New tech discussion section

Alfa

Got the Viacom pro full pack went to down load all but it failed so I downloaded individual extensions  got all the keys but you cant   download the Interactive Knee board or the Realistic ATC without having to buy them again tried contacting them but no answer yet. So if anyone knows what to do and can inform me I would be much Obliged.

thanks 

have also asked in the general section but hope fully this seems like a good place to ask hope Ive entered it correctly as a reply

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2021 at 5:48 AM, Johnezq said:

Got the Viacom pro full pack went to down load all but it failed so I downloaded individual extensions  got all the keys but you cant   download the Interactive Knee board or the Realistic ATC without having to buy them again tried contacting them but no answer yet. So if anyone knows what to do and can inform me I would be much Obliged.

thanks 

have also asked in the general section but hope fully this seems like a good place to ask hope Ive entered it correctly as a reply

Did you ever get this sorted out? You should have gotten an email with keys for each module. You then have to activate them one by one. Downloading the software is free, you just can't use it until you register the keys.

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

• 1 year later...

Affordable DCS World PC

I often see people saying that the kind of PC required to play the sim is just too expensive - and also many who still play older versions or FC1 or 2 for the same reason.

Today, whilst in town, I came across a new Cash Generator store in the high street (this is a shop in the UK that buys and sells used things of all kinds) and I was gobsmacked to see a nice PC, with similar specs to my own, at £300. That's with a 3 months warranty included.

Z390A Motherboard

i9 9900k CPU

RTX 2080Ti graphics card

32GB GSkill DDR4 RAM

Corsair RM850x PSU

all in a very nice looking high-airflow case. I couldn't check the SSDs fitted, but given the rest of the spec, they are likely to be decent. I don't know if the other ancilliaries were included (monitor etc) but it's easy to find out.

Not only is it only £300, but there's the option of monthly payments (10x IIRC - so £30 a month). Now, back when I used to be skint and out of work, this would have been a dream come true. So - if you are in the UK and this is something you would like for flying DCS  (it would even easily  be enough for VR) - don't forget to give the Cash Generator website a once-over. They do deliver.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin
  • Like 3

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

On 10/22/2022 at 1:30 PM, Johnny Dioxin said:

Affordable DCS World PC

I often see people saying that the kind of PC required to play the sim is just too expensive - and also many who still play older versions or FC1 or 2 for the same reason.

Today, whilst in town, I came across a new Cash Generator store in the high street (this is a shop in the UK that buys and sells used things of all kinds) and I was gobsmacked to see a nice PC, with similar specs to my own, at £300. That's with a 3 months warranty included.

Z390A Motherboard

i9 9900k CPU

RTX 2080Ti graphics card

32GB GSkill DDR4 RAM

Corsair RM850x PSU

all in a very nice looking high-airflow case. I couldn't check the SSDs fitted, but given the rest of the spec, they are likely to be decent. I don't know if the other ancilliaries were included (monitor etc) but it's easy to find out.

Not only is it only £300, but there's the option of monthly payments (10x IIRC - so £30 a month). Now, back when I used to be skint and out of work, this would have been a dream come true. So - if you are in the UK and this is something you would like for flying DCS  (it would even easily  be enough for VR) - don't forget to give the Cash Generator website a once-over. They do deliver.

Since you're in the UK, you might know CEX

I got my EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti half price with two years warranty from them.

They don't trade motherboards and PSUs but pretty much everything else, you sell stuff to them, they will test it, fail it if it's not top, and you  can buy second had for 50% of the price of new stuff.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X £290.00

Edited by Thinder
  • Thanks 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

About ytour choice of RAM...

IF I'm lucky and get the funding I want, I'm planning to upgrade my RAM from 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB to a 128GB kit of the same RAM, I know it might look excessive but I prefer this to start with DDR5, I can wait until the next generation of technology is fully sorted, when you see what I am asking from my PC it stops looking like an overkill.

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-128GTZR

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

But that ain't B-Die from all I can see

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hi All

My brother has become a true DCS fan and after using a low end trackir, he wants to get trackir 5 like mine. I purchased mine ages ago from RC Simulations. I messaged them about stock but haven't heard anything. Not sure if they are still trading.

Does anyone know of a reputable seller with good reviews? I have done a few searches without real success.

Edited by tmansteve

Got mine from amazon back in 2015, try there.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Update on my planned upgrade:

The MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX and AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D combination works fine but I find the choice of timing at Cl14 limited, at least with this BIOS, you just can't increase frequencies at Cl14.

The G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 128GB (4 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 kit proved to be the wrong choice for the board, first, this kit isn't supported by the motherboard, then it doesn't meet my requirements: Trident Z RGB series using B-die, in a 4 module kit, with single rank modules, at DDR4-3600 (or higher) at CL14.

I was able to run the kit at 3200 and 3600MHz but only with a loss of capacity from 32GB to 8GB per stick, more to the point, the 32GB stick is not single bank (interleaving).

The gain for a 3600 GHz single bank Cl14 kit is about 2% at 4K, it doesn't seems much but at this level every litte % counts, especially running at Cl14 which is the best for a Zen3 favouring lower latency and even pushing the conceipt further with the 5800X 3D.

GSkill technical support are real good and they replied to me immediately, here is their reply to my request.

GSkill-Cl14.jpg

So here I'm back to 32GB (4 X 8GB) of capacity, the good news is, the new kit is a Cl14 3600 MHz and the whole system runs at 4K/MSAA 2 20% faster than my previous rig without any O.C/boost, it should be a good bound for the RX 7900 XTX.

Edited by Thinder

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 5:23 AM, tmansteve said:

Hi All

My brother has become a true DCS fan and after using a low end trackir, he wants to get trackir 5 like mine. I purchased mine ages ago from RC Simulations. I messaged them about stock but haven't heard anything. Not sure if they are still trading.

Does anyone know of a reputable seller with good reviews? I have done a few searches without real success.

I have my old TirackIR 4 camera if you interested. no track clip though. you can either build your own clip (bunch of examples here) or use the included reflective thingy for the hat

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

• 3 months later...

To Motherboard hell and back...

So when I got myself a brand new MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX as part of my 2023 upgrade, it all went downhill from there.

First I had no signal with a brand new GPU, the PCI_E1 slot wouldn't work, I had to install it to the PCI_E2 slot, losing performance ( X 8 vs X 16) and a USB connection in the process (the GPU is too thick to allow for the connector to be fitted when in PCI_E2.

Other little details... The Flash BIOS Button never worked, the battery is quasi-inaccessible because located half-way under one of the mobo sinks, BIOS is unstable, it did display boot options instead of the USB, I managed to go around this issue by dropping the BIOS file in an empty listed partition, since it became visible I was able to update my BIOS...

As much I would recommend anyone wanting to build a starter system the MSI B450 GAMING PLUS motherboard, I'm saying stay away from the MEG X570S ACE MAX, if you're as unlucky as I've been with it you will regret it.

I just ordered an Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard, It should contribute to solving some of my issues, then I'll be able to work on the AMD drivers issues (if the GPU keep under-performing), re-install DCS and get it to work in multithread, at the moment, I do not have the necessary testing equipment to tell which part of my PC is causing other problems than the motherboard and its BIOS.

Wish me luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb Thinder:

To Motherboard hell and back...

So when I got myself a brand new MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX as part of my 2023 upgrade, it all went downhill from there.

First I had no signal with a brand new GPU, the PCI_E1 slot wouldn't work, I had to install it to the PCI_E2 slot, losing performance ( X 8 vs X 16) and a USB connection in the process (the GPU is too thick to allow for the connector to be fitted when in PCI_E2.

Other little details... The Flash BIOS Button never worked, the battery is quasi-inaccessible because located half-way under one of the mobo sinks, BIOS is unstable, it did display boot options instead of the USB, I managed to go around this issue by dropping the BIOS file in an empty listed partition, since it became visible I was able to update my BIOS...

As much I would recommend anyone wanting to build a starter system the MSI B450 GAMING PLUS motherboard, I'm saying stay away from the MEG X570S ACE MAX, if you're as unlucky as I've been with it you will regret it.

I just ordered an Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 Chipset ATX Motherboard, It should contribute to solving some of my issues, then I'll be able to work on the AMD drivers issues (if the GPU keep under-performing), re-install DCS and get it to work in multithread, at the moment, I do not have the necessary testing equipment to tell which part of my PC is causing other problems than the motherboard and its BIOS.

Wish me luck.

yeah man, that sounds like a plan and good luck with it. 

• Like 1

I5 13400F, 32GB DDR5 6200 CL30, RTX4070ti Super

2x 1tb m.2 (PCIe4.0)

Sometimes boards really suck, I mean really 🤬

Sometimes it‘s only your particular board, sometimes it’s a whole batch and worst if the SKU is flawed until a newer version is released, if ever.

Be assured, that curse haunts us all from time to time and it’s a real PITA cause it takes a lot of time and patience.

we all favor one or the other brand because we think they are best, reliable, whatever. In the end it remains rolling the dice and maybe a nasty RMA.

Good Luck 🍀 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 1:45 PM, BitMaster said:

Sometimes boards really suck, I mean really 🤬

Sometimes it‘s only your particular board, sometimes it’s a whole batch and worst if the SKU is flawed until a newer version is released, if ever.

Be assured, that curse haunts us all from time to time and it’s a real PITA cause it takes a lot of time and patience.

we all favor one or the other brand because we think they are best, reliable, whatever. In the end it remains rolling the dice and maybe a nasty RMA.

Good Luck 🍀 

Thanks!

Now I run an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], installation was pretty straight forward, BIOS easy to update and I immediately noticed a clear increase in image quality and clarity with standard GPU settings playing Elite Dangerous Odyssey, it has slightly less features than the MSI but quality is high, bat is accessible without having to dismount anything and I still can run 5 + 1 fans and an M2 SSD...

There is a little problem tough, with the MSI, the PCI_E1 slot never game me X 16 bandwidth, it was running slower than PCI_E2, so the CPU could tolerate my G.Skill Cl14 kit at 3600MHz, the controller would manage since the bandwidth was never reaching its load limits.

With this one, it seems that the CPU controller won't take 3600MHz but the next lower frequency because the CPU would become unstable, 4 X 2 ranks and 3600MHz doesn't work with this Controller, which negate my assumption that they were different from the other Ryzen 3, they apparently are not, so I might have to swap RAM again and go back to a 4 X 1 rank kit.

I still have to run performance tests with 64GB and 32GB to see if it makes a difference (it should in theory). then if I'm lucky, and CEX haven't sold my old kit I'll buy it back from them, otherwise it has to be new and the cheaper 3200 MHz are out of stock, if I want a 4 X 1 rank it has to be a 3600MHz.

Once I'm done with this, I'll start with multithreading in DCS VR.

Here we go. Back to back, standard GPU settings, 4 sticks vs 2 sticks.

18 349
CPU score 9 095

23 227
CPU score  9 912

As I expected there is a clear difference between the two, using a 4 X 2 ranks ram stick resulted in a loss of 21% global performances in 3D Mark Pro Time Spie (-8.98% CPU Score), that's the result of the Ryzen Controller throttling down under load. Frequency was 3200MHz, now it runs at 3600MHz without problems.

Conclusion, 4 X 1 rank is the maximum the Ryzen 3/3D will cope with, I was right before, changing my mind on a false assumption was a costly mistake.

Edited by Thinder

I think the Asus board has a lesser RAM Topology, aka lesser quality in routed traces and maybe even the "wrong" layout for what you want to do.

One reason why I took the GB Master was it's good 4-Module layout compatibility. Tbh, I am still astound it runs 4 Dual-Rank DIMMs at 3600 CL14, ok..it needed

some hefty up-volting, set it to 1,45 but the board makes almost 1,48 out of it but it's stable as far as I can say.

If you want B-Die "AND" 64GB there is no other way but 4x Dual-Rank. I think, your Asus mobo is the culprit, not your CPU.

Didn't you have them at desired speed with the same CPU in another board ?  Might be wrong here.

Try with more Volts, B-Die don't die till way north of 1.5ish Volts. Trying 1.475 ain't a bad idea to see if it fixes your stability or booting issue.

I also had a mishap few days ago, long story short..too little coffee too early in the day and working the registry is a big No-No !

I deleted the wrong keys along with the correct ones, rebooted and BANG..BSOD... luckily I have Acronis on USB and Cloud so it only took

3 hours to fix my C drive ( another reason to split OS and Apps on different drives ).  It haunts us all, sooner or later your ticket is called, either

by mistake or just bad luck but basically, you can't totally avoid IT trouble. A backup helps, if it restores 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BitMaster said:

I think the Asus board has a lesser RAM Topology, aka lesser quality in routed traces and maybe even the "wrong" layout for what you want to do.

One reason why I took the GB Master was it's good 4-Module layout compatibility. Tbh, I am still astound it runs 4 Dual-Rank DIMMs at 3600 CL14, ok..it needed

some hefty up-volting, set it to 1,45 but the board makes almost 1,48 out of it but it's stable as far as I can say.

If you want B-Die "AND" 64GB there is no other way but 4x Dual-Rank. I think, your Asus mobo is the culprit, not your CPU.

Didn't you have them at desired speed with the same CPU in another board ?  Might be wrong here.

Try with more Volts, B-Die don't die till way north of 1.5ish Volts. Trying 1.475 ain't a bad idea to see if it fixes your stability or booting issue.

I also had a mishap few days ago, long story short..too little coffee too early in the day and working the registry is a big No-No !

I deleted the wrong keys along with the correct ones, rebooted and BANG..BSOD... luckily I have Acronis on USB and Cloud so it only took

3 hours to fix my C drive ( another reason to split OS and Apps on different drives ).  It haunts us all, sooner or later your ticket is called, either

by mistake or just bad luck but basically, you can't totally avoid IT trouble. A backup helps, if it restores 🙂

True, but only because the PCI_E1 slot never provided with the volume of bandwidth that the CPU would struggle with, in fact, X 16 CPI_E1 on this board only kicks in when the limit of X 8 bandwidth is reached, since it was faulty and running slower than PCI_E2 (X 8 only), it never happened.

For the CPU controller limitation I have long had the information from G.Skill and now confirmation from ASUS, the Ryzen 3/3D Controllers will throttle back if they have to run more than 4 ranks, but this only occurs under load, if you play at lower resolution than 4K you might not even be aware of this the same way that a CPI_E1 slot running at X 8 will fool you and your CPU controller, at least, this is what I understood from G.Skill and ASUS emails.

The only G.Skill sticks with one rank are the 8GB 3200 or 3600 MHz, the 16GB are two ranks, so I had this issue without being aware (or rather understanding it) from the time I installed this kit.

No. The MSI B450 and 5600X always ran with Cl14 3200 MHz from the time I replaced the Crucial "Gaming" 3200MHz, same capacity (32GB), but the G.Skill was a 4 X 1 rank kit which allows for interleaving on those CPUs.

I purchased the 32GB kit on 1/22/2021, the 3600 32GB Cl14 on 11/16/2022 then the 64GB kit on 1/31/2023, with retrospect, the last purchase was a mistake because I oversaw the rank limitation issues and I already knew only 8GB sticks are 1 rank, I just didn't put the dots together and focused on my idea to start using 3D SMax again for spaceship design.

So right now, I only lost interleaving which accounts for <> 2/3% in performance but perhaps makes the job of the CPU a lot easier because it can access and write data on more than 1 stick, which with the 7 5800X 3D might be useful.

Also, both recent emails from Overclockers and ASUS came to the same conclusion than what G.Skill was telling me a longtime ago, under load, the number of ranks per stick causes the CPU to throttle down.

Using only two sticks doesn't bother me more than that, as long as it works well enough and it is way faster than using the four of them.

Here is what MSI support were telling me on the subject when I inquired about different RAM kits.

MSI-support.jpg

Edited by Thinder

Speaking of RAM, I just ordered the AMD 7800X3D, looking for gaming motherboard, narrowed it down to 2 so far based on my eye bleeding research.

Option 1=ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi AM5

Option 2=MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk

(Dont care about Gen 5 support and want full audio suite on rear panel and plenty of USB ports there as well)

These boards need DDR5 Ram as I understand it. That being the case, do I really need more than 32gig for DCS? I wouldnt mind putting 64 gig in, but prices are a bit too high for wasting it. If it is highly recommended, then I will do so.

Thoughts? Thanks,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just ordered specifically for DCS:

SAMSUNG 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD

• Sequential Read Up to 7,450 MB/s
  • Sequential Write Up to 6,900 MB/s
  • ASUS TUF GAMING X570 has 2 x M.2 x4 PCIe Gen 4 & SATA mode, the new SSD will be running on Slot1.

The last part of my system optimization, increasing the SSD bandwidth, this new SSD should contribute to obtain better performances, especially since the SSD I have now (970 EVO PLUS 500GB) while not being slow, is not on the same league:

SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 500GB

• Sequential Read Up to 3,500 MB/s 112.85% slower.
  • Sequential Write Up to 3,200 MB/s 115.62% slower.

Preparing the installation of my new SAMSUNG 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD (as usual DPD courrier delivery pretended to have "missed me" when I was at home all day and set the option for him/her to leave the package in a safe place. Delivery expected tomorrow (25th).

Moved Windows 11 Pro to SATA SSD, fast enough for the OS (Cloned with Hasleo Back Up Suite Free edition, works perfectly).

Moved SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD to socket M2_1 socket 3 supporting x4 bandwidth, it is PCIe 3.0 and is slower than socket M2_2 which support 4.0 x 4 mode, wiped it out and repartioned it (NTFS) in SAFE MODE.

The SAMSUNG 990 PRO SSD will seat on the M.2_2 and be able to run at full speed: Sequential Read Up to 7,450 MB/s Sequential Write Up to 6,900 MB/s, this is the SSD where I will install my games, currently DCS, Elite Dangerous and World of Warships.

All my apps are installed on the SATA SSD (C Windows 11 Pro), so I have the choice to use both M2 SSDs for games and/or apps such 3DMark Pro on the M2_2 for test accuracy since it will run at the same speed than DCS.

As soon as everything is set, I will conduct some tests with 3DMark Pro (Fire Strike 4 K 2 X MSAA), before installing DVS-MT then do further testings.