Conventional bombs - confused by EFUZ setting

imacken

For months now, I have been happily dropping bombs with EFUZ set of OFF. However, I was reading the manual on this topic, and a setting of INST is recommended. Chuck's guide also says to set to INST.

In Wags' video from January

he says to use INST.

Yet in other videos, e.g.

he has it set to OFF.

Trying it with INST or OFF doesn't seem to make any difference AFAICS, so what is the correct situation here?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I can see that, so are you saying that the EFUZ INST or OFF is irrelevant if MFUZ is set? If so, why are there recommendations in the manuals for INST?

From ED manual:

Bomb Fuze Settings. Different types of bombs require different MFUZ and EFUZ settings. In the current early access, the following should be used:

General Purpose Bombs (Mk-80 series):

• MFUZE = NOSE

• EFUZ = INST

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I can see that, so are you saying that the EFUZ INST or OFF is irrelevant if MFUZ is set? If so, why are there recommendations in the manuals for INST?

From ED manual:

Bomb Fuze Settings. Different types of bombs require different MFUZ and EFUZ settings. In the current early access, the following should be used:

General Purpose Bombs (Mk-80 series):

• MFUZE = NOSE

• EFUZ = INST

Yes exactly. The bombs have two independent fuzes, for redundancy and flexibility. The manual recommends setting them that way because that's how it's done IRL. Two fuzes, less chance of failure.

Also, if the tail is set up as a delay fuze, it gives the pilot a real time method of choosing the fuze option. Just set MFUZE OFF and EFUZ DELAY, or for impact MFUZE NOSE and EFUZ INST (or DELAY, same effect).

OK, thanks, I see what you mean. So, in practice, it makes no difference to have EFUZ set to INST or OFF if the MFUZ is set? Just a failsafe to set to INST?

OK, thanks, I see what you mean. So, in practice, it makes no difference to have EFUZ set to INST or OFF if the MFUZ is set? Just a failsafe to set to INST?

Correct.

I'm hoping that ED will implement additional fuzes later. Wag's has hinted at the DSU-33. Which is a airburst nose fuze, which will be cool. Damage model permitting....

Also, the JPF, which is a ELEC Tail fuze for use on JDAM. It features cockpit reconfigurable delay times.

Also, if the tail is set up as a delay fuze, it gives the pilot a real time method of choosing the fuze option. Just set MFUZE OFF and EFUZ DELAY, or for impact MFUZE NOSE and EFUZ INST (or DELAY, same effect).

What do you mean gives the pilot real time method of choosing the fuze option? What is the purpose of DELAY anyway?

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

What do you mean gives the pilot real time method of choosing the fuze option? What is the purpose of DELAY anyway?

boNes

It means that the pilot can choose whether the bomb will detonate on impact or after a short time. Note that by a "short time", I mean something like 10ms or 100ms, maybe 1s in some cases. In DCS, delayed fuzes take much longer to activate, delayed fuze timings are greatly exaggerated.

The purpose of a delayed detonation is for the bomb to first penetrate the target before exploding, such as a penetrator bomb piercing a bunker, a runway or a hardened aircraft hangar and exploding inside, a Mk-84 crashing through the roof of a building before detonating or a missile piercing a tank's armor before detonating. The damage potential is much higher.

In some cases, longer delays can be used to allow the delivering aircraft to escape the blast radius after a very low delivery.

In WW2, both the Allies and the Axis used very long delays (days) and effectively turned bombs into timed mines, making repairs and bomb disposal efforts impossible or extremely dangerous.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro