High IPD users with Index or Reverb

DavidE

I have a high measured IPD of 74 (36.5, 37.5), are there any users of the Reverb or the Index who have a similar IPD who have tried either set, either successfully or not.

Was looking at waiting to see the acer ojo specs as really wanted the reverb resolution but the rumour is it will not be available in Europe.

If similar IPD users have not been able to use the Reverb or Index then the Cosmos may be the fallback position.

Would be good to be able to try a headset out but not aware of any shops that have demonstration units in the UK. Does anyone know of any trade shows etc coming up in the UK where you are able to try different headsets?

At least I can't be accused of having my eyes too close together.

thanks

David

IIRC the widest IPD has the Odyssey+ with 72.

I'm fairly sure that none of the recent models (especially with software IPD) will suit you.

The software IPD of the Reverb currently does not work (hope HP will fix that one day) but the possible max value is far away from 74.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

Index’s max IPD is 70. However, at max setting you can still push the lens further apart quite a bit (held together by spring mechanism). People have been using foam insert to do this. I haven’t tried it myself since my IPD is 68 (it actually feels more comfy to me with IPD around 67).

Vive Pro’s max IPD is 73 if I remember correctly.

I wouldn’t go for headset with fixed IPD especially in your case.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 1 month later...
I have a high measured IPD of 74 (36.5, 37.5), are there any users of the Reverb or the Index who have a similar IPD who have tried either set, either successfully or not.

Was looking at waiting to see the acer ojo specs as really wanted the reverb resolution but the rumour is it will not be available in Europe.

If similar IPD users have not been able to use the Reverb or Index then the Cosmos may be the fallback position.

Would be good to be able to try a headset out but not aware of any shops that have demonstration units in the UK. Does anyone know of any trade shows etc coming up in the UK where you are able to try different headsets?

At least I can't be accused of having my eyes too close together.

thanks

David

Unfortunately seems that ojo will never be commercialized :(

I have an IPD of 72. I have the O+. I have to dial it in some from its maximum width setting. So it will definitely do 74.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Thanks for the comments, still sitting on the fence but the Cosmos is a definite a no go for me now. The index is looking the way to go at present, in particular it has a wide sweet spot which would help. I am also OK with the original rift which is about 71 IPD, have tried dialling that in a bit to about 68 - 69 and its still OK. I am very right eye dominant and that eye is more 72/2 and the left 74+/2, so that may make a difference.

A Half life 3 Christmas bundle would probably tip me over the fence, can only live in hope. Still a chance the ojo may turn up, but even that may have other issues.

Interesting that some users have chosen the index over the reverb, even with no IPD issues.

Maybe the Oculus Quest would be an option as well after release of Oculus link in November? Has a mechanical IPD adjustment between 58-72 and 74 for should work pretty good. From a clarity point of view it's slightly better than a Vive pro with lens mod if you use current PC-connection workarounds like RiftCat.

What I've heard so far from Oculus link the picture quality seems to be slightly above the Rift S but comfort might be an issue as the head strap is rather basic and the whole thing is a little bit front heavy.

Can't say anything about the Valve Index as it's not available in my country but considering the Reverb, Vive pro or Quest (have all three myself), in your case, I'd go with the Quest after release of Oculus link and confirmation that it works in DCS as well.

I've an IPD of 60 and total symmetric and from my experience with the Reverb (I'm on the lower end of the Range) I'm pretty sure you won't be happy as the sweet spot is really narrow and even I have to adjust the Headset quite properly to benefit from the clarity.

Overall I really love the clarity and close to invisible SDE of the Reverb but the handling (tweaking around, Windows Mixed Reakity, SteamVR, ) isn't a great experience and comparing the Vive pro with the Quest, I'd go for the Quest (once link is working) instead of the high priced Vive. Not sure if this helps you in your decision but loving the Reverb for myself I don't think you'd do

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

While it will be exciting to see how the new Link with Quest will work, I have strong doubts it will be able to handle a sim like DCS and provide a good experience. I have a Quest also and look forward to checking it out.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 6 months later...

Hi, I use the Oculus Quest and have an IPD of 71 (which you can select - max.72) and use the Quest with a link cable and it works well for DCS. If I slide the IPD down to about 68 the sweet spot is still big enough for a good experience and focus so I imagine that 74 would work fine if it was set to max. of 72.

My IPD is R 36.5 L 37.5, total 74, I pondered for a long time about IPD , decided to try the index as valve had a good returns policy, should not have worried, managed to get an index in the last release and absolutely no problems for me. If I wished I could probably get another 1 or 2 mm by using a spacer but have not found the need.

Did consider the Pimax but the returns issue and not being available via amazon in the UK at present pushed me to the index. Was a pure simmer until I got the index but since having get the full bundle, I have ventured into the dark side with, Alyx,beat saber, pavlov etc, VTOL is also good fun and while nothing like a sim, is still quite detailed.

Construction of the Index is very good. Also picked up some prescription inserts which has improved my effective resolution.

I did come from a CV1 and tried using that at about 65 which was OK which gave me the confidence to go ahead. Don't tend to get motion sick so may be different for you. Remember going mackerel fishing on a school holiday, whist all my class mates, accept one, were throwing up, me and my friend had a great time!

Hope this helps

David