Chuck's Guides - DCS Tutorial Library

Charly_Owl

Updaded Hornet guide on 26/08/2019:

• Updated Sensors Section with LITENING II Targeting Pod
  • Added AGM-65E Maverick, AGM-84D Harpoon (BOL & R/BL), GPS-Guided Ordnance (Targeting Pod) and GBU-12 (Laser-Guided) Tutorials
  • Updated IFF & Datalink Section
  • Added hyperlinks in Table of Contents
  • Fixed Typos

Many people asked me for tutorials about certain aspects of DCS. Here are a couple of guides I made.

"...a couple of guides..." :music_whistling:

I just wanted to chime in as one of the many that cherish your efforts in creating and maintaining all these wonderful guides. I only have had the time to deep-dive the manuals on a couple of these deeply detailed modules, but your graphical representations and ease of reference format allow me to enjoy the rest of my virtual hangar.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

• Added AGM-65E Maverick, AGM-84D Harpoon (BOL & R/BL), GPS-Guided Ordnance (Targeting Pod) and GBU-12 (Laser-Guided) Tutorials
  • Fixed Typos

Merci Chuck !

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

Thanks Chuck, your guides make DCS so much more accessible. With the large number of modules available, it's easy to forget how to use a particular system, and it's great to have a collection of guides with consistent layout and style.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

• Fixed Typos

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Lock-On Greece / DCS World Greece http://lockon-greece.forumotion.net/

🇬🇷 1st Hellinic Virtual Squadron for Flaming Cliffs & DCS World
~ Flying since 2008 ~

Hornet and Tomcat guides now updated with Bookmarks for easier navigation through the pdf. Enjoy!

I plan to add more bookmarks for other guides but I'll do it progressively since they need to be entered manually.

Edited by Charly_Owl

Translation guides in italian

21/07/2019: Updated Hornet Guide with the following:

• Updated Start-Up Procedure
  • Added IFF & Datalink Section
  • Added AGM-65F Maverick
  • Added AGM-88C HARM (TOO & SP)
  • Added GBU-38 JDAM (Pre-Planned)
  • Added AGM-154 JSOW (TOO
  • Added AIM-9X (JHMCS)
  • Added AIM-120
  • Re-wrote Sensors Section & Updated Radar Modes
  • Added FPAS page description

Overall, some pretty significant changes... the page count went from 202 to 286 pages.

Hi Charly,

many thanks for your wonderful guides.

I would like to translate the Hornet into Italian and I would like to ask you for permission. I read another similar request on the forum, but without an answer.

Thanks again

Hello Carlo

Chuck on page 131 of the "DCS-C-101CC-Guide.pdf" last updated 18/03/2019 your URL is incorrect for the navigation chapter of the pilot handbook. I have provided the correct link below.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/18_phak_ch16.pdf

I am learning to fly and to see you reference the FAA guide has blown my mind and brought this home! Thank you!

Chuck on page 131 of the "DCS-C-101CC-Guide.pdf" last updated 18/03/2019 your URL is incorrect for the navigation chapter of the pilot handbook. I have provided the correct link below.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/phak/media/18_phak_ch16.pdf

I am learning to fly and to see you reference the FAA guide has blown my mind and brought this home! Thank you!

All good now, thanks for the heads up. I haven't changed the rev date due to the change being minor, but the fix is still in.

Also: I have now gone through the (quite painful) process of migrating all my DCS guides to a newer, standardized and a slightly more printer-friendly format. Revision dates are unchanged, but you should see the difference right away.

Rejoice, the black-bar-of-ink-cartridge-death is now gone!

All good now, thanks for the heads up. I haven't changed the rev date due to the change being minor, but the fix is still in.

Also: I have now gone through the (quite painful) process of migrating all my DCS guides to a newer, standardized and a slightly more printer-friendly format. Revision dates are unchanged, but you should see the difference right away.

Rejoice, the black-bar-of-ink-cartridge-death is now gone!

:thumbup:

Thanks so very much for all you do !!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Updated Mirage 2000C guide on 6/09/2019 with the following:

• Added bookmarks
  • Updated HOTAS Controls to reflect MLO (Mid-Life Overhaul) terminology
  • Re-wrote Air-to-Ground Weapon tutorials with new MLO Weapons System CMD switch logic (previously known as Special Mode switch)
  • Re-wrote takeoff section
  • Re-wrote landing section
  • Added NVG employment slide
  • Updated radar section
  • Updated Magic II tutorial symbology
  • Added BLG-66 Belouga Tutorial
  • Re-wrote ILS Landing tutorial
  • Included clearer UNI images

Please take note that the F-86F Sabre, A-10C Warthog and UH-1H Huey guides also have bookmarks now, alongside the Mirage 2000C, F/A-18C Hornet and F-14B Tomcat.

Edited by Charly_Owl

Hey Chuck,

Can you check something for me?

In the Hornet, using your guide to cold start on the Carrier.

Step 18:

Does not appear to be happening for me, no voice alerts or warning or deedle deedle sounds.

Unless - I turn off battery and turn back on - which then I will get those warnings along with the BIT. I have done it about 4-5 times now being careful to make sure I do not miss a previous step, but I may still be missing something?

Thanks for any feedback,

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Could you please perform this test on the ground as well and let me know if you have the same result?

Sure will, heading out for a while will check it later this afternoon and advise.

Thanks,

Don B

Could you please perform this test on the ground as well and let me know if you have the same result?

Ok did same test on ground, with same results.

If it means anything, in the standby caution panel " Gen Tie" is displayed, along with "Left Gen".

I assume Left Gen as that side has not been started yet, not sure on the Gen Tie?

Don B

Chuck, never mind think I figured it out. I think it had to do in how I was turning Batt switch on.

I took my time and saw it said to right click, which I did and everything worked as should. Bit test started no problem. Previously I think I was left clicking and then like oh no, got to go the other way. That apparently was messing me up.

All good now!

Don B

Chuck, never mind think I figured it out. I think it had to do in how I was turning Batt switch on.

I took my time and saw it said to right click, which I did and everything worked as should. Bit test started no problem. Previously I think I was left clicking and then like oh no, got to go the other way. That apparently was messing me up.

All good now!

Well I thought that was it, apparently not.

I am still getting this quite often, Gen Tie message and having to turn batt off and on to get it to work. Does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it happening or not.

Beginning to think this is a bug in DCS.

Edit: Just to update on this, turns out it was user error on my part. I was not engaging the parking brake properly.

Caused all sorts of problems - duh.

All good now.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Is anyone else having trouble printing the f18 guide?

I print it in a booklet format to fit my a5 folders but the guide doesn't print the first and last page on the same a4 page as it prints the last page 3 or 4 pages in which throws out all the following pages. this is the first time I have had a problem printing the guides like this. the f14 guide worked like a charm.

Thanks for the guides as I would be no where with out them!

Is anyone else having trouble printing the f18 guide?

I print it in a booklet format to fit my a5 folders but the guide doesn't print the first and last page on the same a4 page as it prints the last page 3 or 4 pages in which throws out all the following pages. this is the first time I have had a problem printing the guides like this. the f14 guide worked like a charm.

Thanks for the guides as I would be no where with out them!

Are your printer drivers up to date?

• 3 weeks later...

Updated Harrier guide on 29/09/2019:

• Updated Cockpit Description section
  • Added Bullseye information
  • Updated TACAN tutorial
  • Expanded Navigation section with different Steerpoint types (Waypoint, Mark Point, Target Point)
  • Added Radalt (BOMB), GPS and PUC (Pull-Up Cue) functions for bombing
  • Re-formatted the Weapons Tutorial Section
  • Updated CCIP bomb release tutorial
  • Added GPWS explanations
  • Updated Takeoff section
  • Updated Landing section
  • Added UFC ALT functions
  • Added UFC WPN functions
  • Added Chaff & Flare release program tutorial
  • Added VREST page functions for takeoff tutorials

Great guides Chuck!

I found a small typo in the F/A-18C guide latest version (31/08/2019)

- pg. 224 when talking about HARM TOO mode it references bringing up the MAV page - Might confuse some newbies.

Thanks again for your endless hard work!

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB