Su-17M4 (SU-22) Full Fidelity Research for Dev Started

aw33com

Mobius, I honestly want to make this the most realistic module ever with a good flight model. That is my first goal, as that is what I enjoy the most in DCS. If I ever accomplish that, like it, people like it, and ED ever likes it, I will release it just like other modules. It would have to be really really good. So I'm can't say as of now until I finish it. I'm not even thinking about it yet. If I ever fail I will give it away to whoever wants it.

I'm doing the instrumentation and pitot heads now.

Not sure if this is not too much detail though. I think once I finish modeling this I will start all over and do it the right away as I will probably be smarter at the end of the process.

heads.png

These things take years, but it’s worth the wait. The mig-21 went through hell in development, but it finally got done. If it hadn’t I think DCS would have failed. So do your labor of love, take the time it takes, and know there are plenty of us that would love to fly this thing. But I for one would love to see more Cold War mud movers in the sim.

Small Update.

I am flying my model in DCS, but I hit tons of modeling problems. Setbacks, tons of research, and looking for solutions.

Big mistake I made was not to use the ED Model Viewer, or the DCS itself right from the start. Now I know what it actually looks like in the SIM and what I need to work on. I have one major modeling problem and kind of have no solution for it.

But there are also good news. Tons of details, which btw got me in trouble, does look good in DCS. Other modules do not model flanges and small details (they paint them). I did that and I noticed it shows up nicely in DCS and gives a real feel to it. I will leave you with few pictures today and I will do a write up on the problems I'm facing and some approaches I'm taking.

I swear If I talked to someone for 10 minutes who has done a module for DCS, I would be done with mine. I am basically fighting the modeling tool and improvising, because I simply don't know better. I'll get there, but it feels like I'm doing this with an ax, and it takes so long.

fly.png

Here I'm using SU-25T cockpit:

cock.png

@aw33com,

Just in case, the PVD-18 is 4.458cm in diameter, and 67.5cm long.

That's the device on the end of the data boom with vanes.

unknown.png

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Thanks for kind words.

I am looking for a good close up side picture of the ASO-2V Decoy Dispenser. The one that is most forward by the anti collision light. If anyone has it by a chance.

Can't find a single good pic online to see the exact details.

Thank you for the picture. You have no idea how close up pictures help in modeling.

You will call me crazy I started to reconstruct the parts:

decoy.png

Maybe this will never work, but I don't want the parts to be painted. I want them to be real.

Glad the photo came in handy. Please note that the distance between the holes at the ends is different. Immediately striking.

=TMS=220=MadDog

i7-8700K 4.8GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080 OC, Benq 2560x1440@60 32", VirPil Throttle&Stick

Glad the photo came in handy. Please note that the distance between the holes at the ends is different. Immediately striking.

You are right, I have different distance, but either not enough or showing the part from this angle changes everything.

And without full measurements it will never be perfect. I would need Su-17 in my backyard to get it right. The plans for this aircraft (all for this and other aircraft) are so eyeballed and off on the small parts. Nothing ads up to be honest, so I watch the real pictures and adjust.

This 3D stuff and computing is a bit stuck in the 90's.

Edited by aw33com

I don'know....Maybe this thread could become the ultimate build thread of a simulator aircraft.

haha, I'm really enjoying reading updates. Every now and then I'll come back to check if anything new has been posted.

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Rounded irregular parts are difficult to create. It takes more art than science, and I'm not an artistic person at all. For those rounded parts I will probably eventually contract someone to create them. There is few of them around lights, M4 RWR front, canopy itself, or maybe even fuselage sections. Time consuming and kind of a blind date to adjust those.

roudner.png