Skinners: Let's pool our efforts

Home Fries

First, let me say thank you to RAZBAM for the quickest release of a template I can recall. Not only that, but the templates are outstanding and well organized.

However, missing from the paint kit are many of the individual markings associated with the aircraft. I have taken it upon myself to duplicate the markings on all 3 templates and create layers that can be re-shaped, re-colored, and independently customized.

I know that there are people out there who want to do camouflage patterns, different nationalities, etc. I say we should use this thread to identify what we want to ultimately accomplish, and then divide the work and then post links to the layer files so we can integrate them into our existing templates as we choose.

Like I said, I'm taking care of the markings. I know how the USN and USMC mark aircraft, so this makes sense. I would love to see a two -tone wraparound camo or 3-tone camo (non-wrapping) for the Harrier, perhaps even to do some of the classic 1980s USMC paintschemes. Wouldn't mind seeing proper UK roundels either (along with proper placement).

Who wants something out of this, and who wants to take on which responsibility? Let's combine our efforts and make some awesome skins!

EDIT: Here are the markings for the USMC (based on an existing default skin) with official federal standard colors. You will need the USN_Stencil font (also included in the package), though this can be substituted with the official payware Long Beach font as well.

Edited by Home Fries
  • Like 4

here's the link to my camo RAF / FAA colour codes in RGB and other RGB codes as well. >

Clicky Linky

Danger Eject V1

Danger Eject V2

Rescue V1

Rescue V2

Rescue V3

Colour Ref chart link >> http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_humbrol.htm

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

I'm really poor at Photoshop, so cant really help with this Project ... just wanted to thank you in advance for your efforts and express my appreciation ... thanks a lot, really :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

As I mentioned in the other thread, I have a number of RAF/RN decal application sheets from scale models - I can easily pass them on to anyone who required them (scanned).

I'll dig them out and see exactly what's there, but they are all for GR3, GR7, FRS 1 (SHAR) and FA2 plus one each of the first ever and last ever Harriers in UK service (GR1 and GR9a respectively).

So they would be fictional, but better than nowt :)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

OK - scanned them anyway - archive attached.

You have colour drawings of:

GR.1 OCU Dunsfold (First operational Harrier)

GR.7:

4sqn 1993/4

20sqn 1992

AWC 1994

4sqn Op Warden 1995 (2 different)

1sqn 1999

3sqn 1999

4sqn 1999

20sqn 1999

20sqn display scheme 2001

SAOEU 1999

4sqn Display scheme 2002

3sqn Anniversary scheme 2002

GR.9 1sqn 2010 (last Harrier)

also 7 RN schemes for the FRS2/FA2

FRS.1 1982 Falklands scheme

FRS.1 Indian Navy

plus black & white of GR.3 of 1417 Flt Belize and 233OCU RAF Wittering.

They are all medium res scans - if anyone would like larger res doing give a shout. Also I can do a scan of the stencil placement drawings if needed.

pw for this archive is:

ontheraz

please don't upload these anywhere else.

Have fun.

Edited by Brixmis
7zip not allowed!

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

@Gimp users.

I got something where I might be able to work with. Keep in mind. I'm a absolute noob regarding skinning. I just know how to change an entire colour or add my squadron decals :-)

What I did:

1. Downloaded the PS test version

2. Merged all unimportant groups-> Dirt (multiply), wheel rim...

3. the two layer groups for the day/night skins are the most important ones.

4. PS can handle layer masks for a group, gimp not, what I did, duplicated the layer group mask and added them to all layers.

5. I merged the Paint base colour to a simple layer with the correct colour(I hope)...

I think it might be enough for all groups with layer masks to add the mask to all layers INSIDE the group... However, I got some strange effects with the dirt layer...

@All

Does maybe someone already duplicated the 214 livery? Or at least the base painting? I would like to start with this for my squadron...

I'm also interested in a camo pattern...

Update for Gimp users: It seems the colours/highlight layers are 'wrong' as well PS uses here linear dodge. It looks like Gimp does not have this feature...

Edited by f4l0

The marking layers have been uploaded and linked in the OP. Rather than make day/night layers, I left them as fonts and objects with the default color of Medium Gunship Grey (FS36118) in most cases. You can always rasterize the layers and merge them if you prefer, then apply the other master colors as necessary. This gives you the flexibility.

• Like 2

The marking layers have been uploaded and linked in the OP. Rather than make day/night layers, I left them as fonts and objects with the default color of Medium Gunship Grey (FS36118) in most cases. You can always rasterize the layers and merge them if you prefer, then apply the other master colors as necessary. This gives you the flexibility.

Thank you very much for the decals! I was able to built a suitable livery for my squadron!

Just a quickie

UHJhWuc.jpg

For those of us that done a RAF livery

Not sure if anyone has done done it or not.

Clicky Linky here you go, here's the PSD file.

{"Pilot_AV8B_gear", 0 ,name of the file you gave it",false};

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

I think that's the correct file.. ..

on ma mobile

EDIT: yes it is the correct file.

Edited by joey45

I want to try some of these out.

What's the correct AC name to create under Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\<???????????>

I tried AV8BNA as the folder name but putting skins in that isn't recognized.

ETA - it's working. I was selecting a country the skins weren't available in.

Edited by fargo007

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zco703q0ilucvyi/RAF_Decals.zip

Maybe useful for some of you making RAF skins, a small set of decals in .psd I had to make for my skins,

includes:

That Weird exhaust/blast warning on the top of the harrier between the wings

Danger Explosive Release (for Pylons)

RAF style NO STEP (basically a bootprint with an X)

Some mission markings (GBU + F-15)

A shark mouth and eye like those seen on some RAF GR7s on active duty.

You'll have to fit them yourselves, but you can recolour, rescale etc more easily in this format.