JDAM alignment

Harlikwin

Pretty annoying to have to sit on orbit for 4 minutes everytime you switch INS weapons. Deployed 4 x JSOW and 2x JDAM last night and spent 20 minutes and about 3,000lbs on alignment alone.

F-14 | F/A-18C | F-16C | AJS-37 | M-2000C | A-10C | UH-1H | F-5E | P-51 | Bf 109

Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Supercarrier

YouTube | Steam | Discord: JayBird#4400

i7-7700K | GTX 980 | 32gb RAM | 500gb SSD | 2TB HDD| Track IR | TM Warthog HOTAS | Logitech Pro Pedals

True. Even though I also failed initially to understand that there is a difference between having JDAMs selected and then selecting another weapon and actually and explicitly deselecting a weapon.

well, i've just been flying the Dire Straits mission, which comes with the Hornet, and being able to select an AA weapon, having already set up the JDAMs, without losing those settings would have been nice, when an Iranian F4 Phantom turned up and fired a missile at me, when i was just getting into the JDAM's range.

the bad news was that i eventually got shot down, having taken too long to decide to fight, but the good news is that i did manage to land an AIM 9X on the F4 before his missile landed. i also didn't need to reset the setup and target data for my JDAMs, as i probably would have done had i survived.

btw. That second "plus point" was me just being overly positive about getting wasted by an F4. i will get that mission completed though :)

Pretty annoying to have to sit on orbit for 4 minutes everytime you switch INS weapons. Deployed 4 x JSOW and 2x JDAM last night and spent 20 minutes and about 3,000lbs on alignment alone.

Yeah again, I'm not sure it should actually work like that for JDAM's at least. Or maybe even JSOW. Per the document it states that the 2-3 min startup is done initially, and it suggests it can even happen on the ground. Then you have in flight procedures, and reset/troubleshooting procedures where you can "re-align" but it doesn't sound like you would have to under normal operations.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah again, I'm not sure it should actually work like that for JDAM's at least. Or maybe even JSOW. Per the document it states that the 2-3 min startup is done initially, and it suggests it can even happen on the ground. Then you have in flight procedures, and reset/troubleshooting procedures where you can "re-align" but it doesn't sound like you would have to under normal operations.

The way I understand JDAM procedures: Once "boxed" on the STORES page the weapon is powered up and aligned. In case there are different variants of JDAMs, all get powered up and aligned but only the selected (boxed) one will be ready for release. Others are aligned and powered up and are ready when selected. If none of the JDAMs is boxed on the STORES page the power is cut. However the selected JDAM can remain boxed while the pilot browses the DDI's MENU, switches master modes and so forth.

Well, that's how I would've programmed this whole mess:doh:

I don't know what docs ED has and what their plan is for systems that "everyone" knows about but no officially released docs are floating around. Does this mean they will never model these systems or features?:noexpression:

The way I understand JDAM procedures: Once "boxed" on the STORES page the weapon is powered up and aligned. In case there are different variants of JDAMs, all get powered up and aligned but only the selected (boxed) one will be ready for release. Others are aligned and powered up and are ready when selected. If none of the JDAMs is boxed on the STORES page the power is cut. However the selected JDAM can remain boxed while the pilot browses the DDI's MENU, switches master modes and so forth.

Well, that's how I would've programmed this whole mess:doh:

I don't know what docs ED has and what their plan is for systems that "everyone" knows about but no officially released docs are floating around. Does this mean they will never model these systems or features?:noexpression:

What if the pilot switches to AA mode. Alignment lost?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

No it goes into a background refresh, in theory the only way to drop alignment is to select another A/G weapon, or unbox JDAM

Well thats broken then, you definately loose alignment if you go a/a

You can post the damn JDAM / F/A-18C manual on WIKILEAKS,

unless you're with the Russians then you want to trade names through US State then you can walk around free and drink coffee in public .

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |