F-18 Cockpit displays illegible in VR

Chevydriver

Great simulation but the F-18 displays are still VERY hard to read when in VR.

Please see attached screenshots for details about the areas of concern.

-The HUD is fine.

-The rest of the cockpit including switches are OK as long as viewed at the VR "sweet spot" location

-Anything outside the aircraft remains fine even with far less aggressive video settings.

Can you please confirm what is the intended minimum resolution/Pixel density/other applicable setting to be able to read the F-18 displays in VR?

****Note: Rest of cockpit is useable, it's just the displays are very hard to read****

LargeFont.thumb.jpg.be0167c3033d8a9b215de43fd95483df.jpg

SmallFont.jpg.6f918c2ba4622efc5a347ccfa96e3208.jpg

GTXsettings.png.8891435e46529905026d602a90619194.png

What VR headset are you using?

Samsung Odyssey Plus. The specs/settings are superimposed on the "screen capture" on the original post.

Hoping to hear back if there is an intended resolution for the F-18 displays to be readable, or if that's not specified, then which setting is most applicable for clarifying displays in VR(ie. pixel density, overall resolution within game, VR interface resolution multiplier, something else?).

Even a list of what resolution settings don't help "display readability in VR" would be extremely helpful, as those items can be deselected/reduced in order to restore frame rates.

I am away from my system and have not flown with the latest update.

I have the odyssey plus and the display text are very readable without zooming at all.

My spec

Gtx 1060 6g

16g ram

In nvidia control panel, all setting remain at default except power management mode setting preferred maximum performance.

DCS PD set to 1.3

SteamVR SS set to 96%

Setting your SS multiplier to be higher than the original resolution per eye of the Hmd could be asking to much from your gtx 1070.

How about setting eye resolution to the figure recommended for your Hmd in SteamVR setting page.

You could also dial down the display resolution setting down to see.

1024 or 512

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

The problem I originally had with the O+ was the cockpit scaling by default was too small, made it very difficult to read. When your shoulders are chronically merged inside the canopy rails you know. Once the pit was scaled up proper they're very easy to read.

Thanks for the suggestion, Eaglewings... I restored all the GPU settings to default(except power mgmt), put displays on 256, minimum resolution on all the "settings". I did a bunch of tests with only changing combinations of pixel density and supersampling(Steam was indicating a recommendation of 118% supersampling based on system settings, but I allowed it to use its auto supersampling on the lower frames).

Is this similar to what you are getting for DDI image sharpness with your system? With my updated settings, the displays are now usable with a modest lean forward and very good image quality with a large lean forward.

DisplayTest.thumb.png.d9b6ef8525c6feaeeb50e0509896ef18.png

In the Options menus, under the VR tab, check the "force IPD distance" which will scale your jet larger with a lower number. Disregard the meaning of IPD on this setting, it has nothing to do with the IPD of your actual VR HMD, it does adjust game world scaling, and very well.

Thanks for the suggestion, Eaglewings... I restored all the GPU settings to default(except power mgmt), put displays on 256, minimum resolution on all the "settings". I did a bunch of tests with only changing combinations of pixel density and supersampling(Steam was indicating a recommendation of 118% supersampling based on system settings, but I allowed it to use its auto supersampling on the lower frames).

Is this similar to what you are getting for DDI image sharpness with your system? With my updated settings, the displays are now usable with a modest lean forward and very good image quality with a large lean forward.

It is noteworthy that I mentioned that I am not getting a 2d monitor-like sharpness display in VR.

In the pictures posted after updated setting, it looks better than your first post

Yes, for me, in default field of view, image on the display looks just a tiny bit blurry but it does not prevent me from making out what the letters are. Zooming in close gives a very sharp image that is similar to monitor view.

As Nodak suggested, you could play with the ipd settings to enlarge the cockpit and see but I would like to note that for me setting the ipd low made me feel dizzy. I feel much more comfortable setting the dcs ipd close to my natural ipd I set in the Hmd thereby getting a close to 1:1 cockpit scale.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Thanks for that suggestion to force IPD down slightly, Eaglewings & Nodak. It didn't work to sharpen the displays (unless I went to an unrealistically low setting), but forcing the IPD down a couple units made a really nice difference with viewing the side panels- perhaps because my IPD is somewhat on the high side to begin with(which is why I chose the Odyssey Plus HMD).

At least in my case, modestly going beyond PD at 1.4 and SS at 130% did not yield noticeable improvements, but perhaps this is in "splitting hairs" territory now, so I don't know... FWIW the DDI contrast knobs spin, but I don't know if they do anything with the rendering logic.

one possible solution will be if ED increases the resolution of the target texture for the DDI, in this way we will have the same effect as a hight Pixel Density option but only for the DDIs without drops the fps performance;)

I think this is a great idea!

Don't really have any issues reading the DDI's on the Hornet (CV1 user). The AMPCD however, is pretty ridiculous with the "MAP" displayed on either the HSI / SA Page. Other than that, no issues here personally.

Cockpit Res Displays set at 1024, textures set to high, PD 1.5.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I have no issue reading anything in the Hornet Pit.

What do you have your settings on then? I'm with the others here. Most of its workable, but not super clear. The MPCD TSD in particular is really hard to read without almost pressing your face to the virtual display.

I'm using a Vive Pro and have the cockpit set to 1024 every frame.

It's interesting, I find the A-10C displays and cockpit a bit easier to see fine details. Not a huge difference, but just enough to see a slight difference.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

What do you have your settings on then? I'm with the others here. Most of its workable, but not super clear. The MPCD TSD in particular is really hard to read without almost pressing your face to the virtual display.

I'm using a Vive Pro and have the cockpit set to 1024 every frame.

It's interesting, I find the A-10C displays and cockpit a bit easier to see fine details. Not a huge difference, but just enough to see a slight difference.

First one, make sure that the headset is oriented properly on your head (seems like it is since the A10C is more clear for you, but a slight difference up or down can make the world to clarity in a VR headset - at least the Oculus).

Second one, for me personally the AMPCD is unusable with the map displayed on either the HSI or the SA page - unless I turn the brightness way way down when it is in daytime mode. Nighttime mode is readable with the map displayed, but only at night which makes sense. And it is borderline unclear at that.

Third one, I have found that changing the seat height in the aircraft makes a noticeable difference on the clarity of the screens, which makes me wonder if there isn't an issue with how the image is being displayed on the Hornet screen (i.e. maybe it is being written/coded/displayed on the outer glass of the DDI/AMPCD rather than the actual screen of said component - which would lead to curvature vulnerabilities, etc. etc.)

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

First one, make sure that the headset is oriented properly on your head (seems like it is since the A10C is more clear for you, but a slight difference up or down can make the world to clarity in a VR headset - at least the Oculus).

Second one, for me personally the AMPCD is unusable with the map displayed on either the HSI or the SA page - unless I turn the brightness way way down when it is in daytime mode. Nighttime mode is readable with the map displayed, but only at night which makes sense. And it is borderline unclear at that.

Third one, I have found that changing the seat height in the aircraft makes a noticeable difference on the clarity of the screens, which makes me wonder if there isn't an issue with how the image is being displayed on the Hornet screen (i.e. maybe it is being written/coded/displayed on the outer glass of the DDI/AMPCD rather than the actual screen of said component - which would lead to curvature vulnerabilities, etc. etc.)

Cheers,

Don

Thanks Don. Yeah I try to be pretty pedantic about adjusting the Goggles to make sure they are the most clear.

Great idea on the AMPCD brightness. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. Its what I would have done in the real jet. :doh:

Finally, I try to be really specific about adjusting the seat height. In the Hornet, it's fairly easy to set and I can get a good view of the HUD at the correct eye height and all works well. But the A-10C is driving me absolutely mad. Maybe I'm just not used to that particular style of HUD, but is seems no matter what height I set the seat, either high, low or everywhere in between -I can't see all the symbology very well. Either the Top is cut off or the bottom is cut off at what I would consider a normal distance away from the instrument panel. About the only way I can see ALL of the HUD is to scooch my seat forward until I'm practically up against the instrument panel. It works, but turning around to reach anything on the left and right panels is practically impossible because they are well behind the seat at that point. Not sure if that makes sense. But it feels like I'm well forward of where the seat would be IRL to be able to see whole HUD. Anyone else have this issue?

I currently have "Force IPD" unchecked in the VR settings. I wonder if checking that would help?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Thanks Don. Yeah I try to be pretty pedantic about adjusting the Goggles to make sure they are the most clear.

Great idea on the AMPCD brightness. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. Its what I would have done in the real jet. :doh:

Finally, I try to be really specific about adjusting the seat height. In the Hornet, it's fairly easy to set and I can get a good view of the HUD at the correct eye height and all works well. But the A-10C is driving me absolutely mad. Maybe I'm just not used to that particular style of HUD, but is seems no matter what height I set the seat, either high, low or everywhere in between -I can't see all the symbology very well. Either the Top is cut off or the bottom is cut off at what I would consider a normal distance away from the instrument panel. About the only way I can see ALL of the HUD is to scooch my seat forward until I'm practically up against the instrument panel. It works, but turning around to reach anything on the left and right panels is practically impossible because they are well behind the seat at that point. Not sure if that makes sense. But it feels like I'm well forward of where the seat would be IRL to be able to see whole HUD. Anyone else have this issue?

I currently have "Force IPD" unchecked in the VR settings. I wonder if checking that would help?

Yeah, amazing how many tactics and function of systems from the real air frame transfer into DCS - but suppose that it what they are going for.

In terms of the A10C - you are not alone with the HUD visibility / full view issue. Always was an issue for me, haven't flown her in quite some time since the release of the Hornet. Just flew a quick mission in the A10C and the HUD visibility completeness issue is still present, at least for me. Wouldn't be surprised if the incoming updates that have been announced for the A10C will have an opportunity to fix this, among other issues. But that is just a thought of mine, not anything confirmed or announced from ED or their affiliates.

EDIT: My IPD is 67 in the real world, and have my Oculus set to 67, as well as DCS' IPD set to 67. Would be worth trying to set all to your real life IPD in my opinion.

Cheers,

Don

There is also a mod for the DDI's that lets you change the thickness and fuzzyness of lines.

I was using it with a CV1, and I think unless DCS overwrote it I'm still using those settings with my Reverb, but I have no issues reading anything.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).