Change Wording: "Set SPI Generator" instead of "Make SPI"

Yurgon

In the chapter that describes the Control Stick, the description "Make SPI" should be changed to read "Set SPI Generator" or just "Set SPI".

This can be found in the table:

[b]Target Management Switch (TMS)[/b]. Functions according to SOI include:

Forward Long: [u]Make SPI[/u] => [b]Set SPI Generator[/b]

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the chapter that describes the Control Stick, the description "Make SPI" should be changed to read "Set SPI Generator" or just "Set SPI".

This can be found in the table:

[b]Target Management Switch (TMS)[/b]. Functions according to SOI include:

Forward Long: [u]Make SPI[/u] => [b]Set SPI Generator[/b]

The manual is right. TMS Forward long sets the SPI . You use the Coolie hat to set SOI (SPI Generator).

Ok I re-read what you wrote. Whether its Make SPI or Set SPI is the same thing, it's saying whatever the SOI is, and where the cue is , make it SPI. (Sensor point of interest)

To call it " "Set SPI Generator" would be wrong because that is by definition SOI (sensor of interest) and that is done using the coolie hat.

Edited by Dagger71

The manual is right. TMS Forward long sets the SPI . You use the Coolie hat to set SOI (SPI Generator).
No, you don't.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

The number one mistake A10C pilots (I do it all the time) is while using a SOI (Maverick, TGP, HUD TAD) but the SPI was set by another sensor and trying to "slave all" to the point you are looking at in your SOI (say tgp).

Until you make a SPI with your current sensor, and override the previous SPI it will remain the previous SPI

There will always be only one designated SOI and one SPI (that might have been set by another SOI).

when you start your A10C in any mission

-the SOI will be the HUD and the SPI will be the steerpoint

-you can make another sensor as SOI

- you can make another SPI

-when you switch SOI, the SPI will remain, even if it was generated by previous SOI which is no longer active

SOI is the sensor which designates/makes/sets a SPI

SPI is the point on the ground or in the air that was designated by a sensor (SOI)

Edited by Dagger71

No, you don't. Your aicraft is continously generating a SPI. You don't set a new SPI, you change the sensor which is generating the SPI. And you do that by TMS fwd long, which sets your current SOI as SPI generator
^This

It is a common misunderstanding for beginners.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

^This

It is a common misunderstanding for beginners.

And that's exactly what OP is suggesting to change in the manual.

Currently it says "Make SPI" which makes no sense, at least until you eventually figure it out as a beginner. Should say something that more clearly represent the "assignment" of SPI from the currently selected SOI, be it a TGP, MAV, HUD (IFFCC), TAD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

It's in the wording.

This is from the 279159970-T-O-1A-10C-1-Flight-Manual-USAF-Series-a-10C-2012

page 544 Figure 1-161. A-10C Stick Controls Functional Definitions - Continued

TMS Fwd Long Make SPI

page 562-563

The SOI is defined as the sensor that is currently being controlled.

With only one sensor allowed to be SOI at a time, multitasked

controls (specifically, HOTAS) are uniquely allocated

to that SOI-capable sensor. SOI-capable sensors are the HUD,

Maverick, TGP, and TAD.

SPI.

The SPI is defined as the point in three-dimensional space that

the system uses as a unique reference for other functions, such

as weapons delivery, off-board transmission, and sensor slaving.

A sensor can define the SPI only when it is the SOI, but once

defined, the SPI is not necessarily confined to the SOI. For example,

a change in SOI does not necessarily mean that the SPI

changes. A SPI is always present unless there is an error condition

such as a failed CDU. Incorporation of Datalink allows

transmission of the SPI off-board. For a detailed description of

SOI, and SPI, refer to TO 1A-10C-34-1-1.

There is no such thing as SPI generator in the manual. It's a made up term that people use to explain how it works in DCS, "It is a common misunderstanding for beginners."

Other examples

The only way to get steer point (or mark points) to become SPI is

TMS AFT LONG REGARDLESS OF SOI.

The IFCC can NEVER be SOI but it can be a SPI (HUD SOI TMS AFT short)

With TAD as SOI you Make a SPI with TMS FWD LONG. The TAD cursor does NOT remain SPI.

A SPI CAN be defined by the SOI. The sensor does NOT become the SPI. Yes in with TGP/MAV/HUD the cue will remain SPI and can slew until you select a new SOI/or make a new SPI (other than TMS FWD LONG)

. There are 4 ways (3+ hook an offboard SPI) to make a SPI and TMS FORWARD LONG will only "make a SPI" with TAD/HUD/MAV/TGP as SOI. So it would be wrong to define TMS Forward LONG - SPI generator.

So a SPI is a point in 3 dimensional space that was made by a SOI or by any of the other 3 methods. It is a cue.

DCS has it right.

***I removed the link to the document since it is a DOD/US Airforce controlled document *************************

Edited by Dagger71

It's in the wording.

This is from the 279159970-T-O-1A-10C-1-Flight-Manual-USAF-Series-a-10C-2012

page 544 Figure 1-161. A-10C Stick Controls Functional Definitions - Continued

TMS Fwd Long Make SPI

page 562-563

The SOI is defined as the sensor that is currently being controlled.

With only one sensor allowed to be SOI at a time, multitasked

controls (specifically, HOTAS) are uniquely allocated

to that SOI-capable sensor. SOI-capable sensors are the HUD,

Maverick, TGP, and TAD.

SPI.

The SPI is defined as the point in three-dimensional space that

the system uses as a unique reference for other functions, such

as weapons delivery, off-board transmission, and sensor slaving.

A sensor can define the SPI only when it is the SOI, but once

defined, the SPI is not necessarily confined to the SOI. For example,

a change in SOI does not necessarily mean that the SPI

changes. A SPI is always present unless there is an error condition

such as a failed CDU. Incorporation of Datalink allows

transmission of the SPI off-board. For a detailed description of

SOI, and SPI, refer to TO 1A-10C-34-1-1.

There is no such thing as SPI generator in the manual. It's a made up term that people use to explain how it works in DCS, "It is a common misunderstanding for beginners."

Other examples

The only way to get steer point (or mark points) to become SPI is

TMS AFT LONG REGARDLESS OF SOI.

The IFCC can NEVER be SOI but it can be a SPI (HUD SOI TMS AFT short)

With TAD as SOI you Make a SPI with TMS FWD LONG. The TAD cursor does NOT remain SPI.

A SPI CAN be defined by the SOI. The sensor does NOT become the SPI. Yes in with TGP/MAV/HUD the cue will remain SPI and can slew until you select a new SOI/or make a new SPI (other than TMS FWD LONG)

. There are 4 ways (3+ hook an offboard SPI) to make a SPI and TMS FORWARD LONG will only "make a SPI" with TAD/HUD/MAV/TGP as SOI. So it would be wrong to define TMS Forward LONG - SPI generator.

So a SPI is a point in 3 dimensional space that was made by a SOI or by any of the other 3 methods. It is a cue.

DCS has it right.

***I removed the link to the document since it is a DOD/US Airforce controlled document *************************

That is why the DCS manual can be more precise and help newcomers to understand how it works. It is confusing people since the Openbeta.

"Make SPI" leads people to think "Create" like in creating a waypoint or markpoint.

"Set SPI" is a good compromise.

To be clear everybody posting in this thread until now, is fully aware and understands how it works. The question was to change the WORDING in the DCS Flight manual to better represent the way it works! Not changing anything in the Sim...

And by the way, the Original military documents even after decades of redaction have typos and errors sometimes. The benefit for military personnel is they have experienced pilots/trainers to ask, if in doubt and learn not only from reading the manuals. ;)

EDIT and one important detail: the sensor point of interest (SPI) is a constantly calculated/changing set of coordinates and can be transferred to a markpoint etc.

TMS FWD long sets the current SOI as SPI generator. E.g. the TGP or TDC can actively slew the SPI around while the coordinates are changing with it, without you never again "making" the new coordinates SPI with TMS FWD long. The SPI is constantly generated by the SOI.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

That is why the DCS manual can be more precise and help newcomers to understand how it works. It is confusing people since the Openbeta.

"Make SPI" leads people to think "Create" like in creating a waypoint or markpoint.

"Set SPI" is a good compromise.

To be clear everybody posting in this thread until now, is fully aware and understands how it works. The question was to change the WORDING in the DCS Flight manual to better represent the way it works! Not changing anything in the Sim...

And by the way, the Original military documents even after decades of redaction have typos and errors sometimes. The benefit for military personnel is they have experienced pilots/trainers to ask, if in doubt and learn not only from reading the manuals. ;)

EDIT and one important detail: the sensor point of interest (SPI) is a constantly calculated/changing set of coordinates and can be transferred to a markpoint etc.

TMS FWD long sets the current SOI as SPI generator. E.g. the TGP or TDC can actively slew the SPI around while the coordinates are changing with it, without you never again "making" the new coordinates SPI with TMS FWD long. The SPI is constantly generated by the SOI.

The wording is fine. It's been this way since the first A10C rolled off the block.

It's people's understanding of it. It might be a translation issue, I'm not sure.

A SPI IS A SINGLE POINT. The fact that the TGP, MAV, HUD TDC, and IFCC pipper can slew this point is is an important fact to know but you need to understand what is actually going on. When Broadcasting your SPI, it only broadcast the point that was SPI right before you hit DMS Left Long.

Others in this thread made the error of saying the SPI generator continuously generates the SPI. It is wrong way to think about it like that.

With TAD as SOI and you do TMS Forward Long it drops a SPI on the TAD target (after hooking) and no longer updates, generates or changes the SPI even if it remains SOI for the rest of the flight UNTIL you Make another SPI.

When you drop a SPI with TGP then switch to a another SOI, the TGP is no longer updating, generating or changing any sets of coordinates for the SPI. The SPI is locked as a single point that other systems can slew to even if the TGP has reached gimbal limit and the camera unwinds and is no longer pointing at the SPI!!!! The SPI will remain there until you designate another SPI.

When the TGP remains the SOI after you make a SPI, it is continuously UPDATING the SPI point to another point as you slew.

SPI points get replaced each time when

1)you are slewing the SPI with any of the SOIs mentioned above

2)you make a new SPI from another SOI

3)you make a SPI from any of the other 3 methods

You can call the TGP a SPI generator and the EDS manual few does use this term a few times (somebody mistranslated?) strangely even though they copy/pasted most of their other info directly from the military manual, but what newcomers need to understand is that when they make a SPI by any of the 4 methods it IS a marked point in 3D space.

Edited by Dagger71

EDIT and one important detail: the sensor point of interest (SPI) is a constantly calculated/changing set of coordinates and can be transferred to a markpoint etc..

Nope wrong. A SPI is not needed to create a Markpoint, even if TGP is "SPI generator" , it is the sensor creating the Markpoint NOT the SPI (Even if both the SPI and marpoint will have the exact same coordinates). A SOI is required to create a markpoint.

Edited by Dagger71

Thne final note about SPI. This is going to change your minds about what is SPI/SOI

When you have a SOI and press Make SPI.... what actually happens is the CDU takes a snapshot of what your sensor is pointing at. The sensor itself has nothing to do with generating a SPI, it is just an output device that the CDU uses to create the SPI. It will also use all onboard sensors and processors to make this into a precise 3D point reference.

When the SOI is a slewable sensor, the CDU gets updated at a refresh rate (unknown what it is) of the position of the SOI sensor to keep the SPI as acurate as possible. Again the SOI does none of these calculations, it send the sensor output directly to CDU.

Edited by Dagger71

Until you make a SPI with your current sensor, and override the previous SPI it will remain the previous SPI

That may well be the core of the wording issue here.

It sounds like you might suggest that a SPI (as in: the position of the SPI) only ever changes when TMS Forward Long ("Make SPI") is pressed again. But I believe we both agree that that is not the case.

I believe we both agree that the sensor that generates the SPI, as shown in the lower left corner of the HUD, can change the position of the SPI.

With STPT, it doesn't even need to be (nor can it be) SOI, but changing the steerpoint will then change the SPI.

With sensors like TGP, Mav and HUD (TDC) as SPI Generator, slewing these sensors will also slew the SPI (or reset the SPI Generator to STPT, in case the SPI would become invalid, like when slewing the A/G TGP into the sky).

With TAD as SPI Generator, hooking objects in the TAD will change the SPI.

In other words, as long as a sensor generates a SPI, that sensor can also change the SPI.

"Make SPI" indicates the exact opposite: It indicates that the current SPI, right at that particular moment, will remain SPI until another SPI is "made" the same way. That is simply wrong.

"Make SPI" gives a wrong impression of how it works in DCS. To the very best of my knowledge, the term "SPI Generator" was introduced on these forums by people with access to the real aircraft, so I'm assuming that DCS mimics the real suite 3 in a proper way and that RL SMEs let us in on their understanding.

And that is what I'm trying to get into the manual, because that's a reference that really should be as much to the point as possible.

And to the very best of my knowledge and understanding, the function of TMS Forward Long is: Set SPI Generator.

Now here's the good news: We don't need to agree. :P

I have faith that the powers that be at ED know how the system works, and if the proposed wording is more accurate in this regard.

I have very little faith that this will ever get implemented in the manual, because very few wishlist items ever seem to (from my point of view). But of course I'm always happy to discuss the matter for the next 25 pages. :D

No, you don't.

Yes, you do.

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

My Playgrounds: | Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |

i think there is way too much confusion on your part. Let me highlight.

I am now thinking this is really an issue with translation.

That may well be the core of the wording issue here.

It sounds like you might suggest that a SPI (as in: the position of the SPI) only ever changes when TMS Forward Long ("Make SPI") is pressed again. But I believe we both agree that that is not the case.

NOPE and I NEVER suggested otherwise. SPI can be changed by 4 methods. TMS FWD LONG is just one way.

I believe we both agree that the sensor that generates the SPI, as shown in the lower left corner of the HUD, can change the position of the SPI.

With STPT, it doesn't even need to be (nor can it be) SOI, but changing the steerpoint will then change the SPI.

Sure I said that as well.

With sensors like TGP, Mav and HUD (TDC) as SPI Generator, slewing these sensors will also slew the SPI (or reset the SPI Generator to STPT, in case the SPI would become invalid, like when slewing the A/G TGP into the sky).

With TAD as SPI Generator, hooking objects in the TAD will change the SPI.

In other words, as long as a sensor generates a SPI, that sensor can also change the SPI.

"Make SPI" indicates the exact opposite: It indicates that the current SPI, right at that particular moment, will remain SPI until another SPI is "made" the same way. That is simply wrong.

Nope that is not what I said. It will keep updating. When you move the SPI with the TGP you are technically only updating it. There is a refeesh rate for the SPI to get updated. We do not perceive this refresh rate anymore than we see each individual slides of a film

"Make SPI" gives a wrong impression of how it works in DCS. To the very best of my knowledge, the term "SPI Generator" was introduced on these forums by people with access to the real aircraft, so I'm assuming that DCS mimics the real suite 3 in a proper way and that RL SMEs let us in on their understanding.

Make SPI is the correct term and it is exactly how it works

The term spi Generator was brought up to help people understand how it works. It is not found anywhere in any documentation outside of DCS. It's a term I am starting to hate as it is obviously causing a lot of confusion.

And that is what I'm trying to get into the manual, because that's a reference that really should be as much to the point as possible.

And to the very best of my knowledge and understanding, the function of TMS Forward Long is: Set SPI Generator.

Nope it is MAKE SPI

Think of it this way, when TGP is SOI... TMS FRWD LONG is MAKE TGP SPI. does that help in your understanding?

Now here's the good news: We don't need to agree. tongue.gif

I have faith that the powers that be at ED know how the system works, and if the proposed wording is more accurate in this regard.

Why would it get updated when it is correct the way it is???

I have very little faith that this will ever get implemented in the manual, because very few wishlist items ever seem to (from my point of view). But of course I'm always happy to discuss the matter for the next 25 pages. biggrin.gif

Edited by Dagger71

Yes, you do.

To be honest I think this back and forth will continue for a long time.

Apart from Kidd the others who do not understand the terms are all german, so to me it's a translation issue.

But to the core of the OP.. Make SPI is in the official military document that ED copied word for word in many parts of the DCS manual. Set SPI generator is the wrong term and NOT at all what it describes. At least not in English. You are MAKING a Sensor POINT of Interest. A point in 3d Space.

Edited by Dagger71

I'm actually curious now, Yurgon, what is the description for TMS FWD LLONG in the German Manual?

The French Manual is "Crée un SPI" Which translated means "Create a SPI" which is even more precise, but the military loves using shortcuts so they went with Make SPI.

Edited by Dagger71

i think there is way too much confusion on your part. Let me highlight.

I am now thinking this is really an issue with translation.

Please don't reply inside of a quote. The forum doesn't allow an easy way of quoting that.

But we obviously agree on the mutual allegation of being confused about things. :smartass:

Set SPI generator is the wrong term and NOT at all what it describes. At least not in English. You are MAKING a Sensor POINT of Interest. A point in 3d Space.

How do you "make" or "create" a point in space then?

Making or creating something implies that it wasn't there before, but is now.

The SPI is always there (in an up-and-running A-10C, with no systems failures). Said SPI will have a 3D coordinate assigned to it. Changing/updating/desinating the SPI changes its assigned set of coordinates.

But it's not like a new point in space pops into existence. And it's not like something inside the A-10C or the CDU pops into existence. We're talking about a set of coordinates that can change.

This set of coordinates comes from one in a bunch of possible sources, and one such source can change/update the coordinates at any given time. Said source does not create the coordinates out of thin air (well... it kinda does, but let's leave aside the magic of digital databases, accurate ownship positions, and precise angular measurements :D), it really just changes or updates them. I would argue that "generating" these coordinates is still one of the most accurate descriptions available, hence... SPI Generator.

Would the concept make more sense to you when we call it "SPI Coordinate Generator"?

So far, it seems most people are not too confused about the idea of "generating a point" to mean "updating the coordinates of a point under certain circumstances".

It's a verbal concept to describe how this system works.

I'm actually curious now, Yurgon, what is the description for TMS FWD LLONG in the German Manual?

Not a clue.

When Broadcasting your SPI, it only broadcast the point that was SPI right before you hit DMS Left Long.

Last time I tested this, I'm pretty sure it worked differently from your description.

With TAD as SOI and you do TMS Forward Long it drops a SPI on the TAD target (after hooking) and no longer updates, generates or changes the SPI even if it remains SOI for the rest of the flight UNTIL you Make another SPI.

So, does hooking TAD objects qualify as "making a SPI"?

You can call the TGP a SPI generator and the EDS manual few does use this term a few times (somebody mistranslated?) strangely even though they copy/pasted most of their other info directly from the military manual, but what newcomers need to understand is that when they make a SPI by any of the 4 methods it IS a marked point in 3D space.

Well, yes. The Sensor Point of Interest is indeed a point. But what's yours?

I think there is a major translation issue here. Unfortunately we won't be getting anywhere. But to end this, it is make SPI. The DoD Airforce manual is very specific on what is a SPI. The initial SPI is the steerpoint. From this point on you can create a new SPI at anytime using any of the SOI or other 3 methods. I've been through this many times already.

I have answered all your questions in previous post.

I hope correcting your TAD SPI statement, helps you to understand.

Hooking a TAD symbol is NOT making a SPI.

You hook the symbol then "Make SPI" .

Would the concept make more sense to you when we call it "SPI Coordinate Generator"?

NO. not at all.

The Manual is right. it is make SPI.

If you want to change the German manual, go for it. But for any English players here, the only term to use is Make or even Set SPI. Set SPI generator can be too confusing as it is too similar to Set Sensor Of Interest Command.

Besides Set SPI Generator does not describe what it is actually doing.

At this point I might put a post in Wish list to have the words Set SPI Generator removed from here for good!!

We don't need any changes regarding the Make SPI command.

I think there is a major translation issue here. Unfortunately we won't be getting anywhere. But to end this, it is make SPI. The DoD Airforce manual is very specific on what is a SPI. The initial SPI is the steerpoint. From this point on you can create a new SPI at anytime using any of the SOI or other 3 methods. I've been through this many times already.

I have answered all your questions in previous post.

I hope correcting your TAD SPI statement, helps you to understand.

NO. not at all.

If you want to change the German manual, go for it. But for any English players here, the only term to use is Make or even Set SPI. Set SPI generator can be too confusing as it is too similar to Set Sensor Of Interest Command.

At this point I might put a post in Wish list to have the words Set SPI Generator removed from here for good!!

Nobody Talks about the German translation, or the German manual. We reference the ED A-10C Flight Manual.

Shagrat

When Broadcasting your SPI, it only broadcast the point that was SPI right before you hit DMS Left Long.

Please, make your TGP SOI and press TMS UP LONG, then DMS LEFT LONG. Now slew the TGP and notice the Broadcast "SPI" move around the moving map in real time, while the SPI is constantly updating though you NOT pressing TMS UP LONG again?

Others in this thread made the error of saying the SPI generator continuously generates the SPI. It is wrong way to think about it like that.

Yep, as per the broadcast SPI updating with the SOI moving.

When you drop a SPI with TGP then switch to a another SOI, the TGP is no longer updating, generating or changing any sets of coordinates for the SPI. The SPI is locked as a single point that other systems can slew to even if the TGP has reached gimbal limit and the camera unwinds and is no longer pointing at the SPI!!!! The SPI will remain there until you designate another SPI.

Nope! Just fly instant action Caucasus "Easy - East Georgia - Spring" Mission.

Don't touch the TMS hat. Switch to "WP3 Supply" with the STEER rocker on the UFC. Notice the SPI marker (line) extending from waypoint 3. Now, drop the GBU-38 on the SPI without ever touching the TMS hat. Now switch to "WP4 Camp", again with the STEER rocker and not touching the TMS hat. Notice the SPI now extending from waypoint 4 without ever updating the coordinates by pressing TMS UP LONG. Now drop the remaining GBU-38 on the SPI that magically moved to WP4... because the SPI is constantly (!) computed/generated, even without commanding any SOI as SPI generator and passed to the GBU-38 when pressing and holding bomb release.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

Shagrat is right. The SPI is constantly updating, even if the SPI generating sensor is not SOI.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think there is a major translation issue here.

Well, you complained that the English DCS manual potentially suffers from a bad translation, you keep alleging that the German manual might have gotten things wrong (no idea why; I've never looked at the German DCS manual, and you do not seem to have first hand insight, either), then you argued that the best translation so far is in the French DCS manual.

Meanwhile, the term "SPI Generator" was not invented by me, but has been used on this forum by people I am positive are native English speakers and at the same time very familiar with the A-10C in DCS and, in some cases, also IRL as well.

Might I inquire about your native language(s)? I'm starting to think the translation issue could be on your end.

Unfortunately we won't be getting anywhere. But to end this, it is make SPI. The DoD Airforce manual is very specific on what is a SPI. The initial SPI is the steerpoint. From this point on you can create a new SPI at anytime using any of the SOI or other 3 methods. I've been through this many times already.

You have indeed, but you never answered how you would "make" a point. The SPI is a point, and you argue that the only way to think of it is "make a SPI", which is to say "make a sensor point of interest". So what does it mean, making or creating that point?

Like shagrat also said, hooking another TAD symbol with TAD as SPI (Generator) will update the SPI (or its coordinates, to be more precise). Very easy to verify by slaving other sensors to SPI or broadcasting SPI in MP.

Please, get over the German manual thing. No one besides you is talking about that.

I really don't see any potential confusion between "Set SOI" and "Set SPI Generator". Just because you got confused in post #2 doesn't mean everyone else is.

I bow to your infinite wisdom, sir, and agree to resolve the matter at hand like gentlemen.

You're wrong, I'm right, and the manual should be updated like suggested in post #1, and that's final.

See, that was a very easy solution. So long and thanks for all the fish. :)

I knew this is what was going to happen.

Please contact the US Airforce and the US DoD and force them to change their manual and training which has been in use for the past 40 years.

Until then the DCS Manual stays the way it is.

Call it the WhirlyBird Dynamo Creator for all I care, just don't touch the manual.

As for the rest of the previous posts please re-read my detailed explanation of what is a SPI and how it works. I am no longer interested in counter posts with people who are not interested in understanding.

PS. The SPI is a single point in 3d space that gets updated.

That is all

Thank you.

Edited by Dagger71