[NOT REALISTIC] AIM-7 Sparrows?

Nightstorm

So some of us are hoping that it's possible to mod them in. As whilst the USAF/ANG Block 50 does not use the AIM-7, other Viper blocks & operators certainly did and simulating other conflicts can be fun.

+1

I’d like to use it in an 80s Cold War setting, ie before Aim120s were introduced. Right now that means only sidewinders.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Adding it to the armaments is trivial, I already accomplished that. However, getting the avionics to work is currently beyond my understanding. I know the three lua files that control the AA missiles but I'm not sure how to add AIM-7 specific code, or if it's even possible to only do so via the LUA files. If anyone has any ideas in that regard feel free to share.

+1

I’d like to use it in an 80s Cold War setting, ie before Aim120s were introduced. Right now that means only sidewinders.

Which would have been realistic if not annoying for F-16 pilots back then. The vast majority of F-16s aren't equipped to fire the sparrow IRL thus prior to the inclusion of the AMRAAM most F-16s were sidewinder only.

Which would have been realistic if not annoying for F-16 pilots back then. The vast majority of F-16s aren't equipped to fire the sparrow IRL thus prior to the inclusion of the AMRAAM most F-16s were sidewinder only.

Which if you factor in the Pk of a sidewinder from that era (all-aspect AIM-9L or M) vs an AIM-7 (such as seen in the Gulf war) you probably aren’t missing a lot, particularly fulfilling a light day fighter role.

+1

Realistically you would use Sidewinders only in such a scenario, as that was what the vast majority of Vipers carried in those days. Only a a special Air Defense Variant (ADF) of the Viper, produced exclusively for the Air National Guard, was Sparrow capable in US service and there weren't many around of them. The actual USAF never had Sparrows on the Viper. The F-16 was originally designed as a cheap light weight dog fighter, similar to the F-5 Tiger II, that could be build in huge quantities to increase the numbers of fighter jets in addition to the expensive but highly capable F-15 air superior fighter.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Chaps, thanks for that. Hadn’t realised that it was common to use only sidewinders.

Problem solved.

These forums can be awesome at times.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Realistically you would use Sidewinders only in such a scenario, as that was what the vast majority of Vipers carried in those days. Only a a special Air Defense Variant (ADF) of the Viper, produced exclusively for the Air National Guard, was Sparrow capable in US service and there weren't many around of them. The actual USAF never had Sparrows on the Viper. The F-16 was originally designed as a cheap light weight dog fighter, similar to the F-5 Tiger II, that could be build in huge quantities to increase the numbers of fighter jets in addition to the expensive but highly capable F-15 air superior fighter.

lets be honest this is not the case by the time of the F16C. ITs a full on mulirole fighter that took advantage of further improved avionics technologies, and cockpit design philosophies ( glass cockpit) . Even prior to the the F16A was no longer a pure lightweight fighter, as it already had fighter bomber capabilites, and already built a reputation for that role before defintive mulitrole F16C came about , following the path of the Hornet which paved the way and set the standard for such new cockpit design.

Reality is what an aircraft is originally designed for doesn't always translate to being used for purely just that role ( or at all) when the final product emerges into operational service. The F16A was supposed to be a day only fighter but that was nothing more than a dream of the fighter mafia forced down USAF throats. That dream of which in thier eyes was already perverted when General Dynamics made changes at behest of the USAF to their actual needs which was to include more than 2 IR missiles, a on board multi mode radar , and A/G ordinance carry capability. Further evolution to the F16C ultimately was much closer representation of what the USAF probably would have wanted from the get go if not for the FM influence.

With regards to BVR radar guided missiles, this is where USAF was simply short sighted in betting all their chips in the Aim120 Program and not even willing to include Aim7 as an interim solution,where iit wouldn't have been much effort to add such capability as an option even if it were never to be utilized as BVR fighter. At a time when the Navy had the F14, they didnt shy away from allowing the capability for FOX 2 missiles on their Hornet, a multirole fighter, that too was used far more for A/G than A2A. IT too was the Cheaper alternative for the Navy relative to the tomcats #'s they could never afford. At least they were progressive enough to let that platform shine instead of withholding its true potential.

the F16C was advertised as adding BVR capability for the AMRAAM missile system from the get go. Yes it successful missile family today, but was vastly delayed as it would have been expected to put in the service within the 1980s, not the 90s.

Although this angle is speculative Not just my own considerations of such an angle but i have heard a handfull others like pilots and defense analysts also speculated there was a political angle. They USAF brass didnt want the F16 to compete too much with the F15. Civilian members of government IE Congress would question why the F15, over just buying more cheaper F16's with newly BVR capability, and then USAF would have have greater pains justifying such matter to civilians public servants, who many not share the same enthusiasm or understanding of military needs. Coincidence or not the AIm120 arrived for F16's after F15C's had finished production, which would no longer threaten thier sales.

USAF has been known to be even more effective at playing politics than winning air wars. In in the gulf war they played that game, setting it up that only F15's were allowed for CAP, and all other fighters were restricted from engaging any air threats unless it was self defence, including stealing the show from separate service, the USN from ever having thier tomcats get any \slice of airspace over exaggerating F14's "inferior" IFF capabilities as an excuse not to permit them to share CAP responsibilities thus resulting in the USAF eagles getting all the glory.

Because lets be honest F16 would have been fully capable of aggressively engaging most of the aircraft that the Iraq's had in their inventory. In the 1982 BekkA Air campaign Isreali F16A's ( fox 2 only) shot down more migs than F15's did with Fox 1 capabilities. Bt of course that would have detracted from helping further elevate the F15 into legend status as the best A2A platform in the USAF eyes, if the F16's had been in a position to take away some of those A2A kill.

[spoiler/]

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Of course the F-16 is a true multirole fighter for quite some time now, capable to fullfil a huge variety of tasks. I just said that this wasn't the case in the 80s as it was just a lightweight dogfighter at that time, whatever the reasons (politics, technology, fighter mafia, ...) for this have been.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg