has served me very well. These units are also a good intro to the world of CNC milling. My unit came with a pirated version of Mach3 - but the docs encouraged you to buy it if you found it useful - which I did.

Laz

Sorry for the late reply!

I have been busy making pcb's and panels!

[ATTACH]155724[/ATTACH]

If you are like me and don't want to spend 3 or 4 thousand dollars on a cnc just for pit building then I think 3040 is great. Mine does great on PCB and Panels. Requires a little fine tuning and adjustment. I have 1047 M3's on mine! (M3 is Gcode command for spindle start). Most of those are probably just small tests though....

My opinion is, for under $1000, its good.

problems i found where bad assembly by factory. like loose backlash nuts and misaligned gantry. also the bed is not flat. These problems are easily fixed and because it is a fairly small machine the rigidity is ok. I would buy again.

My bench! love the Hakko!!

[ATTACH]155727[/ATTACH]