HARM TOO mode

ebabil

I just watched the Wag's latest harm video in mini update thread.

I didin't see a range indicator, so i assume there is no range info in this mode either like SP mode

Also, it looks its seeker view is very limited. Because there was an additional sa6 on the right mfd and hud but seeker didin't see it untill he turned the aircraft to right.

So, is there any advantages in this mode over the SP mode? Why do i use it instead easy pizzy SP mode?

Any thoughts?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

1- Later, we will add the TOO TD box to the HUD.

2- In addition to the line above the emitter that indicates the radar is locking you, an F indicates it is a friendly emitter and a “U” shape indicates a naval emitter.

3- When enabled, LIMIT only shows the 5 highest priority emitters. Otherwise, up to 15 emitters can be displayed.

4- Like SP mode, there is no range indication.

5- Once TOO mode is done, we will implement Pre-Briefed and Pull-Back modes.

6- Once HARM is done, then we will focus on the targeting pod.

7- Yes, I’m still sick and hopped up on cold medicine.

;)

What is the benefit of using TOO instead of SP-Mode?

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

What is the benefit of using TOO instead of SP-Mode?

this is what i am asking

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Easier to sort out targets close to each other and better situation awareness, especially after we get indicators on the HUD that Wags mentioned in the video.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

you are shooting at a steerpoint, the ranging information can be gained by using the steerpoint.

it's a suppression mode, you can fire without being spiked, so you can keep HARMs in the air headed towards likely SAM sites while your friends ingress.

the objective is to keep a HARM 10~ seconds from impact against the SAM at all times, so if he snaps on to shoot your strikers he will blow up before his missile is capable of hitting anything. technically you can use it against popups as long as you are willing to make a steerpoint first.

the first mode that was introduced was a snapshot self-defense mode, this one is a suppression mode.

you are shooting at a steerpoint, the ranging information can be gained by using the steerpoint.

No... I'm fairly sure that's PB mode, not TOO. There are no waypoints involved here and no range information whatsoever.

Nobody has actually answered the question yet, and frankly, I have no idea what the practical difference between the two modes would be either.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

No... I'm fairly sure that's PB mode, not TOO. There are no waypoints involved here and no range information whatsoever.

Nobody has actually answered the question yet, and frankly, I have no idea what the practical difference between the two modes would be either.

i am pretty sure that TOO is hornet phraseology for PB/EOM (falcon terms)

80~% sure.

• ED Team

it's a suppression mode, you can fire without being spiked, so you can keep HARMs in the air headed towards likely SAM sites while your friends ingress.

the objective is to keep a HARM 10~ seconds from impact against the SAM at all times, so if he snaps on to shoot your strikers he will blow up before his missile is capable of hitting anything. technically you can use it against popups as long as you are willing to make a steerpoint first.

the first mode that was introduced was a snapshot self-defense mode, this one is a suppression mode.

No, you are not shooting at a steerpoint. All targeting is derived from the HARM seeker. You are probably confusing this with Pre-Briefed (PB) mode.

HARM will NOT ever give range info! There is no way it can determine that, it is has a bearing only detector. If you want to get as estimate of distance, turn to put the site on wingtip and see how fast the bearing change. faster change closer range. Could also be used with A2G radar(when we get it)!

With some creativity, you could get a range estimate through TOO mode if you are at high altitude and have good visibility. Although it hasn't been programmed yet, there will be an indication on the HUD of where the emitter is. You could then designate a ground target using the hud at the same spot and get a rough estimate of range.

And as cofcorpse pointed out, one of the primary advantages is being able to pick out an individual target out of many on a particular bearing. You can also get some information on where the emitter is beyond a simple bearing.

It would be great if others could refrain from cluttering up the thread with misinformation.

The main problem I see with using SP mode is that when you have lots of emitters on the RWR, you will have a hard time cycling through all those to select your intended target. That's where TOO allows you to better point at and possibly discriminate between emmiters. SP mode is better in reaction to a launch (as the culprit would be selected automatically and your HARM fall back in SP mode - if you haven't deselected HARM Override) ; that is my understanding at least.

Also, a thorough briefing should give you a good idea about the whereabouts of a number of SAM systems, so that's one way to estimate range.

Also you can see in the video that TOO has a different flight profile, you can see it lofts much more agressively, not sure how that will affect the ranges, pretty sure I was an image with different flight profiles for the harm somewhere

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

HARM will NOT ever give range info! There is no way it can determine that, it is has a bearing only detector.

By flying level, a F-4E pilot firing a AGM-45 Shrike could use the DF seeker head's pitch to get range information.

"The aircraft height above target and missile depression angle are sufficient trigonometric information for the DMAS to compute a horizontal range to target."

"NOTE ... A valid target designation can only be made if the displayed range is less than 40 NM."

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The main difference I believe between the modes (mostly derived from my ages-ago time in Jane's F/A-18 ) is this:

PB: This is set to a DMPI target, that is, it is a fixed target from intel that is PreBriefed into the aircraft computers so the HARM can just go after that target when in PB mode.

SP: Self-protect mode automatically targets the most lethal target that is targeting you. Cycling the targets goes through the less lethal threat, then the less one, and so forth

TOO: Target of Opportunity mode allows you to select any emitting target to fire upon, regardless of whether it is targeting/shooting at you or not.

So the real difference between TOO and SP is that in SP mode the HARM defaults to the target attacking you on the fly whereas in TOO mode you have the freedom of choosing what target you want to attack.

Practical application: You are flying toward a target that you want to bomb. You have the HARM set to SP mode. While setting up your bomb run, an SA-6 targets you. The HARM automatically looks at that SA-6, and you fire. The SA-6 is dead, and you are in range of the target. You complete your run and hopefully bombed the target, and you egress. On your way back to base/boat, you notice a TS hit on your RWR that wasn't in the briefing and that may clue off its comrades to the incoming friendlies. Nothing has been locked onto you. So you switch to TOO mode, get it in the HARM view, and cycle it until it is selected. You fire the HARM, and it kills the TS site, and you continue on your way knowing the coalition's ingress will be further masked from the enemy thanks to your HARM.

Then you go home and celebrate with Penny Benjamin.

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

The main difference I believe between the modes (mostly derived from my ages-ago time in Jane's F/A-18 ) is this:

PB: This is set to a DMPI target, that is, it is a fixed target from intel that is PreBriefed into the aircraft computers so the HARM can just go after that target when in PB mode.

SP: Self-protect mode automatically targets the most lethal target that is targeting you. Cycling the targets goes through the less lethal threat, then the less one, and so forth

TOO: Target of Opportunity mode allows you to select any emitting target to fire upon, regardless of whether it is targeting/shooting at you or not.

So the real difference between TOO and SP is that in SP mode the HARM defaults to the target attacking you on the fly whereas in TOO mode you have the freedom of choosing what target you want to attack.

Practical application: You are flying toward a target that you want to bomb. You have the HARM set to SP mode. While setting up your bomb run, an SA-6 targets you. The HARM automatically looks at that SA-6, and you fire. The SA-6 is dead, and you are in range of the target. You complete your run and hopefully bombed the target, and you egress. On your way back to base/boat, you notice a TS hit on your RWR that wasn't in the briefing and that may clue off its comrades to the incoming friendlies. Nothing has been locked onto you. So you switch to TOO mode, get it in the HARM view, and cycle it until it is selected. You fire the HARM, and it kills the TS site, and you continue on your way knowing the coalition's ingress will be further masked from the enemy thanks to your HARM.

Then you go home and celebrate with Penny Benjamin.

v6,

boNes

This TOO mode will be used mostly likely as we already use SP mode.

You don't have to be "spiked" to fire the weapon in "SP" mode like a lot of people think. we run people into the TA sometime ahaed of guys with the harm and let them Wild Wiesel . Second flight with the HARM, pick the nail up and fire harm without any spike. You can fire at a BigBird 70 miles out and never get a spike, just the nail.

As long as you're being painted you can find the target. looks like in "TOO" the radar will have to be emitting as well. but may gave you a better visual representation of what its radar seeker is looking at. very similar to PB currently in the "game".:lol:

104cdt_SharKen

Catch my streams on Twitch:

• ED Team

The advantages of TOO over SP:

1- When TD box is available, a better indication of emmitter line of sight through HUD

2- Better filtering

3- Can display more emmitters

Just a different tool in the HARM box. If SP works better for you, go for it.