Alternative to the CH Pro Throttle

A question to those who have replaced their CH Pro Throttle with another brand of throttle.

I fly DCS in Windows 10 using a VKB Gladiator stick, CH rudder and a CH Pro Throttle.

I am very happy with the VKB Gladiator stick and the CH Rudder, but no longer satisfied with the CH Pro Throttle.

I am not a computer guru so prefer everything to be “Plug and Play” so I can spend my time enjoying DCS and not maintaining the system.

Most of the time the CH Pro Throttle works in DCS, but I have the same problem as others when moving the throttle from OFF to IDLE and back again.

What I am looking for in a replacement throttle is:

Easy to install and maintain while using in a Windows 10 environment.

Easy to use while wearing a VR headset, something the CH Pro Throttle is very good at because of its easy to access buttons. There is no need to lift the bottom of the VR headset to visually locate a button as is sometimes the case with my VKB Gladiator stick.

I would also like a dual throttle to use on the twin engined aircraft.

Any suggestions from those wiser and more experienced in these matters than myself?

Cheers

I would also like a dual throttle to use on the twin engined aircraft.

Then, the options is Warthog throttle ($280) or VPC T50 CM throttle (€320).

Or an used Saitek X-55/56 if find in eBay or similar places, but with good chance in get a "lemon".

But since you are satisfied with VKB stick, why just don't replace the pot of CH throttle (~$5 in Digikey) what require use just a Philips screwdriver and pliers, and await VKB TCS throttle release - with luck at end of this year, more probable in the next.

Still fly with my TWCS Throttle - as I can‘t decide which one to go for - and actually still love it.

Great value for the money but no individual 2 engine control though.

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

I bought my TM WH throttle in 2013 and logged hundreds of flight hours on the A-10C and probably thousands of hours with all my modules combined. I have never had to replace any button. Some of the switches are located behind the throttle lever and difficult to use when you are on full throttle. The issue with the slew control is a bit exaggerated. I've used it with Mavericks, CBU-105, LGB-12 etc probably thousands of times. Yes, it is not very good but no reason to trash my throttle. When I have to replace it I will probably buy the one from VIRPIL.

PS: not sure what problem you have moving from OFF to IDLE. The TM WH throttle has a switch in each of its 2 levers that makes when you move from IDLE to OFF and breaks when you move to IDLE. Works perfectly with all my modules, incl. both jets and WWII.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

CH Throotle

Thanks for the replies.

To clarify what I meant about going from OFF to IDLE, I will refer you to the many excellent posts to the CH forum about this problem. Those more knowledgeable about these matters can explain the problem better than myself.

From reading the CH forum posts it appears to me that the problems with the CH Throttle are a result of the decision by the CH products manufacturer to concentrate on their Industrial related products at the expense of their Flight Simulator products such as the CH Pro Throttle.

So it appears that the CH Pro Throttle software has not been updated to accommodate Windows 10.

I have not experienced any problems with my CH Pro Throttle with the Condor gliding simulator and X Plane 11.

I have no problems using the CH Pro Throttle when flying the Mirage 2000, which is my favourite DCS aircraft, because the throttle simply travels from 0% to 100% and back to 0%.

But when flying the F5E the throttle cant return to the IDLE position ready for shut down because of what appears to be a calibration problem. Recalibrating the Throttle does not solve the problem for me but some have managed to recalibrate their CH Throttle.

So anticipating that the problems with the CH Flight Simulator products will increase because CH are not updating the software used by their Flight Simulator products, I am looking for an alternative to the CH Pro Throttle to use with DCS.

Thanks again for your suggestions which I have been researching.

Cheers

You might check your button binds . The aircraft i fly have binds for ground idle and ab . These allow engine shutdown and ab control . (Caveat-i don't have the F5) . The CH can be calibrated in the CM software , but as you noted , that's all it's good for with Win10 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

.. flying the Mirage 2000, which is my favourite DCS aircraft, because the throttle simply travels from 0% to 100% and back to 0%.

But when flying the F5E the throttle cant return to the IDLE position ready for shut down because of what appears to be a calibration problem.

This sounds more a module problem than hardware (CH throttle) problem. Perhaps a custom curve (in DCS controls options) for throttle axis help.

If joystick software is important for you (other than for calibration) Joystick Gremlin is a reasonable alternative for CH soft Windows 10 issues.

Thing is that buying a TWCS you are not improving the hardware, this "entry level" throttle use more cheap components, and have stiction problem in their (no so) S.M.A.R.T. rail system, requiring a tube of Nyogel 767A for really improve.

The F5 requires a switch input for the transition from IDLE to OFF and vice versa, which the M2000 doesn't use. Isn't that what you are after, Johnr666?

The TM WH throttle and the VIRPIL throttle have such a switch built into the throttle lever.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

After further tests I have re-confirmed my CH Pro Throttle does have a problem with the throttle moving from the OFF position to the IDLE position in aircraft such as the L-38 Albatross and the Harrier.

I believe this problem is caused by CH no longer updating their software.

When I Bind the DCS throttle axis to the throttle on my VKB Gladiator Pro everything works as it should.

I have placed an order for a VIRPIL throttle but until it arrives I will make do with the VKB Gladiator Pro throttle.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Cheers