Chuck's DCS: F/A-18C Guide

Charly_Owl

Fantastic!

Thanks Chuck, you're the man :thumbup:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

Thanks Chuck...I printed it out so I could study anywhere. My plan is when you release updates when the new ground attack systems come online I'll just reprint those chapters :smilewink:

Why not just download it to your Ipad?

EVGA 2080TI FTW3 ULTRA - 99000k - 32gb 3200 14-14-14-34 - ASROK Phantom 9 - EVGA 1300W - 970 EVO Plus 1TB [X2] - Noctua D15 - Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 [X8] - Asus PG349q 34" 3440 x 1440 @120hz - Oculus S - EVGA D87 Case

Thanks Chuck!

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

Great, now I have some light reading material for those downtimes at work.

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

Why not just download it to your Ipad?

Guess I could but I like a printed manual so I can make notes and highlight stuff...time to admit I'm just old school :book:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

PART 2 – CONTROLS SETUP

PART 4 – START-UP PROCEDURE

PART 8 – FLIGHT & AERODYNAMICS

PART 9 – RADAR & SENSORS

PART 10 – OFFENCE: WEAPONS & ARMAMENT

PART 11 – DEFENCE: RWR & COUNTERMEASURES

PART 12 – DATALINK & IFF

Thank you very much!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

S.O: Win 64bit

MB: ASUSTek TUF GAMING X570P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8 Core

GPU: nVidia GTX1080Ti 8GB

HD: Sabrent SSD 1TB

RAM: DDR4 32 GB 1600Mhz

Accessories: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Alim: 850 watt Corsair 850TXEU

• 4 weeks later...

Updaded Hornet guide on 26/08/2019:

• Updated Sensors Section with LITENING II Targeting Pod
  • Added AGM-65E Maverick, AGM-84D Harpoon (BOL & R/BL), GPS-Guided Ordnance (Targeting Pod) and GBU-12 (Laser-Guided) Tutorials
  • Updated IFF & Datalink Section
  • Added hyperlinks in Table of Contents
  • Fixed Typos

That's absolutly awesome. Thank you so much Chuck.

The Tornado is being developed by as many people as the Tornado Development Team contains. It progresses rapidly with the speed of the Tornado development progress. It will be released at the Tornado release date. 

Support your local Getränkemarkt. :grin:

Updaded Hornet guide on 26/08/2019:

• Updated Sensors Section with LITENING II Targeting Pod
  • Added AGM-65E Maverick, AGM-84D Harpoon (BOL & R/BL), GPS-Guided Ordnance (Targeting Pod) and GBU-12 (Laser-Guided) Tutorials
  • Updated IFF & Datalink Section
  • Added hyperlinks in Table of Contents
  • Fixed Typos

Great Chuck! Could you please tell us what chapters were updated by the first 4 changes (I don't need to reprint the chapters with typo corrections).

Thanks Chuck :thumbup:

Thanks Chuck :thumbup:

I realize this is just a ditto post, but without your guides I would not be the fanatical flight simmer I am now. I have written technical manuals and I know how tough it is to do them right. You need an award for the amount and quality of your work!

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

Hello,

can you please help me?

I'm new in the DCS business.

I want to buy a American fighter, so the F14 or F18.

Is there an carrier included in the F14 product package?

And has the F14 the vapor on the wings like the F18?

And which Flys better and which is easier to learn?

I hope I'm in the right threat, if not, sorry for that.

Thank you very much.

Greetings, Steinbauer.

You are not the first person to ask, don't worry.

First, there is a carrier included in the base game both for the Hornet and the Tomcat; the CVN-74 John C. Stennis. Wing vapor effects are modelled slightly differently in the Tomcat vs the Hornet because the

has LEX (Leading Edge Extensions) while the
does not have them. However, both aircraft have wingtip vortices as well.

In terms of flying better, there is no answer for that. Both aircraft have great flight models but fly differently. The Hornet has Fly-by-Wire (pilot input is interpreted by a controller, which translates these commands directly to the flight controls themselves) while the Tomcat has hydraulically powered flight control surfaces without FBW. This means that the Hornet is easier to fly by design, while the Tomcat can easily get you into unrecoverable spins if you are not careful with how you fly the aircraft. The Tomcat will force you to use your rudder, while the Hornet lets you get away with sloppier flying since the FBW will automatically help you to prevent the aircraft from going into these kind flat-spin-of-death of scenarios. Of course, the FBW cannot do everything for you, so you need to be careful as well. In my opinion, both aircraft are a lot of fun to fly because they both require you to develop different skill sets.

Regarding the ease of learn, I would say they are equivalent. The Tomcat has two cockpits, so you can potentially learn two complementary roles in the same aircraft. The F/A-18C, on the other hand, was built for a single pilot with more functionalities available at the tip of your fingers. In practice, the Hornet benefited from technological advances like digital displays while the Tomcat has a more analog cockpit with old school "steam" gauges. The Hornet has more toys to play with but the Tomcat still has a decent ordnance selection available with one of the most powerful radars ever designed.

IMHO there is no "better" plane. They are both fighter jets of their time, with the Tomcat being the pinnacle of the age of high-speed Interceptors and the Hornet being one of the most versatile multirole aircraft of its time.

LCDR Joe “Smokin” Ruzicka, who was the Radar Intercept Officer (RIO) who flew the last F-14 Demonstration before the Tomcat’s retirement in 2006, once said:

The better way to understand the differences between the F-14 and the F/A-18E/F is using the analogy of a muscle car to a mini-van, with the Tomcat being the former and the Super Hornet being the latter. The muscle car doesn’t have much to it in the way of fancy technology, just some raw speed and the coolness of a Steve McQueen movie, but it gets the job done. The mini-van on the other hand is a very nice car, complete with DVR’s for the kids, Air Conditioning, power windows, and lots of places to put your sippy cup. It’s a great car… but it’s still a mini-van. […] In the Tomcat, I think you had to be a better aviator because the technology just wasn’t there. It was up to the aircrew to maximize its performance (or minimize it if you sucked).

Edited by Charly_Owl

Thank you so much for your answer and your expertise.

It´s really hard. I think the F18 is possibly the best way to start because of the fly by wire system, but the F14 is soo damn cool.

I know that the F18 has got some great tutorials. Does the F14 got it, too?

Another point is that the F18 has got a german (I´m german, so its a little bit easier for me :D).

And another Question is: Are there (carrer-) missions in both packages? I really like carrier missions and tutorials.

I´m looking forward to your answer.